What do you wish someone had told you?

Options
hipkat
hipkat Posts: 6 Member
I started running about six months ago, more or less on a whim. Now, I'm running alone or with a running group a couple times/week- very short distances. And I signed up for a 5K.
I've never run a race before. Now, it's less than three weeks away and (I know- it sounds dumb) I'm nervous.
What was the best advice you got about training or racing? Or what do you wish you had known?

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    1. That it's not abnormal to be a little nervous the night before.

2. Find somebody that is running your desired pace and don't ever lose sight of them. All my PR's have been from chasing somebody!

3. I normally run in the evening, so the first time I ran a morning race I ate a "normal" breakfast and got sick as can be during the run. Fruit and yogurt doesn't agree with me when I run. So figure out what works/doesn't work before the run. I've since learned oatmeal & coffee does the trick for me.

4. That if you've ever run on the west side of Chicago there is no need to do a zombie "Run for Your Lives" 5k, as you've already done so! (Whenever I drive thru the area I think, "Wow, you ran here? Crazy girl.")
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My best piece of advice comes from one of my sons favorite movies, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming". It doesn't really matter how long it takes you to get here, just keep running. Oh, and make sure you go to the bathroom a few times before you start ( I always get the pre-race excitement poo's). Good luck!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    the only person you need to beat is yourself.

That's the beauty of running, cause your only competition is you.

I did a run on sunday, and there 33000 (yes that is thirty three thousand) runners. 10,000 of those where in my race alone.

Running with others does help to motivate you to go a little faster.

But one thing is for sure. Fartlek or any other interval training is your friend. It will help you run faster, as will hills.
  • hipkat
    hipkat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! That's all great stuff. I think I'll end up rereading this a few times in the next couple weeks...
    I've just taken my workouts outside in the last few weeks. It's very cold and hilly where I live. So now that it's above freezing in the morning, I'm out. The hills are beating me up after months on a treadmill, but I figured it was probably important to toughen up a little before the race.
    I'm enjoying this so much more than I thought I would. I don't think my first race will be my last, but for this time, my goal is just to do it and without walking!
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would have told me how important a good pair of running shoes can be for your progress. They make all the difference and can give you the extra ummmpf when you need it.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

4. That if you've ever run on the west side of Chicago there is no need to do a zombie "Run for Your Lives" 5k, as you've already done so! (Whenever I drive thru the area I think, "Wow, you ran here? Crazy girl.")

OMG I lmao when I read this. I could have saved myself the the $70 and just go run through the ghetto! lol :P
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    I just ran my first 5K last weekend. I wish that I had taken my earbuds out of my ears at the very end. There was an announcer there, and it would have been nice to hear my name at the finish line.
  • Minkyboodle86
    Minkyboodle86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can. Then do better next time. :) At least you signed up and you're going for it. Good luck!