Can't make it through all the running segments on W1D1

Options
AliandTrev
AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
I have done W1D1 twice now, the second time went better than the first but I think I slowed down on the running. I can't make it through all the running segments without stopping because I feel like I can't breath. Should I keep repeating day 1 until I can make it through the whole thing? I do have asthma, but it is mainly in cold weather and I haven't even had to use an inhaler for it in years. So I think it's that I really am just out of shape and overweight. I am working on both, I can go out for a 5-6 mile walk with no issues, add in a little running and that's when the issue arises.

Replies

• MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Yes!

There is nothing wrong with doing the same week for more than 1 week.

I have a gf who has been on week 3 for about 2 months now. She has knee issues so she just repeats the same weeks over and over until her knees get stronger.

I see nothing wrong with you doing it until you are able to get through it without stopping.

I remember the first week I tried it (Im going through C25k again)....I thought I was going to pass out lol. It'll get easier. Really.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest maybe slowing your pace down. I am a few more weeks ahead of you but I realized I can go longer if I run a little slower....good luck!
  • AliandTrev
    Options
    I would also suggest maybe slowing your pace down. I am a few more weeks ahead of you but I realized I can go longer if I run a little slower....good luck!

I slowed down on the running parts yesterday and it was easier, I can make it through most of them but I think I walked through 2.

I am going to just keep repeating D1 until I can get through it.
  • nikki_dw
    nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I did W1D3 yesterday and I couldn't make it through the running at the end. The first two days I made it, but it was difficult. Yesterday it just wouldn't happen for me. I think I may repeat a day. It's not worth getting hurt over.
  • mini72
    mini72 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time(and the 2nd and the 3rd) I did it I actually thought I was going to collapse!I didnt though and now I can run a lot further.

You may not be able to finish them now but its a hell of a lot more than you did last week!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    When I first started this program I was trying to keep myself around 6mph on the running segments, and ended up having to slow waaaay down by the middle of week two due to sheer exhaustion. Restarted and found that keeping myself around 4.5 on the run segments is just about perfect. Not very fast considering I'm at 3.7 for the walking, but I'd rather be able to make it all the way through on a slow jog and then work on speed after the fact. Better than burning out (which is sort of what happened last go-round).

Currently on my second try with the C25K, and just finishing up week 3. :smile:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week one but still cant through all the segments - it is getting easier and I ache less after each run. I'm going to repeat w1 until I can do it.
  • mikem45
    mikem45 Posts: 35
    Options
    Same thing happened to me I just keep repeating it till i can complete it.
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Are you monitoring your heart rate? I did the program mostly on a treadmill and when I began, I tried the jogs at 5 mph but my heart rate was way past my zone so I was getting exhausted too easily. I switched to 4.1 - 4.5, stayed at 85% of my max hr and I was abler to complete the sessions. Good luck!!
  • AliandTrev
    Options
    Thanks for all the support/suggestions

Are you monitoring your heart rate? I did the program mostly on a treadmill and when I began, I tried the jogs at 5 mph but my heart rate was way past my zone so I was getting exhausted too easily. I switched to 4.1 - 4.5, stayed at 85% of my max hr and I was abler to complete the sessions. Good luck!!

No, not yet. I ordered a HRM today and it should be here tomorrow.
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support/suggestions

No, not yet. I ordered a HRM today and it should be here tomorrow.

Awesome! Check this website out http://www.racedaynutrition.com/HeartRate.aspx
    I use the results from the Karvonen calculation because it is very personalized. Using this and your HRM will change your workouts completely! :)
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    bump 4 later
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Check this website out http://www.racedaynutrition.com/HeartRate.aspx
    I use the results from the Karvonen calculation because it is very personalized. Using this and your HRM will change your workouts completely! :)

Thanks for this site! Makes me feel better about the numbers I have been getting off my HRM! I have a naturally high heart rate.....so mine is always going "over the zone".....