Compulsive Eating

Options
MHallway
MHallway Posts: 3 Member
Hi All!
I used to always consider myself to be an emotional eater until about a year ago when I realized the problem was more severe. That my eating was actually compulsive. (I know the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably)
It took me a long time to admit it to myself and even longer to say it aloud to another person. It is something I'm ashamed of and actually find quite humiliating. I can't help it.
I've been trying to be more open about it. To talk it. I was wondering if there was anyone here who would classify themselves as compulsive eaters. No matter how many times I tell myself I'm not the only one, it would still be nice to hear it from someone else.

Replies

• christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am not 100% sure. I can tell you that when I am stressed or feel cold or sick or have cramps, I feel like if I eat one more thing I will be okay- over and over again. Also, when I have things to do I will eat as a way to procrastinate.

I am pretty compulsive in general. With the computer, cleaning, even working out.
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am not 100% sure. I can tell you that when I am stressed or feel cold or sick or have cramps, I feel like if I eat one more thing I will be okay- over and over again. Also, when I have things to do I will eat as a way to procrastinate.

I am pretty compulsive in general. With the computer, cleaning, even working out.

I'm a compulsive eater!!!
  • HeatherMarie716
    HeatherMarie716 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a compulsive eater! Sometimes my mind is just like omg you have to find something to eat right now. And then after I eat I'm already thinking of what I can eat next! I don't always give into this but its always a battle for me. Or I won't be hungry anymore and I feel the need to put more on my plate. That is the reason why I've been overweight most of my life. I actually lost about 80lbs but gained about 20 back because I can't stop thinking about eating! :(
  • JJozsa
    JJozsa Posts: 1
    Options
    That was my problem for sure. I get in those moods where I can just eat anything and everything out of boredom. I still struggle with it but I found that if I find other things to spend my time doing, it helps.
  • _Marci_
    _Marci_ Posts: 5
    Options
    I eat when I am sad, or happy. If something good happens it's a reason to celebrate and EAT! If something bad happens, then it's a reason to just eat and drown myself in my food because that is all I really have. I eat for any emotion I have. I also eat for enjoyment. Things in my life can bring me down at times, so I sometimes feel I have no one to turn to, so I eat for the good feeling it gives me for that moment.

I do go on binges, and I guess that would be compulsive eating. Sometimes I can't stop. I am finding it hard to find other things to enjoy so that I can turn to something else. Food has been my only friend for some time now.
  • hevans05
    hevans05 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have always been an emotional eater, though I wouldnt consider my habit to be compulsive. Regardless, I read a book called "A Course in Weight Loss" by Marianne Williamson that really helped me change my relationship with food. The book is more about developing a spiritual program for weight loss, with the idea being that we are turning to food to fill a spiritual hunger/void, so to speak. By connecting with ourselves and our higher power, we can be rid of unnecessary hunger/eating. I consider myself to be spiritual but not religious, and this book is directed at people from all faiths. This approach may not be for everyone, but since I have experienced such a profound change from reading and doing the exercises in this book, I thought I'd share about it.
  • xomelissasue
    Options
    I just recently became "real" with myself and realized i'm a compulsive eater. I was wondering how others are dealing with this?
  • Dina2576
    Dina2576 Posts: 1
    Options
    I know that I am a compulsive eater. I eat when I am sad, emotionally hurt, happy, or even bored. My mind, not my stomach, dictates what I want to eat and how much. I usually overeat because I can't stop eating once I start eating something. I usually end up eating the entire item, instead of just one serving.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to stop this behavior?
  • kathyanne07
    kathyanne07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I sure could use some help with compulsive eating. As long as everything runs along smooth and as planned, I can stick to my food and exercise plan. BUT - let one thing crop up and interrupt and throw a wrench into my plans or something unexpected pops up - I go off the deep end and binge, binge, binge. Would love to hear any ideas on how to cope with this.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Compulsive behavior, a psychological condition in which a person does a behavior compulsively, having an overwhelming feeling that they must do so

Also: 1.An irrational need to perform some action, often despite negative consequences.
    Example: During the basketball game, I had a sudden compulsion to have a smoke.

that is the wikipedia entry

yes, i do that.... i feel like i must eat and even if i'm hungry or not i will do it. so yeah, not just emotional eating but also compulsive overeating here.
  • lauries3
    lauries3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am a compulsive emotional eater. Only recently I have been really trying to be aware of what my triggers are, and I noticed that I can do fairly well except in the night. It is like something comes over me and I go beserk. I hate myself that I do this. I also will get up and eat crap at night even though I am not even hungry. I need help any suggestions anyone?:sad:
  • TrishL1986
    TrishL1986 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a compulsive eater. I will eat things no matter what I am feeling. Whether I am happy, sad, or just bored I will turn to food. I don't even need to be hungry, as I usually am not. I really struggle with controlling the impulse to eat. Does anyone have any coping skills that they have found effective? I have already eliminated junk food from my house as that is too much of a trigger. However, I find that I will come across cookies or other "snack" items at work. Since there are no snack foods in my house, when I am hungry I will end up overeating foods that would not usually be bad for me. It is just very frustrating.