Exercise and low carb advice please

Options
maggiepz
maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
I'm not seeing a post about low carb and exercise. I want to lose at least 2 pounds a week.

I'm on very low carb most days. Just to keep my body guessing I go up a day or two once a week or so. Should I try to eat my daily carbs before I work out? Should I add carbs on high intensity exercise days?

For example, I'm going to do weight training every other day and cardio alternate days. Some days my weight training will fall on days i take a Zumba class. I plan on these being higher calorie days because of the big energy expenditure but should they also be higher carb?

Since I'm now doing a fitness routine rather than just dieting and walking should I increase my calories over all or can I eat at 1200-1400 like I have been?

Replies

• maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    repost
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 62 and started on Atkins--keeping to the 20g net carbs for a month. I never adapted at that level and had to up my carbs. I walk alot--wog a little (which I could not handle on super lo carb) and do DVDs for strength like 30 Day Shred and BL sculpt. I was just getting more washed out. I upped my carbs and calories until I felt I had a good sweet spot for me.
    Now I'm set at 1450 calories and aim for below 60 carbs. I lost 8 pounds the first month, then plateaued for three weeks. Since then I've been losing about 3 pounds a month but alot of inches and I feel super strong. You have to play around and find your own sweet spot, trust me you'll know when you find it.
    I try not to tell anyone I lo-carb. Realistically I have cut our all white foods and sugar, eating reasonable portions of protein and good fats and eating alot of fresh veggies. Just so happens my carbs fall low that way. My macros are set to 20%carbs, 30%protein and 50% fat.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing a post about low carb and exercise. I want to lose at least 2 pounds a week.

I'm on very low carb most days. Just to keep my body guessing I go up a day or two once a week or so. Should I try to eat my daily carbs before I work out? Should I add carbs on high intensity exercise days?

For example, I'm going to do weight training every other day and cardio alternate days. Some days my weight training will fall on days i take a Zumba class. I plan on these being higher calorie days because of the big energy expenditure but should they also be higher carb?

Since I'm now doing a fitness routine rather than just dieting and walking should I increase my calories over all or can I eat at 1200-1400 like I have been?

How many carbs are you currently at? I think under 30 for very low carb, but that's just an assumption. I would eat more calories on more active days, but not necessarily more carbs. I generally go by a rule of thumb (for me), if it's an hour or less of intense exercise (running, circuit training, sprints, etc), extra carbs probably aren't necessary. More than an hour, might be a good idea. This is loosely based on Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet for Athletes book (but he only talks about endurance exercise, not team sports where it is a mix of strength and endurance).
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I will have to let you know how I do. I am just starting to track calories/carbs and work out 6 days a week for an hour of cardio. I should say that I do not have a set calorie amount a day though. I like to keep my carbs under 20g a day.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    when you are counting carbs some days you may go under your calorie count for the day don't fret. What I do now is plan my meals for the week. This gets my good carbs in at a good count. Somedays when I excersie alot I will up my calorie intake but not my carb intake if I can help it. Not sure if that helps but it is what I do.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm following a lower carb plan (from a book called The Metabolism Miracle). Total carbs around 100g per day; net is maybe more like 20g (not counting veggie carbs). I am doing a half marathon training program and the program allows what the author calls "Fueling Forward" -- ie, a banana or Gatorade before a workout, to give a little extra energy boost. I find it has really helped me not only to stay hydrated but to make it through my workouts. It's been incredibly hot here, so I need all the extra energy I can get.

Now, I don't know how that would affect you if you are so low that you are in ketosis, but so far, it's working for me.

Good luck!
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If you are basing your carb intake off of a percentage, like 20%, then burning extra calories would allot you more carb intake.