HELP: Am I going to regret skipping the reset?

Options
Mistymath
Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
I know that probably isn't the recommended way to do things. I spent a couple of weeks at 1400 calories when I first re-started MFP (sometimes netting as few as 800-900), then jumped up to grossing BMR (was typically still around 1400 after exercise). The past week I have been focusing really hard on netting my BMR (a little over 1900).

I have a hard time even getting in enough calories to net BMR as I'm typically eating a total of 2400-2600 calories per day now. My TDEE is around 3000, so I can't even fathom consuming that many calories every day. I'm working on getting my macros right, and I'm looking to cut back on cardio in favor of adding in some lifting.

Am I going to run into problems down the road from not doing a reset? Should I just keep going and do a reset later when my TDEE is lower because of lower body weight if I plateau?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    To be honest this is tough to say. Some people bodies do not need a reset. Its generally a good idea especially in the long run though. Its a choice you have to make.

A lot of the ladies who stalled have tried the reset and went back to cut with good results.

For me I skipped a reset and went straight to cut and it works for me.

So it is up to you :)
  • polza1888
    polza1888 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I never done the reset, I went straight in with the 15%. I went from 1400 calories to 2051 and in the first week i lost 5lbs :) This week I lost 0.8lbs which was ok as this was what the scooby site predicted I should lose weekly. Like Mike said, all bodies are different :)

Good luck :)
  • ehs5mw
    ehs5mw Posts: 65
    Options
    I personally wish I had just done the reset right away, but everyone is different.

I obviously couldn't listen to my own advice, but think about this:

If you start with a cut and it is not working, you will have to make the emotional decision whether to cut more or do a full reset. If you are prepared to up now, why not just go ahead and do a full reset? If you end up doing the cut and then having to do the full reset, it could take you 12 or 16 weeks or more. If you reset now, there is a good chance (it sounds like) of being able to have success cutting in just 8 weeks.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    it really depends on how long you spent eating VLC. If it was only a few weeks, then you might be ok with no reset.. but if you were hanging bloew BMR for a long period of time (and this is thinking prior to you starting on MFP as well), then you would probably do ok with a reset. You may only need 4 weeks instead of 8..

Its a hard decision. I know a lot of us who are resetting now really wished we had done it when we first began weeks and weeks ago. Only now are we realizing we needed a reset and are holding at TDEE now. It is hard mentally, knowing that for a period of time you will not be losing weight and possibly gaining some back, but you have to think ahead to how much easier it will be to lose the weight after.