Just starting. I need friends and motivation!

Options
bozmo
bozmo Posts: 177 Member
Hello,
I have been trying to get back into running. I've never been a "runner", but I used to jog a couple of days a week and have completed 2 5Ks, both at about 32 minutes which I think is respectable. But that was a few years ago and I tried to jog 2 miles last week and almost died! So now I'm using the c25k plan. I have several podcasts downloaded (thanks for all the tips in the sticky thread on this) and I did my first run yesterday. It wasn't too bad but I feel my quads today.

If you are running the c25k please help me keep me on track! I have started these things before and about week 2 I start to slack off. What do you do to keep motivated? Feel free to add me as a friend!

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out as well. I'm not necessarily a runner, but have always had an appreciation for it. I was a sprinter in high school for a bit but found that long distance was more my thing, just before I fell off running completely. So, now I'm trying to get back into it.

I have completed a round of Turbo Fire this year and am currently halfway through ChaLEAN Extreme. I have wanted to add running into CLX for the cardio. I have a fear (or uncomfortableness) of running outdoors. I think it's more that I'm self conscious of what I look like running. I've started out on the treadmill. It went way better than I had anticipated so I'm thinking I might feel ok hitting the streets.

I did week 1 last night but I'm feeling like I can move on to week 2. So, next run I'll try week 2 and see how I feel with that one.

Add me if you like. :smile:
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. This morning I completed Week 3 Day 3.

My motivation comes from the fact that I've signed up and paid to run with a group and coach starting on July 7. It's a Couch to 4 Miler training group in my city. I should be able to complete Week 6 before then, so I'll have a head start.
  • bozmo
    Options
    That sounds like good motivation Drastic.!
  • Zirkelbach56
    Zirkelbach56 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started on Monday myself :) Though, I only just discovered this group and the running plan they have. For the past couple of days I've been killing myself trying to jog without first building up my stamina. I'm starting with the C25K tomorrow morning and hoping it treats me well :) I've never been a runner but I've always loved sports and staying in shape, the problem is I don't have time for organized sports with my hectic schedule and have an easier time fitting in running at sporadic times. Best of luck to you! Feel free to add me (I just joined this site so I don't have any "friends" yet :p)
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am on wk5d2. I skipped a few weeks because I've been jogging/walking for a year now and I'm planning on doing a 5k in July. Feel free to add me if you want.:smile:
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me. I just started last week
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting my self. Day one tomorrow morning. Feel free to add me, same going for anyone else on this lovely getting in shape journey that we all love so much! :)
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4, feel free to add me! :)
  • amyliz0226
    amyliz0226 Posts: 37
    Options
    Just finished week 2 this morning! Feel free to add me!

I used to jog (for only a few months) about 5 years ago! I want to run a 5k, and build up to a 10k. I also want to get into running as a hobby so I will always commit to exercising! It seems to be addictive, and it is an addiction I need to add to my life!
  • eissak
    eissak Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 2 tomorrow. I used to run regularly, but that was years and many pounds ago!
  • moesaid2
    moesaid2 Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and I have always wanted to run, but have never really had the motivation. I hope to find some friends who can help support me.

I WAS supposed to start a c25k program here where I live about two weeks ago, but it was a "do it yourself" type of program. I NEED others with me for support and motivation....so I'm reaching out. I'm gonna be adding some of you as friends :flowerforyou: and hopefully I will be ready for my first fun in August.

I'm also signing up for a 5K Mudd run in September...it sounded like fun and there is actual mud involved....!!!!
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Oh ladies, you CAN DO THIS!! :flowerforyou:

I'm VERY overweight (need to loose about 50 lbs), and short, and nearing middle-aged.

I can give you some tips:

1. Never be afraid to repeat days or even weeks. I had to take over a week off due to horrible shin splints. I went back to the previous week's last day and am doing that day all week this week...just to get back into the groove. I have repeated entire weeks before.

2. If at all possible, stay off the sidewalks. I have two options, living in the city- sidewalk or asphalt. I was trying to do everyone a favor by staying on the sidewalks, and about KILLED my legs. I ended up in so much pain. Asphalt is softer and has more 'give' than concrete.

3. Do the 'talk test'. I run alone, but I have my tunes blasting, so when I start feeling winded, I try to sing along. if I can't sing along, I slow down. The idea is that you should be able to carry on a conversation.

4. Always remember- you are building stamina NOT speed. Speed comes later.

5. If you're jogging and it feels too hard/you can't breathe/something hurts, SLOW THE HECK DOWN! Still can't breathe? SLOW DOWN SOME MORE!!! Yes, you will probably feel like you're not doing any more than walking, but trust me, you ARE!!! :bigsmile:

6. SHOES are so very important. Even if you just buy a pair at the department store- make sure they are labeled RUNNING shoes not cross trainers or walking shoes. Your legs will thank you.

7. Stretch- before and after. And if you have the slightest hint of shin pain, ICE ICE BABY!! :laugh:

8. If you're using a smart phone (I'm an iPhone girl), use the free C25k app- there are a few- I use the Zen labs app and it's fantastic. Also, get yourself a pedometer/gps type app. The one I have, I tried the free version for a month and then upgraded and paid the $2.99 for the full version. It tells me my average speed, my current speed, how long I've been out, how far I'v gone, and calories burned. I can also look back at the last 30 days and see my progressLOVE it.

9. For those worried about how they work- like I said before, I am fat. I also have rosacea (so rosy cheeks all the time, which becomes 'someone-has-beat-the-hell-out-of-me-red' very quickly), and I'm kind of goofy looking to boot. Put your tunes on and don't worry!! Frankly, most people would be in awe of you for even trying!!!

10. Have fun. Don't hurt yourself. Don't push yourself to injury. Repeat weeks and/or days. Wear good shoes, have good tunes, and have fun!!! :happy: :drinker:
  • bozmo
    Options
    Oh ladies, you CAN DO THIS!! :flowerforyou:

I'm VERY overweight (need to loose about 50 lbs), and short, and nearing middle-aged.

I can give you some tips:

1. Never be afraid to repeat days or even weeks. I had to take over a week off due to horrible shin splints. I went back to the previous week's last day and am doing that day all week this week...just to get back into the groove. I have repeated entire weeks before.

2. If at all possible, stay off the sidewalks. I have two options, living in the city- sidewalk or asphalt. I was trying to do everyone a favor by staying on the sidewalks, and about KILLED my legs. I ended up in so much pain. Asphalt is softer and has more 'give' than concrete.

3. Do the 'talk test'. I run alone, but I have my tunes blasting, so when I start feeling winded, I try to sing along. if I can't sing along, I slow down. The idea is that you should be able to carry on a conversation.

4. Always remember- you are building stamina NOT speed. Speed comes later.

5. If you're jogging and it feels too hard/you can't breathe/something hurts, SLOW THE HECK DOWN! Still can't breathe? SLOW DOWN SOME MORE!!! Yes, you will probably feel like you're not doing any more than walking, but trust me, you ARE!!! :bigsmile:

6. SHOES are so very important. Even if you just buy a pair at the department store- make sure they are labeled RUNNING shoes not cross trainers or walking shoes. Your legs will thank you.

7. Stretch- before and after. And if you have the slightest hint of shin pain, ICE ICE BABY!! :laugh:

8. If you're using a smart phone (I'm an iPhone girl), use the free C25k app- there are a few- I use the Zen labs app and it's fantastic. Also, get yourself a pedometer/gps type app. The one I have, I tried the free version for a month and then upgraded and paid the $2.99 for the full version. It tells me my average speed, my current speed, how long I've been out, how far I'v gone, and calories burned. I can also look back at the last 30 days and see my progressLOVE it.

9. For those worried about how they work- like I said before, I am fat. I also have rosacea (so rosy cheeks all the time, which becomes 'someone-has-beat-the-hell-out-of-me-red' very quickly), and I'm kind of goofy looking to boot. Put your tunes on and don't worry!! Frankly, most people would be in awe of you for even trying!!!

10. Have fun. Don't hurt yourself. Don't push yourself to injury. Repeat weeks and/or days. Wear good shoes, have good tunes, and have fun!!! :happy: :drinker:

This is great advice! Thanks. I've been using several podcasts on my ipod and they help a lot to keep pace and not quit early.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm on W7 & aside from a week off due to an ankle injury (hiking) I have kept at it...to my surprise cuz I've never, ever been a runner! I'm loving the program:)

Love to add some fellow C25K'ers so feel free to add me as well:)

Best of luck everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Good day to you bozmo feel free to send me a friend request.

I am currenlty on week 2 so far.
  • SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just started week 3 this morning. I'm loving the program so far! I have never been a runner, even in my best shape, but I'm finding this to be doable and I'm suprising myself with each run. The only thing is I've developed soreness/stiffness in my joints, mainly my hips. Other than that, everything is going well. Best of luck everyone!
  • Mundy86
    Mundy86 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm there with ya. W1D3 set for tomorrow even though I want to go out and do it today. Crazy yes. I attempted C25K at the start of June but was not ready to juggle a newborn and working out quite yet. Now I need the me time and have a calender on my fridge with every other day marked with running or DVD. So far I have 4 days marked off. :)

Bozmo what do you ride? I'm beyond excited to get to ride next weekend for the first time since getting pregnant last August. Can you say withdrawls!!! I have a yamaha ttr 230. I want to upgrade to the 250 but no point in the next few years as we build our family. I'll just have to steal my husbands 450 when I want more get up and go.
  • bozmo
    Options
    hi Mundy!
    I have the WR250F with a lowering link and a shaved seat. Good to heat someone else rides too! Let me know how your ride goes. This is the first weekend in a while that I'll have to pass.