Rant: Insulin is the devil...

Or I guess I should say artificial insulin injections.

I just went to the dr a few weeks ago and he told me some good news--my a1c was at 5 after being at 14 3 months ago. But I still left the office feeling disappointed because he couldn't tell me anything that will help me lose this last 10-20 lbs.

I lost over 80 lbs through eating healthier and taking up running. It took me about 6 years but in those 6 years I was taken off all my diabetes meds. Then about a year ago my sugar levels went crazy again and I stopped losing the steady 3 lbs I was losing a month. So when I finally went to the dr after admitting my diabetes might be out of remission, I became even more upset when after trying just oral and lower carbs my levels didn't change. And then my dr finally said I might just need insulin.

I'm 28, about 145 lbs at 5'5, and I still have a flabby tummy. And now I gained a few more lbs with the insulin even though I cut my calories and upped my workouts.

The dr. told me a few weeks ago that insulin shots will definitely hinder my weight loss unfortunately unless I cut an extreme number of calories (he suggested netting 1200--crazy!). I did the low cal thing and was ended up always feeling faint, I couldn't study (I'm taking the TX bar here in a month), and working out was very hard.

So I've been weight training. I reset my metabolism (upped my cals for a while and now cut back again). And I'm trying to forget I'm on insulin and just try living healthier.

It's just frustrating when people like my boyfriend weight trains just as hard and loses 10 lbs in a month and gets a six pack and I still look the same.

I'm not completely blaming insulin and my diabetes for being stuck at the same place. And I'm not giving up.

But after reading article after article as to why insulin shots cause people to have a harder time losing weight than if they weren't diabetic, I'm just frustrated and angry that I'm not even 30 and live pretty healthy and still can't wear a bikini or the hot little dress I want.

Ok, I'm done with my rant. Anyone on the same boat? Has anyone actually gotten cut and toned and muscular while on insulin shots?

Replies

• mmsexybetty
    mmsexybetty Posts: 34 Member
    I struggle with my weight too. I don't think it's as cut and dry though as saying, "Insulin makes you fat and hungry, so just deal with it." I also have thyroid issues as well as Type 2 Diabetes, so it's double jeopardy for me to lose weight. From what I understand, there are different insulins that will help with suppressing appetite and help you to lose weight. However, some people can't handle that kind of insulin. I would suggest that you speak with your doctor and find out what might work best for you.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    I know some people on insulin who deal with it by watching their carbs. If they are low carb then they don't need as much insulin. Lower dose means they aren't bottoming out and going hypo so they don't need to eat to chase the hypo then rebounding and getting high again which requires more insulin and on and on.

Other than that, I think it is something we just sort of have to deal with. I have thyroid issues and only take met but I have not been able to drop this last 10 lbs.
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    I know some people on insulin who deal with it by watching their carbs. If they are low carb then they don't need as much insulin. Lower dose means they aren't bottoming out and going hypo so they don't need to eat to chase the hypo then rebounding and getting high again which requires more insulin and on and on.

Other than that, I think it is something we just sort of have to deal with. I have thyroid issues and only take met but I have not been able to drop this last 10 lbs.

I so agree with watching my carbs and taking less insulin. I get headaches if I depend on it to much!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    It IS that cut and dry. DM2, by definition, puts you in a hyper-insulin state. That's why we look at food and get fat. And extra insulin from outside and the "fat and hungry" problem just gets worse. Thyroid "issues" are easily managed and should be a "non-issue".

Deal with it or stay fat and get fatter. AFAIK, there are NO insulins that suppress appetite.
    I struggle with my weight too. I don't think it's as cut and dry though as saying, "Insulin makes you fat and hungry, so just deal with it." I also have thyroid issues as well as Type 2 Diabetes, so it's double jeopardy for me to lose weight. From what I understand, there are different insulins that will help with suppressing appetite and help you to lose weight. However, some people can't handle that kind of insulin. I would suggest that you speak with your doctor and find out what might work best for you.

While there are no "insulins" that suppress appetite, there are some Liraglutide injections available that are "touted" to "potentially" reduce appetite (i.e., Victoza). Not an insulin, but I think very often confused as one. I take Victoza. It doesn't do crap for my appetite (i'm not an overly hungry person to begin with - tried to tell my endo that). It does help me utilize my own insulin more effectively though, which along with my Met, helps a lot.

I disagree with "thyroid issues" being easily managed and dismissed as a non-issue. I have "thyroid issues" (its actually a disease), and they have be much more difficult to get under control than my Type 2. I have attacks 3-4 times a year (not because i need a change in meds, but because that is how the disease works) that can be completely dibilitating, with anitbodies jumping from the 90's to low 100's up to over 600. My Type 2; however, I'm able to steadily keep my morning BS under 110, and steady throughout the day.

To the OP, I appreciate your rant, and I feel for you, truly, especially at your age. Not that I advocate it for anyone else, but for me, I'm working on eliminating wheat & glutens from my diet....in hopes that will help my Type 2 also.
  • Thank you, everyone.

I am on Victoza, Metformin, and insulin (Solostar). I am working with my dr. to up the Victoza and metformin and reduce the insulin. I also watch my carbs quite a bit and exercise about 4-5 days a week. I've notice that with lower doses of insulin, my sugar spikes even if I'm eating very low carbs (for instance, I had a salad with oil and vinegar at one point before they upped my insulin a few months ago and my sugar went to 240 even with Metformin). So insulin unfortunately seems pretty necessary to my dr. at this point. He doesn't think I'm making much on my own anymore since it's been over 10 years since I got diagnosed and he's seen that happen (usually with older people).

Insulin, especially when you're administering artificial insulin, puts you in fat-storing mode. When you're trying to build muscle and look as close to a fitness model as you can, it's sailing against the wind.

So it's not as cut and dry for me because although I'm at a healthy weight and my sugars are in control now with these three meds, I'm struggling to get that young, toned, sculpted look after 3 months now of lifting weights and watching my calories. If I just wanted to lose weight and control my sugar, I'd be happy right now. But I want to LOOK amazing. And this pudge won't budge. It's not like I'm over here 50 lbs overweight, eating terribly, have high blood sugar levels, and am ranting. I worked REALLY hard to lose over 80 lbs and now I'm stuck.

But thanks again for the responses!
  • StartingAtSixty
    StartingAtSixty Posts: 85 Member
    Hi.. I noticed that you were only 28 years old, and that you were diagnosed 11 years prior. That would have made you 17 years old at the time of diagnosis. My daughter who was diagnosed at 17 was told she had Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes. Just curious as to why they diagnosed you as Type 2... If it developed as a result of weight then as you lost wouldn't it go away? I'm not a doctor but this is puzzling to me.. Do you see an Endocronologist? I have Type 2 that developed as I became obese and I am also 60 years old....
  • Sharonks
    StartingAtSix, not all T2s are obese or older. I was within normal weight range, 34 and very active. But you bring up a valid point, many people are diagnosed as T2 but later it turns out they are LADA or T1.5.

Melissa you may want to have then see if you are LADA. Ask the dr. to run a C peptide and GAD antibody on you. LADA is similar to T1 except your pancreas continues to produce insulin for several years at a decreasing rate. If you are LADA insulin eventually is the only thing that will work for you. Although some T1s end up insulin resistant and on met to help with that. It seems that takes quite a while to occur or some people think they may also have T2.

I was diagnosed T2 but just had a C peptide run and it turns out I'm in the normal range but at the very bottom. It's making me wonder if I'm not LADA so will ask for a GAD antibody next time. Part of the reason I wonder is because I have never been a typical T2.
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Hi, I just peeped your food diary, looks like your doing 40c/40p/20f for your macros. That's what I was going to suggest. I also noticed that although you may be under your caloric goal, you are not meeting your 40/40/20 ratios. I am usually on that ratio settings but in the summer when I cycle a lot more I switched to 40c/35p/25f to compensate for the added activity.
    As for the insulin, As diabetics, Our muscles are insulin challenged and literally don't get the message.I won't try to explain the science behind this. Some of us have to work 4 times as hard to get the same results as a "normal" person.
    So I hear your rant, Now go out and burn some more calories....;p
  • Sharonks
    I"ve seen 12 year olds with DM2 (insulin resistance). More and more kids are being dx'd with DM2 every day.

It is scary to think that there are so many. I have always figured I would die early because I got it in my early 30s. I'm always afraid of the rot because I have so many years of it ahead of me. But it is one thing to be 34 and eating healthy and exercising, it is another thing to convince a 12yo to do that. Is there some reason it is becoming more prevalent? I realize that kids are way more sedentary than they used to be and there are probably more obese kids now but is there some other reason? I have always wondered why I got it so young since I wasn't obese and others in my family don't get it until they are either obese or old. I had a scientist (not medical guy but an earth scientist) tell me he believed it was from chemical exposure.
  • I actually have never heard of LADA. I just looked it up and that's really interesting.

The doctor keeps telling me I'm "borderline Type I" and that initially when I was diagnosed with Type II at 17, I was heavier and they may have misdiagnosed me. I'm not sure he ever checked my C-Peptides or if he DID diagnose me with LADA but never came out and said it. He did tell me as I become older, I'm most likely going to be insulin dependent no matter how thin I get because of my beta cells. That sounds like the description of LADA, doesn't it?

I'm doing cardio every other day now and doing weights in between. My sugar levels, like I said, have been pretty good. My fasting never goes about 90 and two hours after I eat it's usually around 130-140 depending on what I eat. Getting protein in has been hard though especially since lately with my 50 hr work weeks and studying for the bar and working out dinner ends up being quick and/or out. It's pretty frustrating when I see people doing what I'm doing and already the scale's moving and their clothes are fitting better.

Anyone have any recommendations about weight training vs cardio? I'm doing both but as a diabetic, am I going to see more fat loss/muscle gain if I up my cardio or up my weight training? The cardio I'm doing mostly to keep my blood sugar level but I'm not doing more than 20 mins on most day (I try and go 45 to an hr on weekends because more time).

Thanks again, guys! And feel free to add me!

I'm dealing with
  • Sharonks
    It does sound like LADA. There is a board over at TUdiabetes.org that is for LADA. The people over there are very knowledgeable and there are some great posters throughout all the boards.

It is frustrating. It is very hard for me to lose weight too. Not sure if you are heavy lifting but that has helped some people. I'm going to get some weights when my financial aid check hits next week. Other than that, it sounds like you're doing good since your BG is in control. Not sure how many cals you're eating but maybe eat more? I joined Eat More Weigh Less group and upped my cals to 1600 then had the dr. tell me I really needed 1800 to 2000.
  • TheEmi
    TheEmi Posts: 40 Member
    I'm late to the discussion since I started actually using MFP recently. I am in a somewhat similar situation, just have more weight to lose! I am on 20 units of Lantus/day along with 1000 met 2x/d and 10 mg glipizide in the evening. I've been busting hump for 6 months now and have lost not one pound. With MFP, I'm adjusting my eating habits in the efforts to lose weight and, hopefully, reduce my meds.

I got angry last week when my endocrinologist suggested no more than 1000 calories/d to lose weight. Excuse me? I don't think so. I can see 1200, but 1000 is BS. I think that level would send my numbers all over the place. (I've found 1300-1400/d makes my fasting numbers and interval numbers better. That's just me, though.)

Anyway, I get the frustration and hating being on insulin. I also wonder about LADA and T1.5, but neither endos I've seen take it seriously.