Issues

Options
Okay during the week I am good. I weigh myself every day which I believe I need to stop. But any way I weighed myself yesterday I was 214.8 and then I weighed myself this morning I am 217. :( What am I doing wrong? it's like i start of every week at the same weight.

Replies

• mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You have to find out what works for you--and it takes time to do that. I found out that for me I put the scale out of sight until weigh in day which is saturday (sometimes Friday if I know Sat I won't be able to weigh in) I have had a few weeks with no loss--three weeks in a row once but I have have had no weeks with a gain. This works for me because I don't want to stress over the daily ups and downs.
    For me it also works to lose very slowly, and after the first month 8 pound flush its been 3 pounds a month. Again for me I have an eating and exercise routine that I know I can stick with long term and transition into maintaining easier.
    For me after trying extreme lo-carb (20 net carbs) for a month I found that I couldn't exercise the way I wanted. My sweet spot on macros is 20%carbs 30%protein and 50%fats, with my calories set to 1450. My total calories are usually around 1500-1600 so I don't meet my net often but this is working for me.
    So you are not doing anything wrong, you just haven't figured out what works for you.
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    I let loose on the weekends (I know it's stupid... throws me out of weight-loss mode), and always go up a pound or two by Monday. It's just water weight. Seriously- think about how much you would need to actually eat to gain that much REAL weight in two days. I read this the other day on a post here on MFP, it's brilliant!

(paraphrasing)
    "2000 calories is about what your body needs to maintain your weight and keep all your organs doing all those lovely keeping you alive things that they do. Your body burns all those calories AT REST. That means while you're sitting on your butt, walking to the fridge and back, etc., your body is making you breathe and make new cells, etc., and burns those 2000 calories. To gain a single pound, you'd have to eat another 3500 calories on top of those 2000. That's 5500 calories. That's A LOT of calories. You'd have to eat two large pepperoni pizzas by yourself to consume 5500 calories. 32 crunchy tacos from Taco Bell is 5500 calories, as is 12 double cheeseburgers from McD's."

As much as I let loose on the weekends, I don't even come close to eating enough to gain REAL weight. One time, just to see what I was really doing on the weekends, I logged everything. Every bite of fast food, every piece of chocolate. And you know what? I was only at 1,900-some-odd calories each day. So I don't stress it. I still follow my one golden rule about only eating if my stomach is growling, but I eat what I want on Saturday and Sunday when it does growl. And Monday, I get back on track, drink a bunch of water to flush out the retention, and by the end of the day on Tuesday I'm back where I was the previous Friday, and still go down a pound or so by the end of the week.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    "2000 calories" is not some magic number, ShiloMaier. If you saw that in a post that means the person was responding to someone who has a Basal Metabolic Rate of 2000. That is a fairly HIGH BMR. I am 283 lbs and 5'8" and my BMR is 2050.

Your photo doesn't look like you would have a BMR of 2000. You can use this calculator to find yours: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ Don't be too excited with eating "only" 1900 cals if your BMR is not 2000.
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    I wasn't quoting that as exact science. My point is valid if you need 2,000 a day or 1,500 a day. You would still have to add 3500 cals to whatever your BMR is to gain one pound of actual weight.