Good info Free Weights vs Machines

Options
fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
So I got my free weight setup in my house.

Using my HRM, when doing free weights I burn about 25% more calories than if I use a machine. I am guessing its because on a machine you dont normally engage stabilizer nor secondary muscle groups that you do with free weights. Same length of workout, more burn...gotta love that.

Tasty little tidbit of info.

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    That's exactly it. That's why free-benching is better than using a "Smith" machine style bench press.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY ! You got it !

P.S. I'm a "girl" and I bench on flat bench with Olympic bar .. no sissy Smith machine for me : )

Mike - you are gonna LOVE weights - the gun show will be coming soon ! LOL
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I heard a quote once (I think it may have been from this group) that machines build pretty muscles and free weights build functional muscles.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I did my first NROLFW workout yesterday. It was 5 moves that took 25 minutes and I burned over 100 calories.

I feel like that's a LOT for what I was doing but maybe I did........
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That is good to know! I tend to use free weights too, but I do think machines are good for someone who is just starting out to learn form and to get the joints accustomed to the exercises safely. I just don't want anyone reading this that is using machines to think they aren't doing any good, because they are!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    That is good to know! I tend to use free weights too, but I do think machines are good for someone who is just starting out to learn form and to get the joints accustomed to the exercises safely. I just don't want anyone reading this that is using machines to think they aren't doing any good, because they are!

Here, Here! Are you moving? Then you're doing fine in my book :)

Machines are great for rehab, isolation work and for those who have ataxia. You drop a free weight on you ONE TIME and you don't forget it :laugh:

Do I recommend free weights first? Yep! Even if it's a pretty pink dumbbell- we all start somewhere :)