Breakfast Ideas

Options
zephyrindc
zephyrindc Posts: 12 Member
I tend to save my cooking creativity for dinner so at breakfast I rotate similar foods over the month. Typically I start with 0% Fage or other Greek yogurt. This stuff is a godsend in my opinion - other creamy yogurts have way too much fat and the fat-free ones either taste terrible or are not very thick. I usually add some chopped up seasonal fruit (today it was strawberries, a little early in the season, but it's been really warm this winter) or frozen fruit without sugar, a sprinkling of whole-grain cereal with protein, like Kashi, and a drizzle of honey. Fruit + dairy + carbs + fiber + protein without too much fat. Add a cup of espresso-strength coffee and I could almost pretend I'm in France. Almost. :wink:

What do you normally eat for breakfast?

Replies

• alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I love Mediterranean food but usually only eat it for dinner or lunch (going to make a Mediterranean stew to feed off this weekend).

What warm foods are there that I could have for breakfast? I suppose I could carry on eating what I eat but it's fun to change things up every now and again. I just can't handle cold food like yoghurt at the moment because it's autumn and things are getting pretty chilly!
  • zephyrindc
    zephyrindc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree I find breakfast is usually cold for me most times of the year because I don't have time to make a hot breakfast and don't own a microwave, and I don't fancy oatmeal. I am thinking that I should be a bit more open-minded about oatmeal with nice things mixed in, like cinnamon and fresh fruits and honey. If you do own a microwave, I read a suggestion of baking eggs with a bit of cheese and meat in a muffin tin, which gives you a perfect serving size and then you can just reheat it and pop it between two slice of bread or eat it as it. Sounds brilliant, makes me wish my apartment had a built-in microwave!

What's your stew recipe? Maybe you could post it in the dinner thread?
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I agree I find breakfast is usually cold for me most times of the year because I don't have time to make a hot breakfast and don't own a microwave, and I don't fancy oatmeal. I am thinking that I should be a bit more open-minded about oatmeal with nice things mixed in, like cinnamon and fresh fruits and honey. If you do own a microwave, I read a suggestion of baking eggs with a bit of cheese and meat in a muffin tin, which gives you a perfect serving size and then you can just reheat it and pop it between two slice of bread or eat it as it. Sounds brilliant, makes me wish my apartment had a built-in microwave!

What's your stew recipe? Maybe you could post it in the dinner thread?

I've made eggs in muffin trays in the oven before - I put a buttered piece of bread butter side down, cracked in an egg,added salt, pepper, covered with a slice of tomato and sprinkled with cheese - could be done easily without the bread but would need non-stick muffin tins

My stew is really basic, haha, Basically Mediterranean herb paste sautéed with onion, add chopped eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus. Then add a tin of tomatoes and some vegie stock, then when vegies are almost done add a can of chickpeas.
    Sooo yum, I make enough for about 4 meals at a time (I use a whole eggplant, approx 4-5 zucchini, 4-5 mushroom, 1 bunch asparagus, 2C stock) and it's about 200-250 calories per meal. I usually have it with toast haha. The only issue is that it is high sodium due to the stock. Could use low-sodium stock but the stock I use is sooo delicious.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Here's something that's good for breakfast but requires advance preparation, though fortunately, it freezes well. A really popular food in Israel is shakshuka - eggs poached in spicy tomato sauce. The basic recipe is to take some chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped peppers (spiciness of your choosing, and herbs and spices of your choosing, and to cook it down into a chunky tomato sauce. I advise putting the prepared sauce into individual serving tuperware containers for freezing and easy defrosting. Then you take a serving of the sauce (probably about 2 cups?), put it into a small frying pan, and use it to poach two eggs.

Also good for lunch and dinner!
  • papa46368
    papa46368 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Shakshuka sounds great for breakfast. I have been on the ediet meal program which is delivered to my home once a week. The meals are prepared and all I have to do is microwave them at home or the office. The program has done well to kick-start my diet but it is not teaching me how to cook for myself. Breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day and the shashuka sounds like a good place to start. Does anyone have a tasty low-calorie bloody mary receipe?
  • grodems
    grodems Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I made a couscous cake the other day for breakfast and ate it with a poached egg. I'm new to the Mediterranean way so I'm not sure if eggs are ok, but I ate it and felt good. The couscous patty was easy. I just made the couscous according to the package directions than I added an egg and some fresh basil and some sliced sun-dried tomatoes and packed it into a 1/3 cup measuring cup, fried it in 1tbl of EVOO for 4 minutes per side, put the egg right over it and it was good. Next time I'm going to use dried fruit like mango and apricots and mint instead of basil. It made 7 patty's. I used the rest of them for my salmon dinner with a yam and apple hash.
  • grodems
    grodems Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also made a tarragon sauce for dinner for the fish and couscous patty. The kids thought the patty's were corn bread.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    In these days it's a cup of tea with a bit of lemon (the Italian way), and a couple of slices of brown bread. A bit of ricotta on the bread if I got up later and I'm hungry. Can't stand sugary breakfast stuff like biscuits at the moment.
  • gdweech
    gdweech Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm Greek, and you'd think my breakfasts would be more like yours but they aren't. My breakfasts are pretty boring. I have 2 small boiled eggs, cut in 4's. I sprinkle salt and pepper on them and poor a dollop of Extra Light Virgin Olive Oil and stir. All that brings out the flavor of the boring eggs and those puppies hold me until around 1:00 or 2:00 (I usually have breakfast at 8:00 or 9:00). Apparently this is how they used to eat in the mornings back in the day in the small villages on the smaller islands.
  • MommaGemz
    MommaGemz Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered overnight oats using thick rolled oats, almond milk, greek yogurt, and honey. Super convenient to just pull out of the fridge and eat when I'm having a hard time waking up 😆
  • g5bc7y8y74
    g5bc7y8y74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do overnight oats as well, it’s just so easy to prepare ahead of time and have as a grab and go meal. Sometimes I use organic maple syrup instead of honey, so yummy. I also add in some chia seeds and will chop up a banana or add fresh berries right before eating. If I’m extra hungry, I’ll stir in a spoonful of almond butter too.
  • irishwalj
    irishwalj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use two things for breakfast, chocolate chia seed pudding and overnight oats. I love them both and I hated oatmeal growing up. Both are made the night before. The chia seed pudding can be made in a larger quantity and put into one cup covered containers overnight. I'll add a smidge of stevia or an extract like almond, orange or vanilla.

The overnight oats, I use Quaker one-minute quick oats 1:1 with a milk, real or non-dairy. When I get up in the morning I'll add a little muesli, nuts and some cut up dried fruits.