New to EM2WL and COMPLETELY Lost.

Options
my365challenge
my365challenge Posts: 45 Member
Hi guys! I'm completely new to this whole concept and I wanted to find out if there was someone here who can add me on and fill me in.... I'm just not understanding how many calories I should actually be eating. I've got a LOT of weight to lose and I use a bodybugg, so I understand that I'm burning calories, even when I'm not working out. What I don't understand are the contradictions I've seen about eating exercise calories back and whatnot. I just need some guidance in plugging the right numbers in for MY body frame (short and FAT) so that I can get on the right path. I have NEVER been a binger or a junk food junkie, and I've been consistantly gaining weight for the last 10 years eating what would normally be referred to as 'healthy' yet somewhat UNDER the recommended calories. (I usually average between 600-800 on any given day.) The problem I am guessing is that I'm sedentary and I finally just changed my eating habits to exclude gluten in October 2011 (lost 42lbs, gained 20 back). I was diagnosed a decade ago with celiac disease and finally just realized that I'm tired of feeling ill and being overweight. MFP recommends i eat 1400 calories/day (which to me is an obsurd amount because i have SO MUCH to lose). Can someone please help me? I have no idea what I'm doing. :(

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Welcome to the group.

Can you post your stats...age/weight/height?

Thanks,
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm completely new to this whole concept and I wanted to find out if there was someone here who can add me on and fill me in.... I'm just not understanding how many calories I should actually be eating. I've got a LOT of weight to lose and I use a bodybugg, so I understand that I'm burning calories, even when I'm not working out. What I don't understand are the contradictions I've seen about eating exercise calories back and whatnot. I just need some guidance in plugging the right numbers in for MY body frame (short and FAT) so that I can get on the right path. I have NEVER been a binger or a junk food junkie, and I've been consistantly gaining weight for the last 10 years eating what would normally be referred to as 'healthy' yet somewhat UNDER the recommended calories. (I usually average between 600-800 on any given day.) The problem I am guessing is that I'm sedentary and I finally just changed my eating habits to exclude gluten in October 2011 (lost 42lbs, gained 20 back). I was diagnosed a decade ago with celiac disease and finally just realized that I'm tired of feeling ill and being overweight. MFP recommends i eat 1400 calories/day (which to me is an obsurd amount because i have SO MUCH to lose). Can someone please help me? I have no idea what I'm doing. :(

That's ok, we were all once where you're at now!!!! The light bulb moment will come on!!! I agree with Mike what's your stats, so we can help ya get started.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group

We will help you through :)
  • my365challenge
    Options
    Thanks guys! About me: I have big goals! 1 year, 100lbs - by June 1, 2013!!!! (and THEN some!)

About Me
    Female - 5'4"
    Currently: 273.8lbs
    BF: 60.1%
    BMI: 41.3
    BMR: between 2400-2700 per bodybugg (on days when I'm not active)

Heaviest Weight (10/2011) - 303lbs
    Unhealthy Weightloss - HCG diet results (12/2011) - 261lbs (dumb, I know)
    Lowest Weight- (1997) - 107lbs

Goal Weight- 155lbs (by 12/2013)
    Current Weight- 273.8lbs (6/12/12)
    Previous Weight - 275.4lbs (6/5/12)
    Starting Weight - 280.0lbs (6/1/12)

My bio:

Here I am - 280 lbs of pure FAT. Believe it or not, this is not my heaviest weight, but I still hold the weight of 2 adult females. What you see is a decade of abuse, neglect, depression, unhealthy behavior, and lack of self confidence. My weight is contributed to many things - abusive relationships, lack of self confidence, alcohol abuse, etc. And today I take the first step into taking my life back.

Why I Want To Get In Shape
    My weight is a huge hinder on my life - I haven’t lived in so long, I don’t even remember what it feels like to be alive. There was a time about 5 years ago when I set off on a weightloss journey - lost 67 lbs in 3 1/2 months. I managed to since gain that back plus a few more. This is it. I am done living like this. I don’t see my friends. I can’t find a good job. My weight has kept me from all of the things I love. And today, I begin to crack down and take accountability. Please feel free to support me, as I have avoided help and support. Please feel free to encourage me, as I have allowed words to knock me down my whole life. Please feel free to criticize me, as your words will motivate me. I have been my biggest enemy my whole life. I am ready to be my biggest supporter now. TODAY, I TAKE BACK MY LIFE - ONE POUND AT A TIME.

I am gluten free. Diagnosed over 10 years ago, finally cut gluten out 10/2011
    Thanks for your help guys!! Xoxo
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Hi there. 1400 calories is WAY too little for you. You should visit the scooby site and plug in your stats to see how many calories you should be eating at a 15% deficit.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Whats your exercise lookin like?
  • my365challenge
    Options
    Hi there. 1400 calories is WAY too little for you. You should visit the scooby site and plug in your stats to see how many calories you should be eating at a 15% deficit.

Awesome! I'll go try that!
  • my365challenge
    Options

Weekdays: I jog/high knees on the trampoline w/2 5# weights (2 8#weights next phase) once a day for 60 min or twice a day at 30min each. Sometimes, like today, i do it for 2 hours with 6 1min30sec breaks to do 50 situps (300total) Weekends I sometimes add hiking (sandy hilly dunes - avg daily burn is 3400-3900 on bodybugg @14,000-17,000 steps logged) and during the evening or no workout days I walk 3miles. Now that the pool is open I can substitute swimming for something. I just started working out again daily beginning 6/1/12 after taking a break from it since January, so I'm slowly starting to build up endurance again. Always had a hard time in past because of asthma (triggered by gluten consumption) and smoking (triggered by alcohol consumption.) today I'm gluten free (since 10/1/11), alcohol free and smoke free (since 1/1/12)
  • my365challenge
    Options
    After beginning to exercise again on 6/1/12, I've lost 6.2lbs. (in 2 weeks) avg. 3.1lbs of Weightloss/week.
  • my365challenge
    Options

Whoa! I'm way off. :(
    Thanks for the help! Looks like y'all were right. I'm gonna adjust my goals tonight.
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options

Weekdays: I jog/high knees on the trampoline w/2 5# weights (2 8#weights next phase) once a day for 60 min or twice a day at 30min each. Sometimes, like today, i do it for 2 hours with 6 1min30sec breaks to do 50 situps (300total) Weekends I sometimes add hiking (sandy hilly dunes - avg daily burn is 3400-3900 on bodybugg @14,000-17,000 steps logged) and during the evening or no workout days I walk 3miles. Now that the pool is open I can substitute swimming for something. I just started working out again daily beginning 6/1/12 after taking a break from it since January, so I'm slowly starting to build up endurance again. Always had a hard time in past because of asthma (triggered by gluten consumption) and smoking (triggered by alcohol consumption.) today I'm gluten free (since 10/1/11), alcohol free and smoke free (since 1/1/12)

Very awesome!!! Keep up the good work and you WILL rech your goals soon enough. Try the scooby calculator. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I'm glad you've gone to the Scooby site and found your numbers. Keep in mind, if you have a difficult time increasing calories, to take it slow. It's absolutely fine to inch your way up if you need to. Great job on being so active and taking control of your Celiac disease! Good luck on your new journey!
  • my365challenge
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Xoxoxo
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Friend request sent :-)
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!:flowerforyou:

I'm so happy that you have chosen to eat more to weigh less. You don't have to starve yourself.

Feel free to send me a friend request.:happy:
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Wooohooooo!!! You've landed in an awesome place. You've GOT THIS, Gotta eat, eat good stuff , get moving , and have fun!! Yes... FUN

JEN
  • my365challenge
    Options
    upped my calories to 1300 and found myself at a 2# weight gain. :(
    Can someone ready my food/exercise diary and please tell me what i'm doing wrong???
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    upped my calories to 1300 and found myself at a 2# weight gain. :(
    Can someone ready my food/exercise diary and please tell me what i'm doing wrong???

You may have some initial gain, but it will not be fat - just water and your body acclimating. Very important that you ready this thread when you start - it explains the process, and why you will need patience.. Stick with it though, because IT WORKS!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I gained 1.5 lb in my first week (my week runs Wed to Wed) but I am still eating my cut. In fact I think I might even be eating more than that some days hahaha.

We shall see, I know I haven't eaten enough (3500) to gain a 1 lb let alone 1.5 lb so I am not freaking out over it.
  • my365challenge
    Options
    I'll hang tight and see what happens. Thanks again!