Protein

Options
mom2tek
mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
I just heard to today on the Today show that the amount of protein that one should have is basically 1/2 your weight. Is this what many of you go by?

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I get in anywhere from 80-120 grams a day...I have seen various things batted about - like .75 - 1 per/lb.

I know for me the above range is something I can sustain and still restrict my calorie intake a little bit
  • PALEOMOM3
    PALEOMOM3 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've always been told 1 gm of Protein per lb. of lean body mass. I agree, it does help keep you full longer and more satisfied. However, I've also read the higher the protein intake, the more you need to limit your carb intake.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I think that's a good general rule of thumb for the average person. For me, I feel best when I hit at least 100g of protein per day on average, so that's what I shoot for. I think this is one area where it really does depend on the person. It depends on what your goals are, what activities you participate in regularly (weight lifters probably need more protein, where runners need more carbs, etc.), and your body's personal needs.
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replys. I'd say I've been averaging 90-100. I think I'll try to lower it to 80-90 and see how it goes.