A1C is 5.8

Options
Sharonks
Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
I did labs earlier this week. I don't know the results of the rest of them but the A1C has dropped from, I think, 6.4 3 months ago. The only problem is that most of this last 3 months I was eating about 35 net carbs per day. I have upped it to about 60 net carbs since I couldn't function so low. I'm going to see if he can send me to a nutritionist. That way, I can do the next 3 months eating a nutritionist diet and then see what happens to my A1C. I don't feel the super low carb eating is sustainable for me. It also didn't help me lose weight.

Replies

• waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Are you on any meds? I'm on Victoza, after trying Metformin and Glipizide first. My A1C a year ago, when I was first diagnosed, was 10.9, my last three tests ( 3 months apart and reducing meds) have been 5.8. I can tell you as I lost weight my sugar has been easier to control and I eat on average 100 to 120 net carbs, sometimes lower if I'm not active, sometimes higher if I am.
  • Sharonks
    Options
    2000 mg of met and a lot of exercise. I don't think I can ever be diet controlled. I wish I could get this last 10 lbs off, I wonder if it will help my BG. I plateaued eating 1200 cals plus exercise cals, 1260 (BMR) plus exercise cals, now at 1600 without most exercise cals. I seem to be getting smaller but not losing any weight or even inches, just that my clothes fit different.

These last few days I've been slacking on the exercise due to finals week. I've found if I burn about 500 cals doing aerobics every other day my BG behaves pretty good. Now that my PE class is over so I don't have access to a gym I need to start running on the track. Since the high school also just got out I should be able to do that now.
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    With eating so few carbs, is your body going into keytosis? What did your Doctor say? Are you against insulin?
  • Sharonks
    Options
    Don't see doc for a few more days. They wanted to be sure the labs would be done before I went in so I did them last week.

I personally don't think it is very healthy to eat so few carbs but when I eat more my BG is high. He won't put me on more meds because I often drop down to the 90s after working out. He's afraid I'll go hypo. But, the only way for my fasting to be really good is for me to do some kind of massive cardio cal burn every other day plus keep carbs low. Even with all that, it is generally about 120 so not like it's super low. If I keep my carb count low then my BG is really quite good during the day, around 140 or even lower. Soon as I throw carbs into the mix its up to 175 to 250.
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sounds just like me before I started taking insulin. I will get to low in the evenings if I am not careful now that I'm on insulin. Once I am done having children, I plan on going on long acting insulin twice a day instead of fast acting insulin before meals and long acting insulin a bedtime.
    Good luck at your Dr visit! Here is to hoping for more carbs!lol!