My forearms and wrists can't handle the weight!

Options
ouandi
ouandi Posts: 135 Member
Anyone else have this problem when holding dumbells or weighted bar? Specifically regular deadlifts and alternating lunges with dumbells in my hands. My wrists and forearms give out before my legs get even close. I've had this problem for years but my old trainer always avoided adding more weight or any exercise that put strain on my wrists. Of course, then I made no progress in my lifting or body composition.

I'm now doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I seriously think I may have a hairline fracture in my right forearm. I can't even lift a book with my right hand. Are there alternatives I can do? I can used a weighted bar on my shoulders for lunges but won't get anywhere near the weight I use now (40+lbs). What about deadlifts (currently at 105lbs)? I love, love deadlifts they have transformed my legs but there is no way I can do them anymore without risk of serious injury to my wrists. I am doing leg press but honestly not seeing the same results as I do with the deadlift.

Thanks.

Replies

• annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    I have this too. I noticed it on Thursday in a class (compound exercises), trying to do a movement with the smallest kettlebell we have (6Kg) and I was totally struggling to lift it. The instructor was paying attention & brought me a 4Kg dumbell instead, which I didn't have the problem with.

I've got a gym session this afternoon, so I'll have a chat with him then (it's the same guy should be on) & see if there's anything he recommends for strengthening forearms/wrists & post back later.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I was about to suggest barbell for the lunges-the Oly bar is 45# -do you have access to one? Squat rack or power rack?
    I don't think there is anything you can do instead of deadlifts. Is it you grip that gives or do you think it might be a fracture? You can train your grip with Farmer's walks for example. I hope it's not a fracture, but check with a doctor-you may do more damage if not checked.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue with deadlifts. the first time i did 95, i thought my forearms were gonna rip. gradually, my forearms and grip got used to it. i make sure to bring the barbell back down to the ground at each rep so my grip/forearms get a quick sec to rest.

now, i'm deadlifting around 110 and my forearms no longer get fatigued as quickly.

another thing i've been doing is just hanging on a pull-up bar we have at home, to improve my grip strength. i could barely hang on for 2 seconds before, but i'm slowly working my way up to a minute now.
  • moniemrs
    moniemrs Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, i was worrying about this problem just today. i will try the pull up bar.. good advice :smile:
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I use stretch bands to strengthen my wrists... they're like.. bands of stretchy, resistant plastic, and I do various exercises with them. I'm going to get a dynaflex gyro wrist exerciser thing, too, since I hear those are the best for wrist strength. My flexibility is really bad in my wrists, but I have noticed that when I actively work on it I can almost get good angles. :/
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    I had a chat with my gym instructor last night. He said that for forearms/wrists, you can do reverse bicep curls (with a light weight), or holding a bar, flex the wrists, which will help.

If you think you've got a hairline fracture, it's definitely worth getting that checked with a doctor.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm now doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I seriously think I may have a hairline fracture in my right forearm. I can't even lift a book with my right hand.

FULL STOP.

Get thee to a physician. Injury isn't to be worked over like soreness. As women we have double-worry of bone density as well, so you need to know if that's a concern before you get further in your training.

When you're cleared to work out again- add grip increasing exercises: give the Farmer Carry a whirl. It will increase your grip strength.
    Demo video- This guy has special handles- you can use kettlebells, barbells, dumbbells- jugs of milk etc. Depends on what you can lift already.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWMTXWV3NYA&feature=related
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm actually pretty concerned I've reached the full strength of my wrists and forearms. I'm saying that because even as a child I had problems in gymnastics and ballet with my wrists and ankles giving way during tumbling and toe ballet. Then my forearms started to hurt from lifting my son out of the car and it's just gotten worse from there.