Would going over my TDEE some days be ok?

Options
graysmom2005
graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
Hello AGAIN! You guys sick to death of me yet? LOL! I was thinking about lowering my percentage to 10% cut...which is scary since I've gained almost 10 pounds...but if I did that I'd be eating 2700. Now some days my TDEE is over 3000...sometimes 3400. Other days it's 2600-2800. So on my rest days I could be eating OVER my TDEE...even on days when I just taught one class I'd be close to my TDEE. Does it even out with the high deficits on the other days? Is it ok to go over TDEE a couple days a week?

Replies

• seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    Yes! It would be ok! The recommendations on the EMTWL group specifically state to eat the SAME amount every day no matter what exercise you're doing (once you've run your numbers and picked your amount appropriately). =)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Yep- should be fine. I daresay even GREAT for you :D
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes that should work because over the week you would still be eating at a deficit.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You should be fine. Just take the average TDEE of a week off your BMF and stick to that :)
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I actually ended up under my goal the past couple of days and went up .8 of a pound. I'm back into the mindset of cutting back by a few hundred. Really trying to fight against that mentality!
  • googsgirl
    googsgirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your goal, the smaller the deficit... it worked for me!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I actually ended up under my goal the past couple of days and went up .8 of a pound. I'm back into the mindset of cutting back by a few hundred. Really trying to fight against that mentality!

Is there anyway to take a week off? When you upped your calories the past couple of days, how many carbs did you add in?
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I think its fine. If you've ever read any of Tom Venutos stuff (Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle) he recommends a 15% cut for 3 days, then one day of eating at or above TDEE. I followed that for awhile and was losing weight, but Im doing the reset right now.
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your goal, the smaller the deficit... it worked for me!

Really? That's interesting. I thought it was a case of increasing the deficit :)
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Why would gaining while eating less make you want to eat even less?!
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    I think its fine. If you've ever read any of Tom Venutos stuff (Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle) he recommends a 15% cut for 3 days, then one day of eating at or above TDEE. I followed that for awhile and was losing weight, but Im doing the reset right now.

Ohhhh I might look this up! If it works it might be good as my hunger/ body seems to like having a weekly spike day much to my previous frustration. Is it a book?
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options

Why would gaining while eating less make you want to eat even less?!

It took me a minute but I *think* she is saying that her mindset led her to inadvertently eat less for the past few days, but her weight increased as a result. Proving that mindset wrong? I could be way off, but that's the only way it makes sense to me. :)
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My weight yo-yo'd until I was consistent with the amount of calories I take in every day. (There is a video on consistency) I think you mentioned that your TDEE averages 3050 according to your BMF. Try making your cut 300 cals or less for a couple weeks to see if that works for you...yep that's 2750...calories a day... whew. It is the only thing you haven't tried yet...

Also, anxiously awaiting the response from your trainer!
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    He is going to email me later. He thinks I just need some tweaking and to add some dynamic weight training into the mix that I do on my own. I did some snatch squats and stuff today, and he said one hip is higher than the other and he thinks my range of motion could be hurting me..but he thinks with my degree of fitness it shouldn't take long to really see some results. Goal is to get to 152 again in 3 weeks. Haven't talked calories yet, but I don't think he believes in dropping it low. He knows how active I am!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay- getting the consistency in I think is priority. Some days you'll probably burn A TON of calories, and others you'll be a couch potato :) But it will all even out.

Hope your trainer is working out well :)