fun things for being "active" without "exercising"

Options
Jebbster007
Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
Hey all.....even though I call this group the hoofers club, it's not just about tap but in all ways it is dedicated to finding anything and everything out there that can keep our bodies active without it feeling like the dreaded "E" word. Would welcome any ideas or suggestions from folks who have found fun stuff to do that can disguised as exercising. Anyone?

Replies

• Gyoza11
    Gyoza11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Dance has always been a favorite for me. Never been able to stick to any exercise other than dancing.
  • KathyJSR
    KathyJSR Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Dance - specifically clogging, for me. Used to swim at local Y during lunch hour - you don't sweat when you swim! Unfortunately, Y closed. I also count working in yard - my flowerbeds always need more attention. It's work, gets hot outside(Texas) very quickly this time of year, but the "reward" greets me every time I pull up to the house.
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Swimming is so great for you because it works so many muscles at the same time. If you access to a pool. Sorry about the "Y" closing, what a bummer.
  • adfabus
    adfabus Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    One of the things my husband and I enjoy doing is geocaching. We find it fun without even thinking about the walking we do to find that cache.

One of the other things we do is go walking trails on the weekends. We have a lot of nature preserves where we live and we go exploring! We look at it as a nature adventure and have a blast. Before we know it we have walked 2 miles!

My hubby wanted to lose well over 100lbs and since he has been using MFP - in 7 weeks- he has lost 31lbs!!!

By the way, the walking has given me more energy and I feel great! I have even started exercising!
  • DriniLove
    DriniLove Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think dance is top. But if you are competative and can find someone who likes the same sports that's always an option. The problem is when you are trying to get fit you don't want to join the jock community groups that are currently in shape. Remember when you were a kid and you could play sports like manhunt, and hide and seek, and kickball, wouldn't it be nice to do that as adults every once in a while? just saying. Walking is very nice to because you can talk and walk, or go alone and clear your mind.
  • jerzanka
    jerzanka Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Walking is always great! I love to walk with my friend, we mostly go to the woods and just walk in silence. I also like to swim, but I hate wearing swimming suit in public, I have really ugly legs and I don't like the way I look, so it's kind of problematic. Dancing is great too. I generally like winter sports such as ice skating and skiing. Summer is too hot for me, but I also try to ride a bike a lot and skating. Generally I'm quite active, but I hate this E-activity ;)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I tap dance, for the sake of tap dancing, not for the sake of exercising.