Going to buy some adjustable dumbbells today

Options
fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
Time to get effin serious about lifting weights!

Damn things are expensive though, but I dont want a full set!

I am gonna start NROLFW tod............wait no i am not.

Gotta do manly exercises :p

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Well MIKE!

You are aware I've been banned from the "ladies" T & T class as the gym because I do MAN STUFF with weights in the back of the gym ... So, I'm thinkin you can hang ! LOL

Why adjustable dumbbells though? I don't have a home gym, but after lifting for several months, I don't think the adjustable ones would be too useful. I like to "grab and go". So I'd prefer to have separate dumbbells. You don't need the "little" ones. For me, I'd get 15, 20, 25 and then add as I needed. IDK. You will def need straight bar and weights. I'm sure you've priced them and all that.

Peace Out.

Jen
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    hahahaha! TARGET has all of their weights on sale right now. I know the 25lbs adjustable weights were marked down from $69 to $50. i would have bought one BUT THEY WERE SOLD OUT!

hope you have better luck!
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Agreed with Jen. The adjustable ones are expensive & will be pointless in the smaller numbers. Start with some buff weight amount and add on to your collection as needed. Unless, you know, you just like clicking stuff and whatnot. But I bought a set of UBER CHEAP adjustable ones at Walmart...and they're really just a major pain in the buns. :) Good luck!!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Heh well I need higher numbers :p

I am probably getting the Powerblock 90's, that expand to 120lbs dumbbells. The lowest weight I use is 15lbs for shoulder flys, arm extended.

I dont have a ton of room i nmy workout room so a straight bar wont fit >.< :(
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I recently tried the adjustable ones at a condo while on vacation. I thought they were cumbersome and difficult to get a good range of motion. I ended up walking away and just doing body resistance exercises.

I agree with the suggestions from above. Look at craig lists, ebay, and local classified ads. There are always New Years resolution fails that are selling gently used, or barely ever, used equipment.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    We have the bowflex tech set ones... I don't love 'em. I wish we had individual dumbbells instead. They're just a pain to set and grab rather than pick up a set of weights, you know?
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Heh well I need higher numbers :p

Yes yes yes .. gonna do MANLY stuff ... gotta have the higher numbers : )~
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Are you saying the NROL4W isn't manly enough?! :wink:

Good luck with your purchase!! Take pictures of them and write a review!
  • nyspotlight
    nyspotlight Posts: 124
    Options
    I just bought my adjustable weights from target a week and a half ago... and now they are on sale? Typical...

I did a lot of investigating before buying the weights I did. I have the adjustable up to 12.5 set from target (Pro-Form), and a set of up to 25. As soon as I no longer need the lighter set, I'll sell them. But they are more compact, so I kind of like them for arm stuff.

It was cheaper for me to buy this set than the individual ones, especially since I am still building basics. The smaller set adjusts by 2.5 lbs (or less if you don't mind the weight being uneven) which is great for my sadly weak arms at the moment.

This set is stable and pretty easy to use once I got used to them.

Other sets seem silly. I tried a few at stores and they were cumbersome. Some were square instead of round and had pieces that kinda swooped up and covered my wrists. I hated that. But the guy at the store "loved" those and said he had them at home. Who knows if that's true, but I figure everyone will be more comfortable with different things.

A lot of people like the bowflex.

In a few weeks, I will need heavier than 25's for squats. I think then I might find a sturdy backpack and put on of the lighter dumbbells in there (then hold the heaviest) until I really have to buy more.

Once I'm done with Chalene Extreme I might consider joining a gym. It's a small apartment and I have no place for a squat rack and stuff like that... but we'll see. Currently just holding 20's for my squats. Big difference in getting a bar on my shoulders?