Anyone wish they hadn't had the surgery?

Options
Im due to have my surgery in October. Just so many differing opinions i've heard. just wondering if anyone wishes they hadn't had the surgery?

Replies

• imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I think it is one of the best decisions that I have made! It has truly made a HUGE difference in my life. I am only 6 months out but already have seen and experienced so many different and positive changes from it! I couldn't be happier! I did want to get the sleeve so I could still have NSAIDS but my insurance would not cover it. My RNY has made me a different person. Good luck with your surgery!
  • Brett8118
    Brett8118 Posts: 15
    Options
    Had gastric sleeve back on March 12. Down almost 70 lbs. Never had any problems with malnutrition/vomiting/nausea. I still have mental cravings but I know that my stomach will not hold the huge amounts of food it once did. Getting the sleeve was a decision I should have made 10 years ago.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I had RNY on April 4th, 2012. Even though I am still fairly new out and I do have days with a grumpy pouch still I would do it all over again. My only regret is waiting so long to do it.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above! Wish I had done it sooner! My husband says never mind the weight loss, (60+ pounds in 4 months) I am a new person! Happier, livelier, energetic, feeling BACK IN CONTROL!!! I dont slink into rooms and hope to not be noticed anymore! I feel so confident and in charge of my life again.
  • puttingmyselfoutthere
    puttingmyselfoutthere Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am about 5 weeks out from surgery.. I don't regret it at all. Its a hard adjustment.. everything changes but for the better. It is the most difficult thing I have ever had to do but I needed a constant reminder to take care of myself properly, to have some self discipline and to say goodbye to my old friend food.. because food is one of those old friends that you feel guilty for cutting loose. Food is now about fuel and I have to be SO picky about what I eat.. I would do it again tomorrow lol- Its SO worth it!
  • amparker94
    Options
    Nice to hear some positive feedback regarding the surgery. I'm currently waiting for approval to have the sleeve procedure and feel like it's my last chance to get my life back on track. At my first appointment, it was hard being in a room full of women who were 100+ pounds heavier than me, but I feel the same way they feel inside. I thought for a minute they were going to stone me for having the nerve to show up. I'm tired of people telling me I look fine - they just don't understand.

Hopelessly Hungry...
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had VSG on November 9, 2011, and I haven't regretted it since. I am off my cholesterol meds and arthritis meds I am also off my migraine meds. I am still on a low dose BP med, but my PCP thinks I should be able to come off that in August. I have lost 93 pounds and am now just obese not morbidly obese (Happy Dance!!!). I feel so much better. My feet, ankles, knees and hips no longer hurt and I can walk, bike, exercise, hike, etc. with my family and not be in pain or too winded to continue. I can tolerate the heat so much better too this summer than last. I also now have the energy to exercise and be active where as before I was worn out from a trip to the grocery store. Now I can put in a full day at work, go to Zumba for an hour and then go to the grocery store and still have enough energy to pickup around the house after all that.
    Nope, I don't regret it for a minute!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    had my RNY surgery May 15, 2012, so I'm only a few weeks out. My husband tells me that when they brought me to the room and I was still half high on anesthesia and had to get up and pee I said "what the hell was I thinking" but I haven't said it since then. I feel so much better, over the weekend I talked my whole family into taking a walk with me and skipped the gym and got challenged to several runs by my 5 years old, sure she beat me every time but I was running and skipping and for once I had more stamina then them because they were pooped at a mile and a half. My husband and I had to the carry the youngest the last half mile.
  • linguist98
    linguist98 Posts: 83
    Options
    BEST THING I EVER DID! NO REGRETS...DO I MISS STUFF?..YES...I MISS MY VICODIN...I MISS MY INSULIN...I MISS PRICKING MYSELF 3 AND 4 TIMES A DAY.. I MISS MY CPAP... I MISS MY MAN BOOBS... I MISS THAT LITTLE BEAD OF SWEAT YOU GET JUST BY SITTING IN A RIOOM WITH NO FAN ON.. I MISS THE GROANS WHEN I WENT TO PICK SOMETHING UP OUT OF THE FLOOR.. I MISS THE SIZE 48 PANTS...I MISS HAVING SOMEPLACE RIGHT UNDER MY SET OF CHINS TO SET MY PLATE WHEN I SIT IN ON THE COUCH TO EAT...I MISS LOOKS I WOULD GET FROM WALKING INTO A PIZZA BUFFET.. I MISS MY CARDIOLOGIST... I MISS MY ENDOCRINOLOGIST..I MISS STRUGGLING TO WIPE MY *kitten*....I MISS .. IMISS .. I MISS....

BY THE WAY BAZINGA!
  • TL0105
    TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would do this all over again in a HEARTBEAT!!! I am about 10 weeks outfrom RNY and have lost 51 lbs. I feel fantastic, I feel great about myself! I have so much energy, I am off my blood pressure medication...I go to the Doctor on thursday and I am dying to see my bloodwork. This surgery saved my life..I am sure of it! I feel very fortunate that I did not experience any of the bad side effects. I will say that I do miss my diet Pepsi, but I think I can live with the memory in exchange for my health.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    BEST THING I EVER DID! NO REGRETS...DO I MISS STUFF?..YES...I MISS MY VICODIN...I MISS MY INSULIN...I MISS PRICKING MYSELF 3 AND 4 TIMES A DAY.. I MISS MY CPAP... I MISS MY MAN BOOBS... I MISS THAT LITTLE BEAD OF SWEAT YOU GET JUST BY SITTING IN A RIOOM WITH NO FAN ON.. I MISS THE GROANS WHEN I WENT TO PICK SOMETHING UP OUT OF THE FLOOR.. I MISS THE SIZE 48 PANTS...I MISS HAVING SOMEPLACE RIGHT UNDER MY SET OF CHINS TO SET MY PLATE WHEN I SIT IN ON THE COUCH TO EAT...I MISS LOOKS I WOULD GET FROM WALKING INTO A PIZZA BUFFET.. I MISS MY CARDIOLOGIST... I MISS MY ENDOCRINOLOGIST..I MISS STRUGGLING TO WIPE MY *kitten*....I MISS .. IMISS .. I MISS....

BY THE WAY BAZINGA!

YEP - can't wait to say the same things. To reduce the number of doctors in my contact list, to reduce the meds, to get rid of the darn CPAP, the oxygen. I won't miss them... Surgery is 6/28.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Only regret was that I didn't do it sooner. It has been an amazing life changing 10 months and I can honestly say I am looking forward to the next 40+ years.........Couldn't say that prior to the surgery. Don't think I would have lived another 15.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    best thing I did for myself. BUT forwarned..you still have to work at it, you still have to make good choices and move more you still have to change your lifestyle. But it makes it easier, I couldn't portion control on my own. Make sure what ever you decide that it has a very good support program afterwards. I had Slimband done almost 3 years ago. (gastric band) and no regrets but I'm on MFP, am in OA, run hike and kayak...Its a big decision but if you're ready for it its life saving.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    What surgery are you having? I had my RNY in 2008. I had regrets the first week, like so many others, but since then I have not looked back. Best decision ever for me, second only to adopting my kids. And unlike so many opthers, I do not wish I had had it any sooner. I was not ready. Plus everything I went through in my past helped make me the person I am today. And I'm pretty wonderful : )
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    BANDED ON 9/1/09, initially lost 110 pounds in a year and let me tell, IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE!!! Yea, i gained some back, but i know that i went through all this that i will never allow myself to really FALL OFF TRACK!!! Its hard once the so-called "honey-moon" phase is over, but I know that without my tool, I wouldnt be able to have that drive and motivation to succeed!!! ALL THE BEST TO YOU ...YOU HAVE ALL OF US FOR SUPPORT AND MOTIVATION!!! I have been on MFP FOR MOST OF MY JOURNEY AND IT IS BY FAR THE BEST SUPPORT SYSTEM I HAVE!!! XOXOXO
  • kim457
    kim457 Posts: 15
    Options
    I would do it again , I have no regrets what-so-ever
  • FelizMi
    FelizMi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was banded Dec 2009 it's not going as well as expected. I had a setback and gained 20lbs back and stretched my pouch which tilted my band causing acid reflux. They had to take all my fluid out about a month ago. I blame it all on myself, I didn't go to my doctor for a year and lost my "band" mind. But I don't think I could have lost the 77lbs since hooking up with my surgeon and kept it off without it. Hopefully I can get a fill Friday and be back on the losing streak!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    No regrets here either! I was lap-banded 4 years ago this month, on June 23, 2008.

My mom had gastric bypass surgery about 28 years ago and is still maintaining a healthy weight loss. She sometimes says she misses being able to eat a lot at social functions and holidays, but then admits that it is what got her fat in the first place.

Best of luck!!
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am only 2 1/2 months out but it has been one of the best decisions of my life. I wish I did it 7 years ago when I first thought about it, but I was too scared to follow through.
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no regrets what so ever. It changed my life and saved me.