Recalculating TDEE?

Options
bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
I know that we're supposed to recalculate TDEE every 5 pounds - but does that include the bloat/weight gain from when you first start increasing? I don't want to weigh myself until July because I don't want to get demotivated, but eating at cut I gained 6 pounds to 154 (which is what I used to get my TDEE values) and I've been eating at full TDEE for a week and honestly have no idea what I weigh.

Any advice?

Replies

• techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    FWIW...I wouldn't count bloat as an actual gain. Stay the course and evaluate when you do weigh in July. HTH
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would agree with that - seems it would be more important to recalculate on the downward side to ensure we aren't eating too much. Unless there was a massive trend up and the body needs fuel...
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That's what I figure. But then I'm worried because I don't know what my actual weight is - I went to the doctor in early May and was 147, and shortly after is when I started eating exercise calories back and eating more (about 2200-2400/day) and slowly started gaining. When I weighed in a week ago Friday, I was 153.8, so I've been using 154 for my TDEE calculations. I know I can't have possibly gained 7 pounds in such a short time - I was working out daily, sometimes 2x daily, and although there were a few days that I may have eaten back extra calories than just my exercise ones, there's no way I ate 3500x7 over!

Hopefully calculating with 154 was the way to go. My period is due to start tomorrow so I definitely won't be stepping anywhere near a scale right now... I hovered in the mid-140s for so long that the idea of 150 almost had me panicking. Now I'm kind of used to it. But if I get on the scale in July and weigh 160 I am going to completely lose it :)