Time of day to eat carbs?

Options
I was hesitant to start the paleo diet because I was concerned about what a higher consumption of fats and saturated fats would do to my heart. After intervention from several friends who have been paleo or primal for quite a while, I think I understand that without carbs, the extra fat won't clog my arteries.

That being said, I really want to include fruit in my diet. Even the berries, which are listed as a primal staple, have quite a few carbs. Not enough to put me above the desired percentage, but I have concerns about eating fruit with other things that are high in saturated fat.

For instance, is eating some bacon and half a cup of berries for breakfast a bad idea? Do I need to keep saturated fats to a minimum during meals where I'm going to have fruit? If so, how long should I wait between eating fruit and eating anything else with a high saturated fat content?

Help is appreciated - please let me know if my question isn't clear!

Replies

• wodforbacon
    Options
    I was hesitant to start the paleo diet because I was concerned about what a higher consumption of fats and saturated fats would do to my heart. After intervention from several friends who have been paleo or primal for quite a while, I think I understand that without carbs, the extra fat won't clog my arteries.

That being said, I really want to include fruit in my diet. Even the berries, which are listed as a primal staple, have quite a few carbs. Not enough to put me above the desired percentage, but I have concerns about eating fruit with other things that are high in saturated fat.

For instance, is eating some bacon and half a cup of berries for breakfast a bad idea? Do I need to keep saturated fats to a minimum during meals where I'm going to have fruit? If so, how long should I wait between eating fruit and eating anything else with a high saturated fat content?

Help is appreciated - please let me know if my question isn't clear!

I'm not sure what the problem would be with eating carbs and saturated fats together (maybe there is a problem and I'm just clue less). I try to keep most of my carbs in the morning, but you still will want to add in fats and proteins. For example if you eat a bowl of fruit for breakfast (high in sugar) and nothing else, you will have the "sugar crash". fats take longer to metabolize so you will feel fuller longer and your body will have sustained energy longer in the morning.

As far as fruits (and I am bad at this sometimes because fruit is so convenient for snacking). Following a "truer" paleo model, Grok could only get fruits when they were in season, and you could think of the sweet fruit as the caveman's treat or candy bar. It would not be something they could eat all year long...one of the reasons why eating paleo is lower in carbs (sugar types at least).

If you find out any info about your question post it ....I am curious to hear other ideas
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't see why there would be a problem eating fruit and bacon together for breakfast but I pretty much know nothing about nothing:)

I agree about the fruits....I would limit my intake to two servings a day, if that. Especially if you're trying to lose weight.

I like to eat a good a chunk of my Carbs in the morning. I feel like it gives me more energy for the day. This could also be b/c I'm new to this (3 weeks in) and haven't gotten the hang of it. :)
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think you are confusing CARBS with the imflammatory issues of GRAINS. Carbs are not your enemy, do a little more research on WHY grains are an issue and you'll see that it has nothing to do with them being a carb, but the actual biochemical properties of grains and legumes. Inflammation is the underlying issue with cardiovascular and other illnesses.
  • th301603
    th301603 Posts: 5
    Options
    I think you are confusing CARBS with the imflammatory issues of GRAINS. Carbs are not your enemy, do a little more research on WHY grains are an issue and you'll see that it has nothing to do with them being a carb, but the actual biochemical properties of grains and legumes. Inflammation is the underlying issue with cardiovascular and other illnesses.

Ah- I will look into this. I don't eat very much fruit, I don't have much of a sweet tooth so one piece a day is usually more than enough. Lucky for me, I never liked grains that much to begin with :)

Can you suggest any particular source for reading up on carbs vs. grains?
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    When people talk about reducing fruit they are concerned about the fructose. For healthy or athletic people it's not an issue, can be reduced for a short time for people really trying to drop the pounds. In a diet with no added sugars I don't worry about fructose at all.

Hmmm, for paleo info I would recommend Robb Wolf and Loren Cordain's websites, Marks Daily Aplle is the go to for primal. You can also just google paleo or primal and browse the different websites. It can all a bit overwhelming as not everyone agrees on all facets, ie. lean meats. I really enjoyed Robb Wolf's book The Paleo Solution which went into the biochemistry and endocrinology. He also talks a lot about the particulars and benefits for people with autoimmune diseases.

Good luck!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Ah- I will look into this. I don't eat very much fruit, I don't have much of a sweet tooth so one piece a day is usually more than enough. Lucky for me, I never liked grains that much to begin with :)

Can you suggest any particular source for reading up on carbs vs. grains?

Marksdailyapple.com Just do a search in his search box for saturated fats and carbs. I'm sure he's written something about it.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-2 servings of fruit a day (usually berries and an apple) and my carbs are below 100 for the day...

Having a serving or two of higher carb fruits or veggies shouldn't effect you that much.

I space my carb intake out...if I am going to have something that is quite higher in carbs I try and do that at the beginning of my day so they are being used as energy...
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents, but my "alternative/wholistic" fertility doctor who first put me on a lower-carb plan for my PCOS (before I found Primal/Paleo) had suggested if I'm going to eat higher-carb foods (i.e. fruit, or the occasional yummy drink from Starbucks!) to have it earlier in the day rather than late at night.

Sometimes though I still have some fruit as my dessert, but I usually limit it to berries. If I'm going to have an apple or banana or something else, for whatever reason, I try to eat it earlier in the day.

Good luck!
    Jane