Protein after Crossfit?

Options
lostalykat
lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
Hey, does anyone have any thoughts on having a protein shake or something after crossfit? I am not sure if I need it all the time but considering I don't eat dinner until at least 1 hour after my workout I think I should keep doing it. I just want to make sure I am able to still burn fat and get smaller as well.

Replies

• aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Before we started the Paleo challenge I was drinking chocolate milk mixed with protein powder right after CF. Chocolate milk has been found to be a really really good recovery drink.

Now since eating Paleo, I'm seriously open for suggestions. I was told that coconut water was good because it has electrolytes, but other than that I'm not sure.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I mix cocnut water in with my water and drink before and during the WOD. If I don't I get leg and feet cramps. I'm doing paleo with the addition of some dairy, so primal. I do a protein shake (SFH natural with cocoa powder in water) and some kind of fruit inthe car home because it will be over an hour before I get to make dinner. My coach def reccomends something after... fruit... sweet potato...
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm not following any specific diet anymore..
    but I usually pair a protein with a carb - so like Oikos greek yogurt with strawberries
    or I've been known to drink a coffee with a shot of prepared protein shake (vanilla) before and after.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    I always have a protein shake after. If I don't, I'll become noticeably sore.

For the Paleo people: Boiled Shrimp work really well. Mix up the "Paleo Ketchup" with some fresh horseradish or wasabi to make a quick cocktail sauce that also provides some good carbs to help metabolize the protein. I could eat pounds of em.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i eat 3 eggs an hour after my workout every morning. If I don't I get sore and lethargic the rest of the day (I workout at 7am)
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    with my workout being in the evenings I eat a dinner with a ton of meat in it. If I can't get dinner in within an hour after I eat some cottage cheese or greek yogurt to tide me over or, in a real pinch, a protein bar.
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    I have always heard that you should have = amounts of protein and carbs within an hour of working out.

I usually have a protein shake and a piece of fruit.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm trying to be Paleo, I still have a protein shake after crossfit (whey protein) - usually mixed with almond milk or water. Of course overall I generally try to get most of my protein through actual foods.
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Making my own chocolate milk by adding unsweetened cocoa, ice cubes and a banana in a blender.

Plenty of protein and carbs, which I think is the idea, and less goopy than store bought.

If I'm too high on the carbs, I'll swap out 8oz of the milk with water and soy protein powder, but it tastes a lot less luxurious.

Mind you, I'm still a bit of a porker.