Do you set little goals along the way to the big ones?

Options
BlessedMom asked a great question in one of the replies on the board.

Do you set little goals along the way to the big ones?

Replies

• bonnieandsunny
    Options
    I guess in a way I do. I have my five pound goal, but I also have pretty much adopted the "one day at a time" mentality". I'm not letting slip ups de-rail me. In the past I think I have been way too hard on myself ( I have perfectionist tendencies that I'm trying to lighten up on.)

I'd like to hear what all you other ladies have to say - I need some inspiration today - it has been a rather stressful morning. Ugh.
  • namienoo
    namienoo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, I need to lose much more than 22 pounds if I'm to reach my ideal weight. The idea of 50-60 pounds is way too overwhelming so I'm aiming to lost the 22 pounds to start with. If that's all I lose, I will be happy because it would be 33 pounds down from my maximum weight from about 3 years ago. On the other hand, if the weight loss is "easy" because I can continue everything that I'm doing at the moment, and I lose those 22 pounds, then I will set another goal for perhaps another 10 pounds.

Anyway, that's how I'm working it. Of course the real goal will be TO NOT REGAIN THE WEIGHT 6-12 MONTHS FROM NOW!
  • lisahiner
    lisahiner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My "little goals" are that I'm losing 5 pound bags of potatoes at a time. :-) It's a pretty good visual image for me! I'm ALMOST done with my second five pound bag!!!!!!!!! (I'm working toward losing EIGHT, count them, EIGHT 5 pound bags of potatoes)
  • bonnieandsunny
    Options
    Great goals ladies! You can do it!

Phil. 4:13
  • lisahiner
    lisahiner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Caroline - have you read the Jan Karon books? Your scripture reference made me smile! :-) See? Smile!
  • GardenGirl456
    Options
    My "little goals" are that I'm losing 5 pound bags of potatoes at a time. :-) It's a pretty good visual image for me!

I like that. It's a great visual image indeed. I'd have to lose 8 bags of potatoes to get my BMI out of the obese category and into the overweight category (30 or greater = obesity; overweight = 25–29.90). It would take 12 bags of potatoes to get me to my 60 pound loss goal of 139 pounds.

I have normally just concentrated on getting under 200, getting under 190, etc. I think I prefer your 5 pound bag of potatoes idea.

I am trying to not focus on the big overall goal, but to be consistent each day. My not being persistent and having perseverance and consistency with my exercise is where I get into trouble and stop making progress. If I may, I'll use your 5 pound bags of potatoes idea to help me reach my goals. I think focusing on shedding one more bag of potatoes may help - and to try not to take any potatoes back out of the bags that I already released. :) Thank you.
  • blaineandcat
    Options
    I just wanted to say...

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

I get so much from your responses. Thank you!!!

:heart:
  • bonnieandsunny
    Options
    Lisa,
    No, I haven't heard of her. Now I'm going to have to google her name and find out about her. :-). Phil. 4:13 is such a special verse to me. It was the first one I memorized as a new Christian.