If you had to choose...

Options
just one cause to dedicate your life to, which would it be?

as in, you can only donate to charities to do with this cause, raise awareness, go for those charity run/walks... etc

Replies

• sambwilkes
    sambwilkes Posts: 22
    Options
    Equality in the food economy and obliteration of food deserts, which go hand in hand with empowering the local food economy. My grad school research focused on this a lot, especially where kids are concerned. I feel like kids are the ones suffering the most from inequalities in access to good quality food, and we're seeing now as kids are developing obesity and related diseases younger and younger. The media is such a huge part of this, too. Awareness is key, and knowledge is power.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would have to say protecting the ocean and ocean life.

I feel like a lot of other causes I believe in (equality, food politics) have a large and vocal support group right now but I feel that there's still not enough attention being given to issues around illegal fishing/species that are endangered, unnecessary cruelty (shark fin soup, shark based supplements). People don't seem to think of fish/sharks/whales/etc. as the 'cute' animals so they tend to forget them.

I grew up on an island and because the ocean was so closely tied to people's income, talking about protecting the ocean was a very tense issue.
  • sambwilkes
    sambwilkes Posts: 22
    Options
    I would have to say protecting the ocean and ocean life.

I feel like a lot of other causes I believe in (equality, food politics) have a large and vocal support group right now but I feel that there's still not enough attention being given to issues around illegal fishing/species that are endangered, unnecessary cruelty (shark fin soup, shark based supplements). People don't seem to think of fish/sharks/whales/etc. as the 'cute' animals so they tend to forget them.

I grew up on an island and because the ocean was so closely tied to people's income, talking about protecting the ocean was a very tense issue.

I wholeheartedly agree. I didn't grow up on an island, but I did grow up surrounded by lakes and rivers, and now I live near the coast. Maine has a very significant fishing industry, and the balance between protecting the environment and fisherman continuing to be able to support their families is often in the local news and in local politics. Water bodies and the life within them are so fundamental to the health of the earth, you'd think protecting them would be our top priority.

What good orgs are there out there working on advocacy for ocean life and protecting the marine environment? I'd like to read some more about the issues involved. :)
  • cheesy_blasters
    Options
    I'm from PEI so the fishing climate is very similar to Maine!

The groups I stay up to date with are the Sea Shepard Conservation Society, Blue Ocean Institute, Oceana, and the Surf Rider Foundation. There are a a few more too (Greenpeace, Woods Hole, Blue Frontier, Deep Sea Conservation Coalition). The all have different approaches so lots fun to see what they chose to focus on. I got involved with the Surf Rider Foundation when I was younger because they have a very youth/surf culture approach to activism. I think it's a good group to draw youth into the discussion and there are a lot of easy way to get involved as a teen. You can't volunteer to work on a Sea Shepard ship when you're 14 but you can organize a beach clean up.
  • jamonthelam
    Options
    i think my answer would have to be trans* rights, with mental health awareness at a close second
  • Nielasan
    Nielasan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am a feminist. I feel that gender equality is essential for righting many of the wrongs our society has imposed on nature. See me for some theory people! fight the power!
  • cheesy_blasters
    Options
    I am a feminist. I feel that gender equality is essential for righting many of the wrongs our society has imposed on nature. See me for some theory people! fight the power!

Damn right!
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    something involving children, feeding the hungry, role model stuff like big brother and sisters, adopt a grandparent etc. or increasing their creativity and building self esteem
  • Nielasan
    Nielasan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    adopt a grandparent sounds really awesome, i've never heard of that!