I'll start!

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
My experience with prednisone was short. My experience(S) with other corticosteroids have been short.

I fully GET how they can mess with your weight, your metabolism, your cycle. You name it.

Never let any one who hasn't spent time with them tell you "It's just math". "Calories in, calories out". YOU know better!

I don't either, but I respect it. I've been on steroids 3 times for SHORT times, and I already GET IT.

Best of luck! YOU CAN BEAT THIS!

Replies

• AllieCatz
    AllieCatz Posts: 26
    Options
    YEAH!! Thank you so much for joining and for suggesting the group! I was surprised to find that there wasn't one already and hope others struggling or that have experience and understand will also join.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    They will. I'll do a search each morning for "prednisone" and "steroids" and invite folks who post about them!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am a very severe asthmatic and I gained about 40 pounds. When most people start a predinisone ween they start at 30 mg. Mine usually start at about 60 mg. It's frustrating. I've asked other experts on here and they have few answers for me.

What I can say is that I am healthy. I participate in four 5K mud runs a year and finish them in about an hour. Not bad for a 35-year-old mom with bad lungs and about40 extra pounds she's lugging around.

I tend to be ok with losing about 10 pounds but that's it.

I hope we can help each other out.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
  • AllieCatz
    Options
    Thanks for the link. After reading that article I think I'm trying to do too much too fast. I'm trying to diet like I did before prednisone and it's too hard...much harder than dieting was before prednisone.
  • AllieCatz
    Options
    I am a very severe asthmatic and I gained about 40 pounds. When most people start a predinisone ween they start at 30 mg. Mine usually start at about 60 mg. It's frustrating. I've asked other experts on here and they have few answers for me.

What I can say is that I am healthy. I participate in four 5K mud runs a year and finish them in about an hour. Not bad for a 35-year-old mom with bad lungs and about40 extra pounds she's lugging around.

I tend to be ok with losing about 10 pounds but that's it.

I hope we can help each other out.

I'd say you're doing VERY good!
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    DayumStraightIAmEllie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    So i am not currently on Prednisone but i have had experience with this medicine in the past since i had Dermatomyositis as a child.

I know all about Prednisone causing weight gain, its not fun especially when its not really your fault that you are gaining weight.

Anyways, just wanted to lend some support since i really do know how this feels.

-Ellie:)
  • PinkGlitterGirl250
    PinkGlitterGirl250 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting a group for us. It is so nice to be in a supportive group with people who understand!
  • addiegurl
    addiegurl Posts: 1
    Options
    GD MRNG MY NAME IS BEBE AND I AM ON PREDNISONE. I HAD A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT IN 2010. AND IT HAS BEEN A BATTLE TRYN 2 LOSE THS WT. IWUZ AT 150 2 160 LBS BUT NOW IM OVR 200 AND ITS GTN 2 ME. I USE 2 WALK 15 MILES A DAY PRE TRANSPLANT NOW IF IM LUCKY I CAN WALK 2 TH MAILBOX. MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT I NEED HELP. IF NE 1 HERE CAN HELP ME I WULD APPRECIATE IT THANK U VERY MUCH
  • AllieCatz
    Options
    Ellie, thank for joining and being here to support us.

Welcome addiegurl, we're here for you and you don't have to go through this alone. ((hugs)) Hopefully I can understand your posts, I'm pre-texting so I don't know all the shortcuts and abbreviations you use, but I'll learn. lol
  • cortmom
    cortmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes I know posting the same thing but I could not figure out which discussion was active. Hi All, I have Vasculitis an autoimmune disease and I am on on the horrible drug Cortisone. Along with some other nasty drugs. I am a 42 mom with 2 boys. I have to take high dosages of cortisone to stay alive. But with the side effects of this drug I have gained lots of weight. I am way over my recommended weight. Now I have to try to lose it with the slow reduction of the drug. It is a struggle, but I am going to try. I want to lose 30 pounds first then go lower. I have a lot to lose. But I would like to be in a group with others that know and understand the stresses etc that goes with chronic conditions and the drugs.
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been on 5mg of Prednisone for over 2 years. At the beginning of this month, the doctor cut it in half to see if I can totally get off of it. I am on this evil drug to prevent rejection of my new heart (transplant 12/31/09). I've gained 30 ish # since the transplant.

I'm still learning what I have to do to lose weight. I lose well at 1000 calories, carbs < 100, lots of water and lots of exercise. I seem to lose a bit each day that way. If I try to bump it up to even 1200, I plateau and/or don't lose. That's even with >700 exercise calories burned.

I have lost 21.2# as of this morning. 19.2# after going down to 1000 calories, carbs < 100, lots of water and lots of exercise. In the 6 weeks before that, I lost 2#. I was using a walker at the beginning of February and today I walked, did weights and pool side calisthenics for THREE HOURS. If I can do this, anyone can, really!!

I have 3 weight loss goals - 32# from the Prednisone after transplant (12/31/09), 45# from after hysterectomy for endometrial cancer (12/31/04), the final 20-25# I've had since a child.
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Never let any one who hasn't spent time with them tell you "It's just math". "Calories in, calories out". YOU know better!

AMEN
  • straitcrzyMary
    straitcrzyMary Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Mary... I have been on and off Prednisone for the last 22 years.. I gained approx 75 pounds. For quite awhile I was doing IV prednisone for my Crohn's Disease. I was up too 175mg a day.. It was no fun at all. I had moon face, acne, horrible mood swings, swelling all over. I would forget what I was doing or put stuff in the wrong place all the time. I don't know how my wonderful husband put up with me.

Coming down is no fun either.. You get worse mood swings, very tired, irritable and hungry.

My doctor wanted to put me back last week on prednisone and I told him no. I will only do it now if it is a matter of life and death.

I have scars on my leggs, arms and stomach from the increase in the weight.

Don't get me wrong prednisone is a life saving drug and it does help in so many ways, but it does a lot of damages other ways.
  • KimFriesen64
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I hadn't had the transplant . I weighed 125pounds but I was very sick. Now I weigh 155 and growing but feel great physically. I would almost rather be that sick person. I am depressed all the time don't want to be seen by my friends. I work out like crazy, watch my calorie intake and the weight continues to climb. I am on prednisone for life and am learning to live with the extra weight and all the other side effects it causes...lucky me I seem to have them all!!! I am struggling....
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been off and on prednisone since 2001, when I was diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis (a strange disease in which the immune system attacks a person's own liver cells). I was on this last time for over 2 years and just came off 3 weeks ago. I guess I don't really see the drug as "evil" because I know I would not likely be here without it, but I do understand the nasty side effects it brings. I am still on 100mg Imuran (probably forever), but I am doing fairly well so far. I hope to stay off of the prednisone for a while, but I know I will be back on it someday. Anyway, I wanted to say hello to all of you who are suffering with both diseases and treatments. It always good to connect with people who understand our struggles. I am really sorry to hear of the troubles some of you are having. I have been so lucky not to have been on high doses (only up to 10mg a day) and I can only imagine how horrible high doses can be. I had insomnia and quite a temper just on that! I do fear that i will be forced to go through that some day, but I guess I will cross this bridge when I get there.
  • ShaunnaM
    ShaunnaM Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with crohn's disease 80% of small bowel in 2007, by 2008 I was obstructed despite the high doses of steroids, and my bowel perforated , I became septic, I had to fight to live, until after living on a picc line for two months, when I became a ER surgery, lost 2ft of small and 1ft of large, within a few months I was active again, and my female origins were messing up, Xmas 2008 I had everything except left ovary removed, cancer pre cells, uterus fell apart, was then weaned off oral steroids, and started on I'VE Remicade with I'VE steroids, have been on it ever since I now get it every 4 weeks, since my bowel surgery I have been diagnosed with , inflammatory and non inflammatory arthritis in both hips both feet and my ribs, fibromyalgia from head to toe, and chronic fatigue syndrome, and hypothyroidism, with a active history of mild asthma, psoriasis , eczema, migraines, basically my body is trying to kill itself lol
    But since exercising regularly, I feel functional, my body has a new normal, and the more activity I do no matter how slow I do it the better I feel, don't give up. Keep going. Know your limits. Listen to your body NOT your mind, my brain says no it will hurt and make me tired, I do it a little at a time , and if it wears me out I rest and try again later, I found table top pedals from Walmart helped me build up strength and stamina by pedaling with my hands and my feet while sitting on couch watching tv to distract me. Now I can do circuit training at the gym and walk a mile and swim slow laps. I will be honest, if I slack off, it feels like the longer I slack the closer to starting over I get, good luck everyone!!
  • sexyslimkim
    Options
    My name is Kim and I was simply diagnosed with chronic hives. Having no idea what started this, I get very depressed at times. My doctors cannot seem to find the cause and prednisone is the only thing that works. It started in 2009 and has continued til this day. I did have a symptom free period when I was pregnant. For 10 glorious months, I did not have a breakout...just morning sickness! I encourage everyone to believe in some sort of higher power to get you through your sickness. There are days when I want to give up, but I know that somethings are out of my control and failure is not an option so I press on. Hopefully one day this will be behind us all. Prednisone does what it is suppose to do, but the side effects are sometimes worst (for me). So for those currently taking this drug, my heart goes out ot you and the best of luck with your exercising.
  • ShaunnaM
    Options
    I am 35 (I think) 1978 lol I get the steroid in a big dose every 4 weeks with my iv Remicade, which I've been doing for almost 5 yrs, I have Crohn's , eczema, allergis dermatitis , extrinsic asthma , fibromyalgia , chronic fatigue syndrome , inflammatory & non-inflammatory arthritis in both feet both hips and my right rib, bone spur along my cspine, chemical depression, mild OCD, General & social anxiety, hypothyroidism , and major adhesions all over my abs from all my surgeries, which causes major sharp pains in my ab muscles at times from activity as small as standing up, never know when that's gonna hit , but I am a happy person, have a sense of humor, two kids 16 yr old boy and 8 yr old girl, a great husband who spoils me , a dog who is a Maltese named Jax, a guinea pig named snowball. I find I have to do massive amounts of cardio to lose more than a few lbs, with all the meds I take plus the steroid it's like hiking up a mountain with a bungee cord pulling from behind.
  • ShaunnaM
    Options
    Omg !! I get hives all the time even just from getting wet in the shower! I was told its allergic dermatitis , cause I have so many autoimmune disorders and lots of meds so they couldn't figure out what causes it, and if they did I prolly already take the med to treat it lol good to know I'm not alone I thought I was just a freak, sucks for you that you have it but good for me to know I'm not crazy