Never thought I'd have to ask this - how to eat enough

Options
Key part of that being though, how do I eat enough HEALTHILY

I don't mind (not in the slightest LOL) having to top up with a bit of icecream or chocolate some days, but I've worked really hard to kick my daily junk food habits, and I don't want to get back in the habit.

So what else are some good natural foods I can tuck into that will bump up the calories? I eat almonds a bit, but to be honest I'm not a massive fan of nuts. Could munch roasted salted peanuts all day? but they're a bit salty really I'd have thought.

Variety is good too. Last couple of nights I've whipped up an apple crumble for dessert which has worked quite well to add an extra 400 cal or so (between the fruit, butter, sugar and oats) but need some quick no effort snacks as well I think.

Wow - never ever in my life have I had to ask how to eat enough! Loving this way of life though, I can actually be bothered going to the gym. Had to pretty much force myself off the exercycle tonight after an hour because I'm lifting tomorrow so didn't want to overdo it!

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy is a good way to bump the calories, greek yogurt!

Peanut butter and other nut butters.

Healthy fats really help as well, add an extra serving of a healthy oil like olive oil into your diet (you can even add it into a smoothie).

Avocado

Protein bars
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Some things that I use, in addition to HeidiHoMom, Cans of tuna are great, I can eat them plain out of the can, if you can't then try adding salsa or some fat free mayo, Protein Powder drinks is another I mix mine with water but you can add milk for another 100 cals or so. One of my favorite before bed snacks is a glass of fat free milk and a couple scoops chocolate milk. These are all things I use, since I am on a tight budget with my eating I have to be creative sometimes LOL

Bump for other suggestions...it is hard to get those healthy cals :noway:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest struggle since starting a full TDEE reset. It's really easy to hit my goal with junk, but I don't want that food to become a regular thing or a crutch.

Protein shakes (I use Muscle Milk brand)
    Avocado
    Olive oil
    Greek yogurt
    Granola
    Full-fat condiments (salad dressing, mayo, etc)
    Peanut butter
    Whole grain bread
    Double-servings of protein
    Canned tuna

It has also really helped me to plan to eat every two hours or so. If I save too many calories for meals, I have issues.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    you can look at my diary!

i have NO problem getting the cals in. :blushing:

of course, i do not hesitate to reach for a treat. if i meet my protein goal with cals to spare, i get treats!!
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you have time to cook, try baking and freezing 100% whole wheat muffins (add ins for different flavors) too.........also, pretty much what everybody else has already said. I've eating clean for the last 2 months, so most everything I have I make from scratch, with a few carefully chosen, but as clean as possible exceptions. If you can make things yourself, you have to ultimate control over what is IN your food.

Right now I am struggling a little as I decided to jump into EM2WL in the middle of a grocery shopping cycle, so I hadn't pre-planned on extra food and am scrambling to find extra stuff to eat. It should be easier after the next shopping trip.