I'm SO far from perfect...

Options
impyimpyaj
impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
... but the changes I have made have already made a big difference.

I've been avoiding grains for... uh, a few weeks now. I can't remember. I've completely stopped eating toast, which used to be a daily thing with my breakfast. I've slipped up maybe twice at home since I started, once with pizza and again with a hamburger bun, and both times I paid for it with a grumbly tummy. We went to Ohio and I had some grains there, but I did limit them as much as I could. I've also drastically cut back on my dairy and sugar intake. I still have dairy in small amounts, and I still have sugar in my coffee, but I've been trying really hard to avoid sugary treats and large doses of dairy. I've also worked to increase my veggie intake (but please don't look at my diary today!).

Already, even with these small changes and not being at all perfect, I have noticed a MASSIVE improvement in my overall well-being. I've been waking up early, on my own, and feeling RESTED for a change. I have energy and motivation to get things done around the house and stay busy. I had my monthly last week (sorry guys) and for the first time in a long time I did not have any suicidal thoughts or go on a hormonal rampage at all. I still got tired and a little cranky, but it was manageable. My skin is looking better. I still broke out last week from the hormones, but it wasn't as bad as it usually is, and It's healing much faster than it normally does. And my head doesn't feel so foggy these days. I have had a couple of bouts with generalized anxiety, but it was so much easier to come out of them without a freak-out.

I still have health issues that I need to address. I still have bad allergies and asthma, and I still have aches in my muscles for no apparent reason. And I apparently still get migraines, since I just had one not too long ago. But I'm hopeful that if I keep going on this path, making more changes and sticking with them, I'll keep feeling better. :)

Replies

• wodforbacon
    Options
    Good job! It wasn't hard for me to make the transition to Paleo, but the effects were pretty rapid like you said about feeling better...etc. Stick with it and look for ways to improve your eating and way of life and it will get even better.

Don't get down on yourself for slip ups. not a big deal. Only when the slip ups become habit and you start to physically not feel good will you regret it. Like for me...I've had whey and casein protein in my pantry for over a year because I did not use it when I initially switched to paleo, but recently I got tired of seeing it sit there, and I can't bring my self to throw away $200 worth of protein powder so I decided to use it until it's gone....which unfortunately for me I have been running out of coconut milk lately to mix it with so I've been using the the Kids' 2% milk. So I've been cheating lately with the dairy, and I feel a little nasty doing it, but I know it will be easy for me to stop when the whey runs out.

Good luck and stick with it!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

I'm a few weeks in as well and even with a few slip ups here and there I feel SO much better!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I definitely am not beating myself up over the slip-ups. I'm just kind of amazed at the noticeable difference I'm seeing already, even with not following all the "rules" and having the occasional slip-up. It kind of makes me sad that I didn't know about this much sooner in my life, but I sure am happy that I found it now. :)
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I too am amazed at the positive quality of life differences by striving towards a primal or paleo lifestyle. I have some allergy and mild exercise-induced asthma and my doctor had me start taking supplements called Vital Aller-C, and it's also been helpful.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way!

This week has been especially bad... sugar everywhere!!!! Not sure why I've been so lax about it.

Anyway, even a small improvement is a good one. And it's great that you can actually FEEL when your diet has slipped- reminds you not to do it again :)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Keep it up...

Funny you mentioned about the "time of the month" - I went from being a raging B with tons of cramps to basically nothing...
  • stiver68
    stiver68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the successes that you have had! I have been dabbling with the paleo lifestyle for about 2 weeks now and I too have noticed a big difference in how I feel.

I'm so glad to hear about the hormonal differences! I seem to be ruled by my hormones for about 2 weeks total out of 4. I go from being an overly confident sex-crazed nympho (seriously, :), my husband is not complaining), to being super angry and aggressive, to being a total mess drowning in the depths of depression. I would so love to be in just a normal mood for the 4 weeks (but keep the sex drive of course ;)
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    That's great! It has been working for me too. I feel much better all around and have been losing roughly 2-3 lbs a week.