Best fast food choice for paleo?

Options
My wife works an 8-5 job.. when I'm not working, I like to pick her up some lunch and have a quick bite with her. But I've been going through this pattern where I only go to 3 different restaurants: Chipotle, El Pollo Loco, In N Out!

What other fast food options do you all have? (I'm in southern california)

Please feel free to add me as a friend as well!

Thanks

justin

Replies

• Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm in SoCal as well, and I say el pollo loco. I get a couple chicken breasts, and that's it. no sides, no tortillas. Wash it down with some iced tea or water.
  • wodforbacon
    Options
    The only fast food I've had since I don't know when is Subway. I only get a salad but I get bacon on it. One time I got the chicken and the bacon but you can't really classify what they serve as chicken. Sorry man, but happy to say no fast food for me for a loooong time.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Apparently they have salads at Jimmy John's, and while not filling, they are food (haven't had them, friends have). Jamba Juice is my go to, for all fruit smoothies, when I'm on the run and not near anywhere else. Other smoothie shops may have almond milk, but I haven't found any around here yet. SBUX also has fruit salads.

Fiancé picks up stuff from Whole Foods' hot bar and salad bar- they tend to work out pretty well, since they list ingredients exhaustively and he can fill up a box with whatever looks good that day.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Is there a gourment grocery store near you? In Escondid, Major Market had some good take out options. Usually most good stores have some sort of food court where you can stack it up and get something on the go.

I have to say in general - I'm jealous! I moved from So Cal to be with My Sailor where he's stationed (WA). We live on the Kitsap Penninsula and there is NO fast food worth eating here. Even the nearest Subway is a 20 minute drive! No Chipotle within an hour's drive. No In n' Outs at all (they've never heard of them and the Burger King protien burgers are SO not good for you).
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I do plain chicken skewers from a teriyaki joint. Without the rice or crappy salad... I get double or triple meat.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I stick to Chicken or Tuna Salads at Subway for my takeaway when out and about.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've has luck with the Subway salads, you can get any sammy as a salad (with spinach) and oil and vinegar as a dressing.

I'm jealous of your In and Out
  • PALEOMOM3
    PALEOMOM3 Posts: 9
    Options
    Just had Subway the other night for a quick dinner before the kids' game...Order your sandwich of choice and instead of bread, use eggs or eggwhites as a "wrap". Most Subways offer eggs for their breakfast sandwiches, but they have them available all the time so you just have to ask. It's a bit messy, but delicious!!! Use the paper to hold it together and you'll have a Paleoish friendly fast food meal. We had the turkey, bacon, avocado and loaded it with veggies. It's packed with protein and such a good quick treat.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Southeast

Moe's: Don't know how widespread these are.... It's similar to Chipotle
    Chic-fil-a: they will grill anything... I get grilled chicken strips and dip them in Texas pete and I have a fruit cup
    Atlanta Bread Company: Great salads
  • McFelix57
    McFelix57 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the same dilemma - but I just eat Chipotle all the time. My other work lunch option is a deli near my office, and I order a grilled chicken sandwich without bread, so just chicken breast, tomato, and lettuce, and subbing whatever the veggie of the day is for fries. I know the veggies are cooked in butter, but I am okay with that.
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Just had Subway the other night for a quick dinner before the kids' game...Order your sandwich of choice and instead of bread, use eggs or eggwhites as a "wrap". It's a bit messy, but delicious!!! Use the paper to hold it together and you'll have a Paleoish friendly fast food meal. We had the turkey, bacon, avocado and loaded it with veggies. It's packed with protein and such a good quick treat.

Yep, I have successfully made Wraps using beaten egg pan fried to make the "tortilla"
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Jimmy John's will wrap your sub in lettuce instead of a bun. Maybe Baja Fresh, if you have one nearby? They have a lot of choices.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Get your In and Out burger Protein Style. The bun is replaced with lettuce leaves
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Get your In and Out burger Protein Style. The bun is replaced with lettuce leaves

I'd go one step further and suggest Protein Style *and* Animal Style (grilled onions and mustard). It's excellent, and seems to be better quality ground beef than other fast food places.
  • treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Any UK peeps got any thoughts on this?

I can never find anything in the terrible UK motorway services....a cold supermarket salad if you're lucky, and frankly that's not always very tempting!
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Justin, it's incredibly sweet of you to make these lunch dates with your wife when you can. Way to keep your relationship strong!
  • CRody44
    Options
    I'd go one step further and suggest Protein Style *and* Animal Style (grilled onions and mustard). It's excellent, and seems to be better quality ground beef than other fast food places.

Ledgehanger,
    That's they way I get it, but I didn't suggest Animal because of the xtra sauce.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Ledgehanger,
    That's they way I get it, but I didn't suggest Animal because of the xtra sauce.

Yeah, that's what I figured. My understanding, though, is that the animal style doesn't add additional dressing. It just adds mustard and onions. Perhaps not perfect - but certainly not bad. Looking at the nutritional information I can find for the two ways of doing it, animal style doesn't seem to add any "bad stuff" (carbs, etc.) at all.

Having said that, I have to acknowledge that's only based on my own extensive research (with extensive meaning "at least 30 seconds"... :wink: ), and I could certainly be mistaken.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If I have to go the fast food route I will stick with salads (although the chicken is always questionable) - My # 1 choice is a Wendy's Cobb salad since I have cheese from time to time - just don't use dressing

Most of the chicken places around us (Popeyes, Bojangles, KFC, chick-fil-a) have baked or grilled chicken available

Most of the places you can get grilled chicken just be aware that the chicken is probably pumped with some type of sodium solution - when I do have to go the Fast Food route I make sure I drink at least 2-3 extra cups of water...

Another person mentioned grocery stores - most of the ones around us have grab and go options - grilled chicken breasts, cooked chicken or steak skewers, salmon or crab cakes, cooked shrimp, baked chicken.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Another person mentioned grocery stores - most of the ones around us have grab and go options - grilled chicken breasts, cooked chicken or steak skewers, salmon or crab cakes, cooked shrimp, baked chicken.

Justin, Whole Foods has a great salad bar, used it a few days ago for lunch.