Running in the morning...

Options
darkling_glory
darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
Hi all! I'm just about done with week 2 and really enjoying the program so far.

My question is about running in the morning. Normally, I prefer to run right after work and before dinner. But it's been 90+ degrees out and yesterday I thought I was going to melt, it was so hot. My options are to wait until the evening when it's cooler or run in the morning.

I think I'd prefer to run in the morning because the idea of running after eating dinner is unappealing to me. Do I need to know anything about this? Do I just get up, walk out the door and run? Should I eat something or drink some water?

Sorry... I'm a total running newb, so I'd appreciate any help you could give!

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I live in south Texas so running during the day or evening isn't an option this time of year. I run at 6 am. I just get dressed put on my shoes and I'm out the door. No food or water. It's been working great for me. However I'm a running newbie too so maybe I'm doing it all wrong.:tongue:
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I run at our rec center in the morning- I usually have just water- and not too much, just enough to wake me up. A couple of times I have been too hungry and had 1/2 of a banana just so I don't feel too sick. I have run before after dinner- (45-60 min after) and that wasn't too nice! :embarassed: Just made me feel kind of sick! However, I may have no choice this fall with my girls' school schedule.....
  • Dottiesweet
    Dottiesweet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning around 6. I like running in the morning because it calms me before a hectic day of work and kids. I usually drink a cup of water and eat a small banana and raisins. Since I have been having trouble meeting my calorie goals( in a healthy way), I just started eating yogurt and granola before I run.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I also live in South Texas (Houston) and run at 6 a.m. I find if I wait until 7:45 p.m. (when it finally starts to cool off) then I don't want to go to bed....and I'll get hot while I sleep.

Where are you from?
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am and run and I LOVE it! It's been super hot/humid here too and this morning I felt like I was running through pea soup! Plus there's fewer people out to see me! LOL

I basically get up, get dressed, get my shoes on, grab a couple sips of water (because I'm ALWAYS thirsty when I wake up) and head out. I eat a greek yogurt when I get home usually.
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 also. Running in the afternoons or evenings is soooo not an option right now! lol Just, get all my stuff ready the night before, get up, dressed, drink some water and out the door.
  • bradybugsmom
    Options
    I have been running between 5:30-6:00 in the morning... it seems to work out better for me compared to running later in the day. I wake up, suit up (haha), grab a few sips of water and off I go!
  • Mundy86
    Mundy86 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Think i need to get up early and run. Today it was 97 during my run. 100+ is in the forecast for the next week. Only issue is a 9weekold. So hard to juggle everything. Dont even wanna think about adding work back in to the mix.

Does anyone use a pod cast that has music set at different tempos during the run/walk sections? Does it help with your pace?