Because there are never enough Newbies... Hi!

Options
Merithyn
Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
Hallo, all.

Pleasure to meet everyone! I'm 12 years into surgical menopause and feeling great! Finally done with hot flashes, emotional swings, and uncontrolled weight gain. (Yeah, I know. If I'd eaten right and exercised more, I wouldn't have had uncontrolled weight gain. But it happened so fast and nothing I knew worked anymore that it was... well... uncontrolled.)

My hysterectomy was done in four surgeries, culminating in a complete rout when cancer was found on my last ovary. Add in my C-sections and I've been cut open from hip to hip a total of eight times. This had caused innumerable problems with core muscle strength, so it's what I try to focus most on in my exercise. Well, that and cardio.

I struggle with high blood pressure (common in my family when women hit menopause) and borderline diabetes (see: high blood pressure comment). My doctor told me that losing weight would help with my overall health, but that the hbp and diabetes were likely a permanent fixture in my life. Joy! So, I'm about getting fit and as healthy as I can and NOT worrying about those other things.

Anyway, happy to meet you all!
Meri

Replies

• berthamh
    berthamh Posts: 5
    Options
    Meri,
    Thank you for sharing your story! I too have had c-sections as well. I guess with my age, this time around the healing of the surgery has taken so much longer it seems. On top of that, my fears have not helped. Pathology came back negative; however, my own imagination always gets the best of me and my body image of course, isn't the greatest......So off to the gym and eating right!

I am sorry they found cancer and I hope you are doing well now. Thank you for being so supportive!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Wow! Glad you've made it through all those surgeries! I hope you are on the path to wellness now! Menopause certainly brought a new set of challenges to us all. Weight gain in the middle, hot flashes, sagging skin - how fun! But, making good diet and exercise decisions will help combat all those symptoms in addition to helping us look better and feet better about ourselves. This is a great place for support. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Wow! Glad you've made it through all those surgeries! I hope you are on the path to wellness now!

I definitely am, though it took quite a while for me to really kick it into gear. At one point, I walked with a cane. Now, I've walked three half-marathons in 18 months. As for the cancer, they managed to find it soon enough that I avoided all of the icky meds. Regular testing for five years, and now I'm free and clear! (Well, except for the familial cancers that might still crop up. I just refuse to think about those. :happy: )

And thank you for the welcome. It feels so good to be with people who understand - REALLY understand. :heart:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hello Welcome!