Introductions

Options

Replies

• Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    My name is Ryan and I am 27 years old. I lived in Delaware County all of my life. I have been working at Boeing for 5 years. I'm a diehard Eagles fan and enjoy going to Phillies games.

I weighed over 400lbs when I was 20. I had gastric bypass and that helped me lose about 80lbs. I didn't stick with it and just kept on eating (which expanded my stomach back to normal). I gained a little weight back, but then I just went on a regular diet routine of eating healthy and working out.
  • Kim_SFB
    Kim_SFB Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My name is Kim. I lived in Pittsburgh for 8-10 years & lived in Philly for almost 3. I like Punk, Metal, Goth, The Misfits, Rockabilly. Zombies, MMA, WWE , UFC, books
  • theevan2
    theevan2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello All,

I'm Evan, a college student at Drexel study Culinary Science. I'm 26 and live in Far Northeast Philly. I started to lose weight hoping to feel better physically and to become more attractive to the opposite sex.

I've been doing 1 pound a week for about 3 months now and have accepted that it will take awhile but I/m gonna live that long anyways so might as well become healthier and happier.

I enjoy all types of games (board and video), some TV shows, reading the Dresden files, and I'm a decent cook (my friends say I'm awesome, but that's for someone else to decide) . I'm a hopeless romantic and enjoy the simpler things in life most days. I also started home brewing recently and I do a balcony garden every year.

That's me in a quick nut shell.
  • Kim_SFB
    Kim_SFB Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey Evan,
    What music do you like?
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    My name is Kim. I lived in Pittsburgh for 8-10 years & lived in Philly for almost 3. I like Punk, Metal, Goth, The Misfits, Rockabilly. Zombies, MMA, WWE , UFC, books

Misfits are one of my favorite bands, along with Danzig
  • theevan2
    theevan2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey Evan,
    What music do you like?

I usually listen to ska like the slackers or reel big fish. I also tend to listen to bands like Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys. Anything with an upbeat tempo or sometimes a haunting melody.
  • jennctech
    jennctech Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I live in West Chester, been here about a year and a half... previously lived in the Lehigh Valley area (Nazareth, Allentown and Bethlehem) from the age of 8. I was born in Virginia. I'm 37 and struggled with my weight all my life... I've been on ever diet known to man I think, lol. I also had surgery, lost a LOT, but gained over half back, so here I am again at it. This time I'm trying to make it a lifestyle change and not just a diet.
  • BabyRuthe
    BabyRuthe Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm Ruth, and live in the Mt. Airy section, where I've been for about 7 months. (I was born and raised in Philly and the Philly area, but moved around a bit after college, and have now made a full circle!) Don't have any interesting hobbies to speak of, pretty busy with my job.

Joined MFP on the recommendation of my best friend, but she and her hubby, who I was doing this with, live over in Europe and are currently super busy, so they haven't been on much and I realized, after a doctor's appointment yesterday, that I need to really start doing this again and get support, because I'm only 5 pounds away from my highest weight. I'm 5'5" and currently 135. I know that's not obese or really overweight, but it feels bad to me especially when 2 years ago I was at my goal "happy" weight of 125. I have a heart condition and as such my doctor would like to see me on the low end of the scale, she doesn't want me to overload my already troubled heart. This also complicates things a bit in terms of what kind of exercises I can do. When I was at my goal weight, I was doing yoga 3-4 times a week, which made me feel good and was a safe way to exercise. I'm currently working on finding a new gym (I've moved 2x in 2 years!), and think I may have found a winner, but in the meanwhile, althought I walk to and from work, it's only a 15 minute walk each way, and then I sit at a desk for 8 hours!

I was interested in starting waist training, so if anyone here knows anything about that, please let me know! But there's no way I'm starting that until I've lost at least 5 pounds! So I'm excited to start being accountable again, trying to live healthier, but still feeling pretty bummed from yesterday's reality check with the scale! Any tips, tricks, questions you have for me are welcome! Thanks all, and have a great day!
  • mtaylor1980
    mtaylor1980 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Same here! Samhain??

Misfits are one of my favorite bands, along with Danzig
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Beth. I've been living in Drexel Hill (DelCo) for the past 8 years. I work down in Delaware. I've been on MFP for just over two months; it has become a habit!
  • jlove720
    jlove720 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wassup Philly folks! my name is Jasmine, but pretty much everyone calls me J. I'm 29 y/o, will be 30 in July. Born and raised in Philly, moved to Pittsburgh to go to school and wound up getting stuck there for 10 years. I work for PNC Bank in the operations building out by the airport. I recently joined the 12th street gym in Center City. It's easy to get to from work and home. I enjoy sports (watching and playing but I can't play right now because I had ACL replacement surgery a little over a year ago and need to lose weight and be cleared by my surgeon before I can participate). At the gym I pretty much do cardio work on the stationary bike and treadmill and also shoot around on the basketball court. I had a session with one of the trainers there to work on toning up. I enjoy lifting weights (as painful as the days after are; but "no pain no gain right?" :indifferent: ) Other than that my hobbies include hanging out with my 3 nephews (twins will be 5 in Oct and the little guy is 6 months), having family time, hanging out with friends. I love the movies, and going to Dave and Busters (big kid at heart). So if ever you guys wanna meet up maybe on Delaware Ave and have some fun while burning some calories, shoot me a message!
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Im Ally Mae! Im a painter and soon-to-be teacher and working on my masters degree for art education.
  • pozzicb01
    pozzicb01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello people from philly!!! Im just getting back on track and im looking for support this time around. Im 31 and live in South Philly. I go to Sporting Club at The Bellevue on Broad and Walnut so i'd like to hook up with people who go there. Im excited about getting healthy and helping others with support and encouragement.
  • rfoster86
    rfoster86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Rachel, I'm 26 and I'm new to this whole thing. I just graduated with my masters of medical science degree from Salus University. I'm A physician assistant and will be working in Oaks PA but I live in Manayunk. I love to cook, read, The Chive (KCCO!) and overall can have a good time doing just about anything. I really want to get back into shape, which is one of many reasons why I decided to join MFP. Over the past 2 and 1/2 years I put on about 30 pounds just from not watching what I was eating and lack of exercise. I'd love to blame it on grad school, and that's what I told myself, but the truth is, I wasn't taking care of myself the way I should have been and I want to change that starting now. I don't have many friends left in the area and no family close so I thought I could get (and give!) some support from people who are on this journey as well. Feel free to message or contact me, still a little unsure of how all this works! Thanks and happy holidays everyone!
  • cmserene
    cmserene Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey all! I'm Christine, 36 and I live in Downingtown, work in Exton. I've been struggling to lose weight since the beginning of the year and then found MFP just last week so hopefully this is the last stop shop for weight loss! I love to hit the ball around on a tennis court, like to ride bike and love to swim (when I'm not thinking about how I look in a bathing suit)!

Would love to find some single folks in my area that I could maybe get into a steady exercise routine with and we could fight the battle of the bulge together! Feel free to add me as a friend or send me a message :o)
  • Guerrillascribe
    Options
    Hey, all. I'm Matt and I live just north of Philly in Elkins Park (though we tend to hang a lot in Glenside). I've been in the area for nearly three years and are still finding our way around after having spent a decade living in Europe. I do Weight Watchers and work out at the Abington YMCA three times a week. I also do a lot of walking, including twice-daily to the train stop. Nice to meet you!
  • sharris215
    sharris215 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Shannon and I live in South Philly. I had a job I really hated for almost 9 years and managed to put on 50 pounds in the last 3 years (yikes!). Now I'm starting my own business and taking off the weight while I'm at it. I'm currently doing strength training 3x/week (upper, lower & abs), I'm about to start Level 2 of Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred (which I do 6 days/week), and I also do a killer HIIT jump rope workout 3x/week. And since I live in the city, I walk quite a bit and love to go hiking in Wissahickon Valley Park.

Nice to meet everyone!!
  • RickB1975
    RickB1975 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey everyone! I have been using MFP for a few months now and just now logged on to the website and had no idea forums existed! so we (my wife and 5yr old son) have lived in Philly for 1 year now. We just moved here from Kansas City, and before that we lived in LA and NorCal, which is where I am from. I took a new job and relocated here to work at Lincoln Financial Field. So far we freakin love Philly...it is such a food town...which is how I put on 20lbs since I moved here...lol. I have lost 11 of the 20lbs in the last 2 months and am looking forward to getting back down to a very lean weight with the help of my new Fit Flex and MFP.

I am a new avid runner and am basically using MFP to lose the weight I need to and to train for the Spartan Run at Citizens Bank Park, which I registered for with some coworkers in Sept.

That's all for now...good to meet everyone!
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, happy icy/rainy Sunday! Looks like this thread has been dormant for a while so I'll give it a jump-start. I'm Jenn, 43 years old, live with my husband in the Plymouth Meeting area. After suffering from back problems on and off of years (that plus awful eating habits gave me quite a few extra pounds), I'm slowly starting regular exercise again -- swing dance classes once a week and the occasional Zumba class. Looking forward to ramping up the exercise assuming the back holds up!

My husband and I also recently started eating Paleo-ish… cutting out as much junk as possible but allowing ourselves the occasional treat so we don't fall completely off the wagon. :) It's helped to cut back on a variety of health issues I had, and I've already lost a few pounds which is an added bonus.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!
  • chrismikey
    chrismikey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Chris. I'm a full-time worker to support my full-time schooling. I go to Arcadia and until recent, lived in Center City right around the corner from McGillins. Probably a partial reason I'm the way I am now.
    Just tired of feeling this way. The always tired, not quiet right. Being negative is never good. But I know I have done it before and got in killer shape until injury and no insurance sidelined that. Now I have killer insurance. LOL
    So no more excuses for me.