Fitness classes

Options
louisa_jay
louisa_jay Posts: 16 Member
Can anyone recommend any good fitness classes in London (central/south east)? I'm particularly interested in doing body conditioning, kick boxing or Pilates - but it's hard to find places that don't require you to be a member of the gym first.

Any suggestions welcome, it may be of use to others too.

Replies

• llc65
    llc65 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.
    I'm looking for a good Pilates class in SW London any where near Streatham or Croydon.
    If anyone knows of one let me know.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Any council-run gym (ok so they are now privately managed) will have classes such as BodyPump and BodyCombat plus a whole host of other independent classes for which you only pay a per class fee or a per term fee. Or at least that is the case in the Kingston area.
  • deesaf
    deesaf Posts: 46
    Options
    Can I recommend bikram yoga? I always thought yoga was for hippies but bikram is a serious workout. Because of the heat it is a cardio workout as well that burns as much or more calories than running, it improves core muscles and flexibility and you leave feeling like you have had a proper workout. I rarely love exercising but I f-ing love bikram. And there's loads of places all over London.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do a fantastic bootcamp three mornings a week (M, W, F) in Russell Square - it's a great mix of strength and conditioning work, very fun, and not at all scary (all encouragement, no shouting). If you are interested in details, message me and I can put you in touch with the guy who runs it.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Cue for a song, Y M C A. I know they do one-off classes but I believe they are quite expensive. If you are looking to do more than one class a week, getting a basic gym membership may turn out to be better value.
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Crystal Palace sports centre has pay as you go classes at very good rates, pilates, aerobics, balance ball, spinning - something for everyone. I would recommend it.
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do "Fight Fit" on a Wednesday evening in Sydenham with a trainer called Louise, I go to LA Fitness but Louise is not tied to them so I am sure she would do a session that is not tied to a gym. If you want her number PM me .. don't message me here as I'll probably miss it!!!
  • louisa_jay
    louisa_jay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Council or not-for-profit run leisure centres are a good shout. I checked out Crystal Palace, and you can do pay as you go there, but the times are only good for me on weekends...

As for Bikram, I tried that when they were doing an offer on classes. It's great, but takes a while to get into and after a while it gets a bit samey as the routine never changes. Some teachers can also be really mean to newbies!