Low Carbs W/Out Low Calories

Options
TyFit08
TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
How do you keep your carbs low without lowering your calories too much. I am trying to keep my carbs between 50 and 100 grams a day, but when I do this I usually end up with only 1100 calories. I do workout 6 times a week so I do want higher calories on workout days. My carbs are primarily coming from veggies. I am eating very little fruit and grains. Any suggestions.

Replies

• bsgkid
    bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nuts can help. Depending on your favorite, they are lower carb, but higher in fat and calories.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I'm allergic
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I get Jacks American Beef and cheese sticks (pair in the package)
  • NikkiJoH
    NikkiJoH Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i find it hard to keep my calories low hahah, i eat alot of cheese and double/heavy cream in my coffee :-)

add me as a friend my diary is open for ppl to view xxxx
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    nuts, heavy cream in coffee, mayonnaise on wraps or in meals, cookin in healthy oils like olive oil. Some people don't record when they add a pat of butter to a veggie dish, or a spoon of mayo, etc. record everything. I found the only way I could keep track of my macros was to try and record every little source of fat/carbs.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Uhm...do you ever eat meat? Meat has a lot of calories and zero carbs. Beef is highest in calories. Chicken is high if you eat it with the skin. Bacon and other fatty pork cuts are high in calories.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    More fat - from protein, avocados, coconut milk or oil, olives, butter, cheese, full-fat everything, etc. Add some butter or coconut oil to your veggies and chicken or any other dry meat.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Uhm...do you ever eat meat? Meat has a lot of calories and zero carbs. Beef is highest in calories. Chicken is high if you eat it with the skin. Bacon and other fatty pork cuts are high in calories.

I eat poultry, sometimes fish (it is really expensive here in Toronto) I have never been a big meat eater though, so I guess I don't eat a big enough portion of chicken to give me the calorie boost. I might have a thigh for dinner and sometimes have trouble finishing that. I gave up beef and pork 20 years ago. i have been considering eating beef again for the protein.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'd really think about getting back into eating meat. If you don't eat that much meat, perhaps spending the cash on some really good quality grass fed beef (yes, it makes a huge difference in taste) and sort of ease back into it. You need the fat when low carbing, and for every gram of fat you'll get 9 calories vs 4 calories for carbs or protein.

Start getting chicken thighs and breasts with the skin on and cook until crispy (so as to not be off putting at first) and eat that. Introduce bacon and you'll probably see a jump in calories. It's not that unusual for my calories to fluctuate quite a bit, but on a normal day can range from 1700-4500. I also practice intermittant fasting, so some days are lower than others.
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    If you're eating lots of salad, it's easy to toss in some shredded cheese, sunflower seeds, chopped egg. Use butter on your cooked veggies, use a sour cream based dip on your raw veggies. Low carb foods add up calories pretty quickly, so it shouldn't be too challenging if you throw just a little something extra into your current diet. If my calories are running low, I'll just grab a cheese stick as a snack and that usually fills in the gap.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Try coconut oil spread on Cybros seven grain low carb bread.
    I use coconut ol for everything. It may up your calories enough. Good luck.
  • Marll
    Options
    Try coconut oil spread on Cybros seven grain low carb bread.
    I use coconut ol for everything. It may up your calories enough. Good luck.

Better just to stay away from the grains when doing low carb IMO, but I agree 100% on coconut oil. Cook with it, put it in your coffee, fry foodds with it, use it as a replacement for butter in some dishes.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I have extra virgin coconut oil, usually use it for my hair. I have never cooked with it before, does it give food a coconut taste
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Not a lot...but very yummy! I use organic virgin coconut oil. I like it so much more than olive oil.
  • Marll
    Options
    I have extra virgin coconut oil, usually use it for my hair. I have never cooked with it before, does it give food a coconut taste

It generally imparts a different texture to certain foods. Eggs fried in butter turn out different than those fried in coconut oil. It does not give much of a taste of coconut, if any to foods. I fry sweet potatoes in coconut oil, and the resulting smell is amazing, but the sweet potatoes never get a coconut flavor to them.
  • nmg8
    nmg8 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Avocados! Put them on a salad, make guacomole with veggies to dip, or even just eat them on their own - lots of healthy fats and a great way to up the calories if you can't have nuts.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    just try to increase your fat as much as possible.