The Mayo on Menopause and Weight Gain

Options
chicpeach
chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
Very interesting article on the Mayo Clinic's website regarding weight gain and menopause. The entire article is here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/menopause-weight-gain/HQ01076

But here's a snippet from the article that MFP directly addresses. Thank you MFP!

Move more. Aerobic activity can help you shed excess pounds or simply maintain a healthy weight. Strength training counts, too. As you gain muscle, your body burns calories more efficiently — which makes it easier to control your weight. As a general goal, include at least 30 minutes of physical activity in your daily routine and do strength training exercises at least twice a week. If you want to lose weight or meet specific fitness goals, you may need to increase your activity even more.

Eat less. To maintain your current weight — let alone lose excess pounds — you may need about 200 fewer calories a day during your 50s than you did during your 30s and 40s. To reduce calories without skimping on nutrition, pay attention to what you're eating and drinking. Choose more fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Opt for lean sources of protein. Don't skip meals, which may lead you to overeat later.

Seek support. Surround yourself with friends and loved ones who'll support your efforts to eat a healthy diet and increase your physical activity. Better yet, team up and make the lifestyle changes together.

Replies

• cnmince
    cnmince Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this, Chicpeach. I knew that women tended to gain weight in their 50s but I didn't realize how much my metabolism was slowing down. Menopause seems to be a kind of triple whammy: my memory ain't what it used to be, my mood is not good and on top of that, I'm gaining weight. I just keep thinking "what am I supposed to learn from this? How to age gracefully? How to adjust now for the other changes that aging will bring?"
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think the mood thing is at least partly due to the hot flashes. I mean, it's hard not to be a bit grouchy when you're the only one spending intermittent periods of time in the tropics!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think the mood thing is at least partly due to the hot flashes. I mean, it's hard not to be a bit grouchy when you're the only one spending intermittent periods of time in the tropics!
    And the lack of sleep...
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    Yes, lack of sleep! I slept maybe an hour and a half last night, dreamed my lover was a jerk and was wondering why he would do that as I brushed my teeth this morning before catching myself and reminding myself it was just a dream. At least I caught an extra 3 hrs later on. Sheesh! I was so whiney before that.
  • kayd69
    kayd69 Posts: 29
    Options
    Definitely Lack of sleep along with the hot Flashes...I am in menopause (surgical) as of 3 yrs now...I now have to take ambiens to help me sleep, I know its not a good thing to rely on medicine,but I could not take it anymore...most nights I only take half . However the Night sweats still wake me up (Drenched)...I have my AC on yr round and have a fan on me...My poor Hubby freezes but he understands...I have not found one thing that helps..Tried every homeopathic remedy,different hormones..nothing...Hopefully One day we will be over this part of it!:huh:
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sleep is a disaster! It would be nice to go to sleep and stay asleep the whole night through but even though I have my own room and sleep alone with just a sheet or thin blanket and have a fan blowing I wake up constantly throughout the night to drink water, urinate, and am overheated. Not to mention the weird dreams and occasional nightmares and general anxiety that assails me.

I found this helpful website the other day: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/Women4060/Pages/Women4060home.aspx

Best wishes to you all.
  • janet1124
    janet1124 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    At last..I have found the sisters who will understand! The sweats, the anxiety, the nausea ...Sigh. I guess I just needed to get it off my chest.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The last week has been awful! Sleep 2 hours, wake up drenched, awake for 3 hours sleep for a couple more hours get up and drag myself to work! I don't know how anyone could be in a good mood!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, we are all "enjoying" menopause! I keep reading articles on the importance of getting enough sleep, and I have to think they're being written by younger women or men, because I don't remember the last time I slept an entire 8 hours without waking up for hot flashes, needing to pee, back aches, snoring spouse. I take a non-hormone prescription to help with the hot flashes, but it just makes them a bit fewer and not quite as intense. They never go away.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sleep? What's sleep?? :tongue:
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    Question. Is it night sweats when I feel damp on just a sheet? This is every night and seems to have started when my sleeplessness started. Nothing helps, but I am not drenched or anything. Just uncomfortable. Is this it?
  • Annec0911
    Annec0911 Posts: 48
    Options
    Sounds like a milder episode of night sweats....but night sweats nonetheless....I'm experiencing another bout of them again [the drenching kind]...have figured out they coincide with migraine headaches...oh, isn't this stage just 'lovely'...NOT....
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    Thank you for replying...sorry you a dealing with the worse kind!
  • rolloffat
    rolloffat Posts: 17
    Options
    I know was going give in to my negitive voice which said no point in trying to lose weight at my age 52, know it is not as easy but is possible I HOPE:ohwell:
  • schma100
    schma100 Posts: 9
    Options
    Im facing it! One week old now to our program and feeling safe and productive. All my past visits to a "diet" have taught me something. I retain facts but never have put them into play into my own well-being. Thats all changed, today:), while Im incredibly active this time Im not eating poor items - I cant weight to follow you all and my program so I can see my little girl run across the ticker:) Hail the big M - its just one hurdle that we women will over come. Im actually on progesterone cream and lost the hot flashes. The cream doesnt take me to the track yet so I am going to get out and move my body.
  • GoJo65
    GoJo65 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just signed up here yesterday. I need to break free of my old thinking-a menopausal body does NOT respond the same way at least in my case! So depressing & frustrating ot se ethe pounds pack on & in distribute in ways never done before & exercising 5x /week for 45 minutes each & *mostly* watching what I eat is not working anymore.

Anyway-so time to shake it up right? I really hope this fitess competition I joined at work helps & also trying to enlist other friends-can you give me some reward ideas? Money does not motivate me believe it or not-I was thinking loser has to make dinner or clean the winner's house..stuff like that.

Good luck all!
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I know was going give in to my negitive voice which said no point in trying to lose weight at my age 52, know it is not as easy but is possible I HOPE:ohwell:

It is possible! Just be patient and let the weight come off slowly. At the dr yesterday I was "only" down 11 lbs since October but he said it was good and that I looked good, not sickly like some do who lose weight. I was frustrated at how slowly it has been coming off but I also feel that it will stay off this time. I am 52 and found that I had to change my expectations. I am now down about 30 lbs from my high and have 10 more to go. It's taken me over a year but it seems to be much more likely that I will keep it off.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Hi all I'm 51 and have been going through pre menopause for about a year now. Just recently I started really having hot flashes at night, it seems my weight loss may have triggered it or it just happend around the time I lost weight. I've been trying the black kohash or cohash and so far it isn't helping, I have heard vitamin E will help so gonna give that a try soon. There has got to be some nature remedies for out there somewhere