EM2WL & Pregnancy

Options
Hey all! So I just started EM2WL about a week ago and LOVE it:) I've lost weight, I'm enjoying lifting, and I'm getting up there with my hitting my macros!

My husband and I have started thinking we want a little one in the near future. Are there guidelines for practicing this while pregnant? Obviously I know I can't strain myself and whatnot, but I'm wondering when I do become pregnant, what steps I need to follow and what I need to forget about? Anything I should know?

Please note- I have the book and am reading it, but so far have read nothing about pregnancy (I'm about 40% via the Kindle). Sorry if there's any info I haven't gotten to in there, or here on the group.

Replies

• Alisi1234
    Alisi1234 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Id love to know also!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi there we don't have a book....maybe one day.

I wouldnt cut calories during pegnancy. I would eat maintenance and hit my macros . Ofcourse you should follow the advice of your dr. My dr is from england and says american women gain too much wgt during pregnancy. He says you don't need to gain more than 10lbs. I wish I had him for all my pregnancies. He was the first one to up my thyroid med immed which stopped the excessive wgt gain. The body needs more during pregnancy.
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options
    I am in the same boat and DH and I will start trying soon. I only gained 12 lbs with my first pregnancy but was overweight to begin with so my doctor was thrilled. I'm just going to try to continue my healthy eating through my pregnancy and up my calories by 300 or so assuming I can do a similar level of activity.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am by no means a doctor but was told by mine that rule of thumb is an extra 300 calories a day. Advice....DO NOT EAT FOR TWO! If you are too sick to exercise at least get in a walk a day! Good luck when you get there!! That's all :D
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I am by no means a doctor but was told by mine that rule of thumb is an extra 300 calories a day. Advice....DO NOT EAT FOR TWO! If you are too sick to exercise at least get in a walk a day! Good luck when you get there!! That's all :D

Ya, the second 'person' isn't adult sized! lol
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hey all! So I just started EM2WL about a week ago and LOVE it:) I've lost weight, I'm enjoying lifting, and I'm getting up there with my hitting my macros!

My husband and I have started thinking we want a little one in the near future. Are there guidelines for practicing this while pregnant? Obviously I know I can't strain myself and whatnot, but I'm wondering when I do become pregnant, what steps I need to follow and what I need to forget about? Anything I should know?

Please note- I have the book and am reading it, but so far have read nothing about pregnancy (I'm about 40% via the Kindle). Sorry if there's any info I haven't gotten to in there, or here on the group.

Are you referring to the NROLFW?

If you are here is an article I found on the subject.

http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/blog/Fit+Pregnancy+Interview+Series+Part+9/

You might find it useful!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I wouldnt cut calories during pegnancy. I would eat maintenance and hit my macros . Ofcourse you should follow the advice of your dr. My dr is from england and says american women gain too much wgt during pregnancy. He says you don't need to gain more than 10lbs. I wish I had him for all my pregnancies. He was the first one to up my thyroid med immed which stopped the excessive wgt gain. The body needs more during pregnancy.

Only 10lbs!? My babies alone were 10lbs! :laugh:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You might need an extra 300 kcal towards the end of your pregnancy but for sure not in the beginning.

I was always lucky and never gained more than 16 lbs with all three of my pregnancies. But I always increased my Thyroid medication by 50%, I think that helped a lot.

And if you were active and did workout before you fell pregnant you can do so also when you are pregnant. Of course if there are no problems with the pregnancy etc. I would not really do heavy lifting or things like Insanity but I think it is important to stay active during pregnancy. It is good for you and for the baby.
  • saraoverbeck
    Options

Ooops, I meant NROLFW:)

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! 10 lbs doesn't sound like a lot at all! I'm trying to lose a bit more weight first, to help with the unofficially disgnosed PCOS (a Dr. said I have it, but for various reasons I can't get tested-which the test doesn't mean anything- so I can't get metformin or other meds to help). Of course I'll ask my dr, but since I'm not pregnant yet, I'm just checking out my options:)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You might need an extra 300 kcal towards the end of your pregnancy but for sure not in the beginning.

I was always lucky and never gained more than 16 lbs with all three of my pregnancies. But I always increased my Thyroid medication by 50%, I think that helped a lot.

And if you were active and did workout before you fell pregnant you can do so also when you are pregnant. Of course if there are no problems with the pregnancy etc. I would not really do heavy lifting or things like Insanity but I think it is important to stay active during pregnancy. It is good for you and for the baby.

You are so fortunate...I had two different docs for the first 4 babies and none of them increased my meds until I was obviously lowwwwww....the fifth baby, eating perfect and working out like I always had...gained 20lbs by the 4th month and thank GOD I switched to my English dr he upped me immediately and the weight gained slowed almost to a halt. In the last few months I gained 11lbs...so had my med been adjusted from the beginning, I may have gained 15/16 uggh.... Each pregnancy before that was like 50lbs...just ridiculous!..lol

And the whole thing about eating for two...oh my. Your body really does let you know when it is hungry especially during pregnancy. My dr says in Europe the females don't gain even a pound sometimes (I am not advocating dieting during pregnancy or not trying to gain, etc...) they keep up the walking, eat healthy (Oh it is a different world over there when it comes to foods, restaurants..etc.) and the babies are only .2 lbs on avg smaller than american babies. Something to really think about. Why do they say eat for two? I mean really. My last pregnancy was the absolute best one and I was almost 40. I was on bedrest for all the other babies, but not this last time. I climbed four flights of stairs as I do today, every single day, and gained a total of 31lbs...I so wish I kept eating the way I did during the pregnancy, instead of trying to slash calories drastically right after, then binging because it wasn't working and shot back up to almost the weight I was when I delivered...ughhh..oh sorry I digress...lol...got a Kiki ramble going on:laugh:
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i gained 50 lbs while pregnant with my daughter...and now i am on MFP, LOL.

I have some friend sof which i am super jealous of the bounced back IN NO TIME. suspiciously so. They all have the same things in common:
    -they were fit & active BEFORE pregnancy
    -they continued to exercise as long as they were able INTO their pregnancy
    --they didnt stuff their faces for 6 months AFTER the baby was born and just pretended it was all still "baby fat"

ugh. seriously. im SOOOO doing things differently next time around! good luck!!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was lucky, with the meds. But don't be fooled that things here in Europe are so much different when it comes to weight gain during pregnancy.

But all three of my girls weighed exactly the same lol 3.25kg. Don't ask me what's that in lbs. around 7 I guess.

I feel especially here in the UK the eating habits from people are really bad.
    I am originally from Austria ( we love to cook), and I was lucky to be raised by a mom who always cooked and fed us in a very clean way. When I was a kid I did not enjoy that so much though lol. FastFood was always a no in my childhood. When I was old enough to try it, I didn't like it one bit-thankfully.

So, now I start to ramble lol