Newly Diagnosed

Options
sherry98008
sherry98008 Posts: 11 Member
Hi everyone--I've been lurking here for about 6 weeks, but I just got my latest tests back and thought I'd introduce myself. I've had no symptoms, other than the inability to lose weight quickly, and I didn't realize anything was wrong until a routine blood test 6 weeks ago when I had my annual check up. I was rather surprised when they called me and said that my TSH came back a little elevated (6.68). We tested me again yesterday and now my TSH is 8.22 (free T3 is 3.3 and free T4 is 0.7) which means that it's getting worse.

I think it's really strange how I don't have any symptoms other than the weight loss issue. From reading posts here it looks like if I cut back on my carbs and increase my protein, I may have success. I love my carbs! I do work out regularly.

We're leaving for a road trip this weekend so I'm going to wait to start on meds until we get back.

Sherry

Replies

• beeceezee
    beeceezee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group.
    I am new to this board as well.
    I go for a blood test tomorrow to see if my levels have stabalized.
    But my levels have been all out of whack since giving birth a year ago.
    I didn't have too many symptoms either other than difficulty losing weight and fatigue.

Good luck on starting the meds.
    Feel free to add me!
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou: beeceezee & Sherry,
    This site is so good, you will learn lots.
    I have had wonderful results with virgin coconut oil & vitamin D3, selinium, and low protein diet.... also avoiding gluten. The Dr has taken me off my meds, and I'm hopeful that my levels will still be in normal range next month again.
  • beeceezee
    Options
    Wow that's wonderful, Debby!
    What does a typical meal look like for you, since you are gluten-free and low protein.
    Just curious! Thanks a bunch.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to look at my food diary, its open. :bigsmile:
  • beeceezee
    Options
    Wonderful!
    I will do that.

• heinrichs21
    heinrichs21 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I know it can seem scary at first but really you can control it. If you have any question feel free to ask me or add me as a friend.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming they'll put you on something (either Armour, Synthroid, or Levothyroxine, since those are the big ones). My biggest advice? Don't feel down when things don't change right away. The half-lifes on thyroid meds are a bit long, and changes take a big longer to see (3-6 months). THEN, if that + diet changes don't help, try switching meds--sometimes people do well on synthetic, sometimes they do better on natural.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself -- www.stopthethyroidmadness.com -- there's a link on this site for symptoms of hypothyroidism... you would be amazed at the list. For example, I've had chronic vertigo and ringing in ears for over 25 years -- until I started educating myself and meeting other people with hypo, I had no idea is was one of the symptoms. But easily 50% of the people I talk to with hypo have vertigo! Ditto for insomnia, constipation, insulin resistance, menstrual issues (I had endometrios in my early days resulting in a hysterectomy). Other symptoms include Vitamin D deficiency (inability to absorb vitamin d from sunlight), Iron deficiency, B12 deficiency and many, many more.
  • sherry98008
    sherry98008 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the great advice.

I've seen things about the virgin coconut oil and I think I'll check into that. I've already started on D3 two months ago since I was showing up as "insufficient." I had been losing my hair and since I started on the D3 I'm not losing it anymore, thank goodness!

I know I'm blessed in that I don't seem to have bothersome symptoms. My heart goes out to those of you who are suffering through this.
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I never had any symptoms ever, so I don't think you're alone in that! I did faint a few times but I was stressed/not eating properly (i.e. at all). Ultimately, I weighed 149 at age 18, got down to 125 at age 21, started gaining weight and found out I was hypothyroid at age 23, up to 151, and since then have been on meds. So I don't really think my weight was ever really linked to my condition, given that Iw as nearly as heavy when I wasn't hypo. In any case, being ON meds helps tremendously with weight loss efforts. I went off ofr a week (unintentionally) and I gained 3lbs in a week! So stick to your meds as a part of your healthy lifestyle :-)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I never had any symptoms ever, so I don't think you're alone in that! I did faint a few times but I was stressed/not eating properly (i.e. at all). Ultimately, I weighed 149 at age 18, got down to 125 at age 21, started gaining weight and found out I was hypothyroid at age 23, up to 151, and since then have been on meds. So I don't really think my weight was ever really linked to my condition, given that Iw as nearly as heavy when I wasn't hypo. In any case, being ON meds helps tremendously with weight loss efforts. I went off ofr a week (unintentionally) and I gained 3lbs in a week! So stick to your meds as a part of your healthy lifestyle :-)

With all due respect, the 3lb weight gain in a week couldn't have been off of a week off your meds ;) You wouldn't have started to notice effects until at least 2 weeks after.