Give me some energy!

Options
I have been on the paleo lifestyle for one month. At first my training intensity was OK.. But now it is slumping, I normally have the following during the day:

Training: 1 hour
Breakfast: 4 eggs, handful of raisins and nuts, banana
Lunch: 750g's veggies (broccoli cauliflower carrots), Chicken legs (x5)
Training: 1 hour 30
Post Training: Bacon and egg ommellette (2 bacon slices 3 eggs)
Tea: 750 g's veggies, large portion of meat

12 cups of water+ a day
Weekend: longer training hours (perhaps 3 on saturday, sunday would be a rest day)

I need some ideas to keep my training intensity high otherwise I will be returning to oats or something similar.

Height: 180cm
Weight: 69kg

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That's an awful lot of training each day. Is there any particular reason for such high intensity & long hours doing that much training? You're definitely not eating enough to refill yourself after that. I see a post-workout meal, but no supper?

Most paleo/primal resources stress that you don't spend hours and hours training daily, and stress that if you do train intensely (such as you are) that you add a lot more carbs such as sweet potatoes, etc to your post workout meals along with your protein.
  • wodforbacon
    Options
    What type of training and intensity were you doing in the first place? I would say you're not eating enough, but also add in some fruit...the sugar in fruit gives your body easily available energy to fuel the workouts. And if you're worried about gaining weight from the sugar, don't. Sugars are the first thing your body burns for energy and if you are truly working out that much at a high intensity
    you will burn through all of it quickly.

Try maybe a banana before your first session, then along with your between session meals add other types of fruit as well.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    On days that I have intense training (90 min of cycling 18mph+; ~1300 cal burned) I eat a sweet potato or a couple of pieces of fruit two hours prior to the ride. Right before the ride (15min) I have about 2 Tablespoons of honey. I also make sure I eat a lot that day as well..... Breakfast, Lunch, and snacks ALL day.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Cheers for the replies my training consists of cycling (intense intervals some days, lighter endurance miles other days.) I'm going to consume more sweet potatoe and fruits. (Perhaps 5 fruits and 2 potatoes per day?!)
  • kaiman1
    kaiman1 Posts: 27
    Options
    Basically, from what research is saying, can the endurance rides and focus on your sprints.

If you want intensity I would look at CrossFit. (www.crossfit.com)
    All the intensity you can handle and then some, without the long hours.

Also, just for something to toss in there, Tabata sprints.
    You can do them on the bike or burpees or whatever you can do in a quick movement.
    The idea is to go to YOUR limit every time, so it automatically fits for you :-)
  • Anonymou5
    Options
    Sacked it, ate oatmeal protein powder and raisins for breakfast, milk and chocolate post ride, potatoes for lunch, rice for tea.

I was FLYING, energy coming out of my ears. 21.5mph for 35 miles.

Paleo = cutting. Carbs = performing.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sacked it, ate oatmeal protein powder and raisins for breakfast, milk and chocolate post ride, potatoes for lunch, rice for tea.

I was FLYING, energy coming out of my ears. 21.5mph for 35 miles.

Paleo = cutting. Carbs = performing.

Plenty of ways to get good carbs and stay within the Paleo realm if that is what you want to do...obviously for the type and intensity of training you do your body needs a lot of carbs and quick energy...all the previous posters were right in sweet potatoes and fruit.
  • Anonymou5
    Options
    Aye perhaps, but sweet potatoes arent really that convienient, plus they are far more expensive. I havent noticed any detrimental effects from my change in diet, I will keep you posted if it all starts to fall apart