intermittent fasting

Options
Does anyone incorporate IF with thier Paleo diet for fat loss? I have read about it on Mark's Daily Apple and a few other authors. Just curious if anyone has tried it? I can do it... just needs extra planning.. cause i'm eating my 'breakfast at 10:30 ish and then my eating window is open till about 8.

Replies

• digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF ala Martin Berkhan's Lean Gains, and I have had really good results with it. I don't supplement with the BCAA like he recommends, but I have a ton a muscle to spare, but haven't seen any muscle wasting because of the weight lifting in his prgram. I started doing it because I was bulking up doing body weight exercises, and when I switched the the reverse pyramid lifting with the IF, my muscles started to get longer while increasing muscle strength. I usually only eat two really big meals a day with the same caloric intake as 3 meals, that way less planning and I get a longer fasting period. Although, it is sometimes a struggle to get all the protein in my diet.
  • Smonks00
    Smonks00 Posts: 31
    Options
    I'll have to look into that reverse pyramid.
    i do Crossfit and i feel that i have leaned out quite a bit, but would like to look toner. But that might where my nutrition comes into to lose the body fat.
    to get enough protein do you drink any shakes? i do 2 max pro shakes a day and then a recovery after a hard gym class.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have done ese twice a week off and on. It is quite effective for me at getting over plateaus and does make me feel quite good on those days. I have done bcaa when I have them and do crank up my protein on lifting days.
  • Smonks00
    Options
    Good to know . Thanks!
  • digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i do Crossfit and i feel that i have leaned out quite a bit, but would like to look toner. But that might where my nutrition comes into to lose the body fat.
    to get enough protein do you drink any shakes? i do 2 max pro shakes a day and then a recovery after a hard gym class.

I did whey protein shakes for a while, and I found that it actually hinders my fat loss. I haven't been able to choke down egg protein shakes (blahhhh). Robb Wolf and Amy Kubal recommend just sticking to real food because they have seen that their clients don't lean out either when using shakes. Although, carrying hard boiled eggs and chicken is not easy for an after workout snack, but it seems to give me better results.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options

I did whey protein shakes for a while, and I found that it actually hinders my fat loss. I haven't been able to choke down egg protein shakes (blahhhh). Robb Wolf and Amy Kubal recommend just sticking to real food because they have seen that their clients don't lean out either when using shakes. Although, carrying hard boiled eggs and chicken is not easy for an after workout snack, but it seems to give me better results.

I use an egg white protein powder that I made myself from truenutrition.com (egg white, whole eggs, MCT oil, vanilla, stevia- next time no sweeteners/flavors, per fiancé). It's mainly as added liquid calories for my fiancé, but it also ensures that I have *something* post-workout, which is difficult when my schedule goes crazy due to work. It also guarantees a simple breakfast (add water, chug).

There's also a Jay Robb plain powdered egg white, which might work if you're just looking for portable protein. I'm tempted to pick some up and try it out.
  • kaiman1
    kaiman1 Posts: 27
    Options

Hi, I do crossfit myself now and find that CrossFit is not so different, in weight lifting, than what Martin proposes.

If you look at Martin's reverse pyramid, it is nothing else but a
    1-1-1-1-1-1 set with decreasing weight as you can handle it.

As for IF, seems like you are burning enough calories already, if you've leaned out.

My bet would be on higher intensity in your weight lifting.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about why IF may not be as great for women as it is for men. Let me see if I can find it.... Worth considering.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options

Great article!!!

Paleo for women doesn't look like it's up anymore? :( Maybe it's just me?
  • Smonks00
    Options
    Wow! I like this website. And I was able to get it to work.. thank you for sharing this with me.
    sounds like IF is not the thing for women... good to know, especially if i want to have children in the next year.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Paleo for women doesn't look like it's up anymore? :( Maybe it's just me?
    It must have just been a weird day because it's working now. :ohwell:

Thanks for the recommendation! I already love this website :D
  • Smonks00
    Options
    yes, i too love the website.
    and i have stopped fasting for now. i was not in love with it to begin with. so that was not to terribly hard to do.