Bodymedia Fit Question

Options
It's hard to tell from the Amazon.com reviews - can anyone tell me if they've had problems syncing their BMF with the iPhone 4S? I'm really really on the verge of getting one, my curiosity is getting the best of me! I tried wearing my HRM the other day for 24 hours and it said I burned 2,700 calories, but I've read that they aren't great at estimating calories burned at lower heart rates.

Also, are they water resistant/proof?

Thanks!

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    They are NOT waterproof. I just have the FIT. It doesn't link up with my phone. As cool as that option sounds...it hasn't been a problem at all. It's cheaper and it syncs with my computer in seconds. So either way you can't go wrong! :-)
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    Thanks lady! I'm between laptops right now (er...for the last year and half..), so syncing with my phone is a necessity for me! Can you just pause it or whatever when you're showering/doing water sports/etc. and put it back on later?
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have the one you are talking about. I have had a few problems, but they are easy enough. It just involves resyncing with the blue tooth.

I LOVE being able to check out my data during the day - it rocks!!

I've had mine for just over a month now and still enjoy seeing the data. :)

ETA: It fills in the data for when you shower and take it off. The more you wear it, the more it learns your trends and can fill that in more accurately. I have, unfortunately, accidentally worn mine in the shower twice (hopping out swearing both times) and it survived both times. :)
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    VERY IMPORTANT POINT:

If you don't have a laptop I'm afraid this isn't going to work for you

Although you can sync with your phone it's not a proper sync and therefore you can only hold 14 days worth of information on your bodymedia fit. You HAVE to sync to a computer at least every 14 days otherwise the device is useless.
  • slammy1079
    Options
    Thank you for letting me know! I do have a computer I can sync with - it's just hooked up to our TV so it's not very convenient and so I don't use it very often. I do plan on buying a laptop in the next few months.

I just ordered mine using some credit card rewards and it only cost me $40 with overnight shipping (I'm impatient and couldn't wait the weekend to get it!) Yayeee!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i'm wearing mine for the second day today!! woohoo!! i kinda love it, and being able to see the real time cal burn is totally awesome.

you do have to re-sync it with the phone every time you put it back on, but that's no biggie. when you aren't wearing it (while you shower or whatever), it fills in the blank time with a sedentary burn level. does that make sense? it doesn't just give you zero burn for that time.

it said i burned a crazy CRAZY 2500 yesterday!! i didn't exercise, sat at my desk a lot and spent about 5 hours in a car going to and from atlanta for a concert. i'm not sure i believe it, lol!! i've been eating 2200 thinking that was TDEE. that's just one day though...we will see what the future holds.

you're gonna love it. guaranteed.
  • slammy1079
    Options
    I can't wait I can't wait! I was geeking out with my friend at work about it today, she's on MFP too and has been researching them. I'm going to be the guinea pig. :)
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Mine syncs perfectly with my iPhone 4S. When I was setting it up, I did run into a minor problem but I called customer support and the guy walked me through how to fix it.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    i'm wearing mine for the second day today!! woohoo!! i kinda love it, and being able to see the real time cal burn is totally awesome.

you do have to re-sync it with the phone every time you put it back on, but that's no biggie. when you aren't wearing it (while you shower or whatever), it fills in the blank time with a sedentary burn level. does that make sense? it doesn't just give you zero burn for that time.

it said i burned a crazy CRAZY 2500 yesterday!! i didn't exercise, sat at my desk a lot and spent about 5 hours in a car going to and from atlanta for a concert. i'm not sure i believe it, lol!! i've been eating 2200 thinking that was TDEE. that's just one day though...we will see what the future holds.

Hi rebekah!
    Just wanted to share that the bmf takes a few days to really get to know your body and get the right numbers. By day 5 I was more sure about mine, it leveled out now by day 8 I'm sure of its accuracy. Its also very close to my Scooby numbers actually, I'm super impressed. I know now that jumping on the treadmill or going for a walk with the dog or my baby is going to push that number up for me if thats what I want (say I know I'm going out or having a extra glass of wine etc.). Its amazingly motivating, I really love it!

Slammy - youre going to love yours!! Enjoy!! :D
  • rebekahgo
    Options

Hi rebekah!
    Just wanted to share that the bmf takes a few days to really get to know your body and get the right numbers. By day 5 I was more sure about mine, it leveled out now by day 8 I'm sure of its accuracy. Its also very close to my Scooby numbers actually, I'm super impressed. I know now that jumping on the treadmill or going for a walk with the dog or my baby is going to push that number up for me if thats what I want (say I know I'm going out or having a extra glass of wine etc.). Its amazingly motivating, I really love it!

Slammy - youre going to love yours!! Enjoy!! :D

Karin, I just asked about this in my status, lol. I thought I remembered reading that it needs a little time to settle in.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Hi there - just wanted to let you know that you CAN'T wear your bodymedia fit in the car!!!! All the bouncing around etc makes your bodymedia fit think you're running a marathon or something and gives you a HUGE burn when all you've actually done is sat down!

I'ts best to remove the device while you're in the car, and then put it back on when you get where you're going.

I also read on BMF's website that the "settling in" thing is just an urban myth - it doesn't learn your body or your burns. The BMF works by taking all the readings and then seeing which reading it is most like in the BMF database (using algorythms) and then giving you the appropriate burn based on your weight/age etc.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Hi there - just wanted to let you know that you CAN'T wear your bodymedia fit in the car!!!! All the bouncing around etc makes your bodymedia fit think you're running a marathon or something and gives you a HUGE burn when all you've actually done is sat down!

I'ts best to remove the device while you're in the car, and then put it back on when you get where you're going.

I also read on BMF's website that the "settling in" thing is just an urban myth - it doesn't learn your body or your burns. The BMF works by taking all the readings and then seeing which reading it is most like in the BMF database (using algorythms) and then giving you the appropriate burn based on your weight/age etc.

I agree about the car thing. I commute about an hour each way to work. I usually have 20 minutes of "moderate" exercise when I get there.

I now take it off for the car ride.

Also be aware that you can only charge it from a USB port on a PC. There is no wall charger for these :)
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hehe, mine only gives me active time during my commute when I'm seat-dancing to Adam Lambert music because the highway is at a complete standstill >.<
  • Sullerson
    Sullerson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyBugg version (still made by bodyfit media) and never had an issue while in the car or my commute to work. It usually shows 1.4cal per minute burn (same as sleep and work)
  • rebekahgo
    Options
    Interesting about the car. I actually figured a projection around 4 based on the burn to that point, and it came in about right at the end, possibly a little high. I will have to keep an eye out for the car burn.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I drive a lot and it always reads as if I am sitting on the couch or sleeping. Weird must depend on how bumpy the road is I guess.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Jip mine also gives normal numbers while driving. Weird, must be something to do with either bumpy road or plenty arm movement
  • rebekahgo
    Options
    Has anyone seen an end day number change later in the next day? My 2nd day number was 2503 when it switched over at midnight, but later on it changed to 2413, which actually makes more sense, but why the change?
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen an end day number change later in the next day? My 2nd day number was 2503 when it switched over at midnight, but later on it changed to 2413, which actually makes more sense, but why the change?

I've never seen it change after it's been downloaded/posted the next day (or after midnight)....I've only seen a 'projected number' change.... perhaps it just got hung up somewhere? Are you talking about the phone app number or the one after you've downloaded to a desktop/laptop comp? The phone app one can get weird sometimes...I know once I just deleted the app and reinstalled it to get a glitch out.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Jip mine also gives normal numbers while driving. Weird, must be something to do with either bumpy road or plenty arm movement

Same here...or maybe a lot of 'swerving', offensive/defensive driving? :wink: Or gesturing....:laugh: