Lunch. GAH.

Options
Dear new friends,

I need help with lunch. Seriously. I hate lunch. Like, it irks me so. It's in the middle of the day and during the work week I just can't get my head around stopping work to make lunch. So I often go without, choosing instead to use my 30 min lunch break to sit out on the deck or walk the dogs (oh yeah....I work from home). I think I get overwhelmed with options because I have my whole kitchen in front of me. When this happens, I end up not eating till dinner, which means my pre-dinner workout is on a totally empty stomach, which is super not fun.

What are your favorite lunch ideas? I'm especially looking for ideas for stuff that can be made ahead, ready to go so I don't have to actually spend my whole lunch break cooking.

Replies

• Nielasan
    Nielasan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    how do you feel about humus?
  • phodujour
    phodujour Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a gigantic salad with kale or spinach as the base and all the fixins- artichoke hearts, three bean salad, cherry tomatoes, maybe some low fat Gorgonzola, chickpeas, banana peppers, roasted red peppers, can of tuna or pre-grilled chicken, pickled mushrooms, etc. It's annoying to log, but if you measure and calculate everything once and save it as a meal, it should take care of that. Great work-out fuel too!
  • sambwilkes
    sambwilkes Posts: 22
    Options
    how do you feel about humus?

I dig it muchly. It's one of the few things I rely on for lunch, usually with some cut-up veg (although I have eaten hummus on a hunk of French bread before, and that was pretty tasty)...but I can get bored with it pretty quick. I haven't tried making my own yet, and frankly eventually all the store-bought flavors seem to taste the same. Any ideas for jazzing it up, different ways to eat it?
  • sambwilkes
    Options
    My favorite is a gigantic salad with kale or spinach as the base and all the fixins- artichoke hearts, three bean salad, cherry tomatoes, maybe some low fat Gorgonzola, chickpeas, banana peppers, roasted red peppers, can of tuna or pre-grilled chicken, pickled mushrooms, etc. It's annoying to log, but if you measure and calculate everything once and save it as a meal, it should take care of that. Great work-out fuel too!

Holy Hannah Montana, this sounds amazing. Definitely going to throw this into next week's lunch rotation. Thanks for the suggestion! :)
  • jamonthelam
    Options
    completely unrelated but i just wanted to ask you if it was okay if i added "holy hannah montana" to my repertoire of surprise phrases because holy hannah montana is that ever funny
  • sambwilkes
    Options
    completely unrelated but i just wanted to ask you if it was okay if i added "holy hannah montana" to my repertoire of surprise phrases because holy hannah montana is that ever funny

LOL absolutely.! :)
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My two favourite lunches that are crazy easy to make the night before are "tacos"- brown/wild rice, veggies and peppers, kidney beans/black beans, cheese, salsa in lettuce leaf wraps (if I got a lot of toppings going on, I double wrap it).

Also portobello mushrooms, veggies, tomato sauce and cheese baked for a couple minutes. Crazy awesome.
  • sambwilkes
    Options
    My two favourite lunches that are crazy easy to make the night before are "tacos"- brown/wild rice, veggies and peppers, kidney beans/black beans, cheese, salsa in lettuce leaf wraps (if I got a lot of toppings going on, I double wrap it).

Also portobello mushrooms, veggies, tomato sauce and cheese baked for a couple minutes. Crazy awesome.

So, Mexican food and pizza-like things are basically my favorite. :) I'm definitely trying both these ideas! Do you use any particular type of lettuce for the wraps?
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I find that the shape of Boston Lettuce works well. I use living lettuce (attached to the root) so it's easy to pull off full leaves without ripping them. I've also used iceberg before which taste good and is really crunchy but I always end up ripping them.
  • Nielasan
    Nielasan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hummus sandwich on some kind of little bread thin or round or even an english muffin with some baby spinach and your hot sauce of choice, I suggest salsa verde or chimichurri.

you should look into some healthy veggie patti or black bean burger and throw it on a tortilla.

or! you could get into juice. Don't like lunch? a couple sips and its done, yo.

:)