sodium question

Options
kay_bear52
kay_bear52 Posts: 71 Member
I hope this is not stupid question ;)
I have my sodium set at 2500
If I am working out and need to eat more calories to make sure I am meeting my BMR.....does that mean it is okay for the sodium intake to go over 2500? Or should I still try to keep it below that?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If you are in good health, up to 3500mg is not bad. However its always a good idea to shoot for 2500mg or lower of sodium...reason being, if your sodium is lower than this your probably not eating many processed food :P

For me, I honestly stopped tracking sodium. I eat 3k calories so its super difficult to hit below this number, especially working.
  • Susan923
    Susan923 Posts: 61
    Options
    I will await others answers since I can't seem to ever keep my sodium in line.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I finally decided to just give up on it too. Too many numbers and my OCD starts to go INSANE!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My sodium tends to end up around 3K, but I also drink insane amounts of water, so I don't sweat it. I have also read that the potassium to sodium ratio is looking to more important than straight up sodium intake.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Try to get more potassium too. It's the balance that is critical.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've basically given up on sodium too...I am usually around 3000.....and today, it was more like 3500-4000 due to some pretty stupid choices on my part....but not going to stress....

I eat pretty decently most days, but lunch is usually what gets me (I have a lean cuisine and a fruit/veggie most days for lunch, mainly due to quickness and convenience at work)
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I just started tracking sodium this week..amazing! I had no idea how much I was taking in. And yes, unless u give up processed food & going out to eat...yes, tracking sodium may be just what I needed! Went to tgifridays & ordered dragon fire chicken , under 750 cals but sodium thru the roof :(. It's my fav! Hopefully I can fig out how to make it at home, good thing I drank so much water while waiting for my meal !!!
  • kay_bear52
    kay_bear52 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. I drink anywhere from 10-15 8 oz glasses of water during the day so I guess going over 2500 isn't that bad a thing. I've tried to track potassium because I have had problems with low potassium in the last few months but that to me is even harder to track. I just don't eat enough potassium rich foods.
    Today was a bad choice day all the way around. I didn't get my BMR in after my FB exercise was figured in and was WAY over on sodium.

But I will not stress. It's the first real "bad" day in a few weeks
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Many foods do not even list potassium, so you're probably getting more of it than it looks like. But try to get those fresh fruits and veggies in! :)

As for your original question, unless you are working out outdoors and sweating profusely, you don't need to take in extra sodium. Just stick to the 2500-3500 range.