New Rules and Running

Options
obeseto13point1
obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
I am training for a half marathon so I run three times a week. Plus I do some classes that I think I am going to quit in order to do New Rules. I was wondering if anyone has kept up a running program AND did new rules. I am wondering if this seems do-able or otherwise I might wait until after the half:).

Replies

• Lindsay0405
    Options
    I'm half way through Phase 1 and have continued to do cardio on my off days. I started couch to 5k Saturday and will do it 3 days a week. Listen to your body - last week was my TOM and I just didn't have the extra energy and stuff to do any cardio on top of lifting. We will see how it goes as I continue working through the program.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am no Marathon runner but I always run on my days off. My glutes were SCREAMING yesterday morning. But I was able to do run with no problems.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to plan it out. I wouldn't do a tough lifting workout on the same day as a tempo run, intervals, or your long slow day. But you should be able to double-dip on days when you run easy. That said, you'll probably just want to stick to 2x per week of NROL4W, to ensure you actually get quality rest time in.

Example:
    Sunday - long run
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - easy run plus lifting
    Wednesday - intervals or tempo (ie. whatever speedwork your plan calls for)
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - easy run plus lifting
    Saturday - rest

Do watch your nutrition though - your body will definitely need good quality protein and carbs to be able to advance.

As a sidenote, I have been off running due to injury for the past 2plus months. Luckily, I was able to complete Stage 1 throughout this time. I just got back to running, and was able to do 45 minutes (combination of intervals and steady state) the first time out. My legs are soooo much stronger because of NROL4W.

Good luck and keep us posted! I'd love to know how you progress.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I do 3 days of NROL4W and 3 days running with 1 rest day. I am only in stage 1 though of NR, I know that after that it gets a lot more intense so I may scale my running down at that time but for now it's fine. I'll probably go to 2 days running, 3 days lifting and 2 rest days.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I kept up running during stage 1, then my legs were too dead to do so during stage 2. Now that they have gotten stronger, I have been able to add in runs 3x a week, but not long ones. If my lifts start to suffer, I'll cut back on the running.

Good luck!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have two workouts left in Stage 1 and have been running the whole time. Prior to starting NROL, I was running 20-25 miles per week (prepping for my 20k a few weeks ago). I lift 2-3x week, depending on my schedule. I think only once I ran on a lifting day (brutal), but other than that lifting hasn't effected my running (or reverse). For me it was totally doable to run and lift.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I stopped running when I start NR but I missed it so much I start back last week. I run a little after I lift, mainly for cool down (very slow jog and mostly walking) but on my office days, I've been running like usual. I only run for 30 minutes but it's enough to get a good sweat on and I feel so good afterwards. If I remember correctly the book discourages cardio while doing this program, but I figure I will listen to my body and if it hurts or it's too tired, I'll stop.
  • SweetPea482
    SweetPea482 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Im finishing up Stage 4... and im completely in love with intervals (tho not as much as lifting). in reading the book, it says NOT to do interval cardio on the days immediately following a workout with intervals. I have been sticking pretty tight to the Rules, and have only done the bike, or elliptical, or just a basic walk on my off-lift days.

I really really want to start training more for a 5k, and maybe integrate the C25K in a little bit into my routine, but im worried about reversing all of my work in lifting.

I did a Stage 4 workout with intervals yesterday, and followed it today with 20 min bike, and 30 min intervals on the treadmill. i hurt. i was sore before i did the cardio, but did it anyway

anyone this far into the stages doing any running/intervals with good results?