Hair loss post RNY

Options
Teenalou
Teenalou Posts: 9 Member
I am six months out from RNY, and experienced the expected hair loss four months post op. The hair loss seems to be slowing now. I was curious about when others who had hair loss noticed hair regrowth?

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I was losing a lot of hair pre surgery, and so far post surgery it has slowed down to almost my normal rate of loss. My doctor said keeping my protein up above 60 would fend off hair loss as well as several other negative symptoms did he lie?
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am about 2.5 months out and so far I havent noticed loss starting. I have been taking biotin since pre-op though and I really try hard to get in enough protein. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I am going to be one of those people that dont lose much!
  • puttingmyselfoutthere
    puttingmyselfoutthere Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use that pantene for hair breakage.. and it seems to be working. I haven't taken biotin since before surgery. I am 5 weeks out.
  • Teenalou
    Teenalou Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been getting 80 grams of protein a day. My feeling is, if protein levels are too low the hair loss will be more pronounced than if you keep your portein levels up.
  • starrgazerlily
    starrgazerlily Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was taking protein in at about 80gms per day within 1 month of surgery. My protein levels on my labs were low so they bumped me up at 125mg of protein a day. I am almost 6 months out and I lost hair like crazy. Thankfully my hair is super thick to begin with. No one would know I've lost as much hair as I have but I know. Especially since I can now blow dry my hair in 15 mins when it use to take almost 30. My nails which were also always so long and strong stopped growing and peeled too. My nails have drastically improved in the last month. I'm still shedding like crazy but I do think its slowed down a bit. I've been on biotin for years even post op. Both my NUT and my hair stylist told me pre-op that if it happens there isn't a thing you can do until your body gets over the shock of malnutrition.
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started using a B-Complex with Biotin Shampoo from Avalon that I get at Meijer. I started using pre-surgery and I make sure that I get in over 60 grams of protein to keep it from falling out.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    nothing here, 3 months out today actually and notta.....I am waiting however, but hoping it dont happen.

Mary
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was fortunate in that I have a TON of hair.. it's fine but there's SO MUCH of it.. so the loss didn't really produce any drastic results.. and early on, I had very long hair (like, to the top of my butt) so running my hands through my hair always produced handsful of hair.. but I was always extra sensitive about it and watched it closely, even before my surgery.

After surgery, about a month or two out, I started seeing a marked increase in the amount of hair that came out in the shower or on my brushes.. and admittedly, during that time, my protein wasn't yet up to the levels where it needed to be.. Once I got there and stayed there.. and my labs were all coming back normal on a regular basis, I started to see regrowth around my hairline and at the top of my head (about 6 months out).. then I cut that $h*t off.. and I've had short hair ever since.. Haven't had a problem since then!

Stef
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I have really thick hair and have always shedded it. I was on medicine before the surgery that made me shed hair like crazy. So I guess either I am used to it or it's not really that bad. The last time I went to get my hair cut my hair dresser said I should get Biotin for it. But it doesn't really bother me and I don't want to have to buy and take another supplment! :-(
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I started taking Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins which are sold at WalMart. I also used a shampoo designed for thinning hair but have forgotten the name of it. I'm 2 and a half years out and my hair is pretty much back to normal.
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    At first I didn't think I was going to experience the hair loss, because several months had went by and then it came. And when it came i was seriously scared. Actually thought about cutting it all off. And would sit there and comb my hair watching huge amounts of it in my comb and hair brush. But I kept telling myself "it's just hair" and this is a small price to pay to be healthy. I've added in the biotin which has helped. The hair loss has slowed way way down which is good. I tried different products but none of it helped. I guess it just has to run its course.