New to Group - Subclinical Hypothyroidism

Options
2»

Replies

• brooke800
    brooke800 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What do you notice from soy? So you avoid all soy...I see soy in so many products, not just the obvious ones. It is hard to avoid, but if it'll help I'll do it!
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    How does Coconut butter differ from Coconut Oil? I have read they are the same, but I want to make sure the benefits for thyroid can be seen with either the oil or butter.

Thanks!

Sorry I never get email notifications anymore, need to check my settings ;) I am not sure of the difference between butter & oil so I just get the organic virgin oil :)
  • isys5
    Options
    What do you notice from soy? So you avoid all soy...I see soy in so many products, not just the obvious ones. It is hard to avoid, but if it'll help I'll do it!
    I have never been a big soy eater so I can't say for myself but I have read on many posts that soy is bad for hypo :)
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Soy is a thyroid inhibitor, so are peanuts... apparently they interfere with the thyroid. We don't need anything to inhibit our thyroids.

Soy is in my Ranch dressing... :sad: I'm going to try to find a brand that doesn't have it... or a recipe :ohwell:

I'm pretty sure the butter is further processed. The virgin coconut butter is in a more pure state...
  • isys5
    Options
    you know debby I have gotten so used to just making my own dressing I don't even miss the store bought stuff anymore. My hubby got me hooked on his version, just drizzling olive oil, vinegar (apple cider vinegar is nice and extra health boost), salt & pepper and a touch of sugar.

when I make mine, I now only use rice wine vinegar & lemon juice (boring hey, but I quite like it) I usually throw in a T of ground flaxseed to for a bit more flavor or toasted walnuts
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yes, I probably should.... hooked on ranch & cottage cheese on my salad though.... I'll find something. Once I use up the old stuff, that is. :bigsmile:
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I had ALL the symptoms of hypothyroidism, yet my doctor's did not treat me for it because all my hormone levels were considered normal. I even had he Free T3 and T4. It was not until I got a goiter that grew down into my sternum that I was finally treated by removing the right side of my gland. Hormones still "normal", but many of the symptoms have subsided. My advise is to keep informed and keep asking your doctor questions. If your current doctor does not take you seriously, find a new one. Doctors are not gods and you truly have to be your own advocate. You have to be relentless until you find a physician that works with you instead of against you.