Set a marathon PR this weekend!

Options
ebaymommy
ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
I ran Grandma's Marathon in Duluth MN on Saturday and finished in 3:50:27 setting a PR over last year's run (same race, finish time last year was 4:04:54). Very, very pleased with my time, my goals were #1 to run a smart race and #2 to finish in under 4 hours. Anything under 4 was icing on the cake. I'm getting close to a BQ time....right now (this year) I'd have to run 3:35 but next year I turn 35 and would have to run in 3:40 which I think I could do given another year of training.

Replies

• therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! This is quite an accomplishment -- very well done. I am starting my training in July for a BQ time and running the Baystate Marathon in Lowell, MA in October. It is so tough to qualify for Boston -- but I am going to be smart about it and really focus. Gotta love the age differential though -- at 25 I have got a long way to go in mastering 3:35!

Again, you did amazing -- stay proud!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I ran Grandma's Marathon in Duluth MN on Saturday and finished in 3:50:27 setting a PR over last year's run (same race, finish time last year was 4:04:54). Very, very pleased with my time, my goals were #1 to run a smart race and #2 to finish in under 4 hours. Anything under 4 was icing on the cake. I'm getting close to a BQ time....right now (this year) I'd have to run 3:35 but next year I turn 35 and would have to run in 3:40 which I think I could do given another year of training.

Well done! Yes, I believe it's reasonable for you to BQ with a sub 3:40 next year based on that finish. Good stuff!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I am starting my training in July for a BQ time and running the Baystate Marathon in Lowell, MA in October.

I am making my first BQ attempt at Baystate as well! Being a man stinks. Even at my advanced age of 44 (at the time of the race), I still have to run sub 3:15 to qualify.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Great job in less than great conditions!

So sorry I didn't end up seeing you though. i mean, I was seriously about 4 min away towards the finish..I bet you even ran by us! We peeled off right before the last turn and the metal gates went up and were standing on the left side.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • trout3063
    trout3063 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • brandyk77
    Options
    Forgot to comment on the BQ thing, totally doable. Last October I ran a 3:54 in Des Moines. My goal was 3:50 but I had some stomach cramping issues after 19 (stupid gels) that caused me to lose some significant time. At Fargo in May, after a good training cycle and a tweaking of my nutrition plan, I ran 3:36:33. I never really bonked or anything..it was amazing. Since I am already 35, that was a BQ for me!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That's so great! Contrats!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Excellent!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    awesome, great race
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    Forgot to comment on the BQ thing, totally doable. Last October I ran a 3:54 in Des Moines. My goal was 3:50 but I had some stomach cramping issues after 19 (stupid gels) that caused me to lose some significant time. At Fargo in May, after a good training cycle and a tweaking of my nutrition plan, I ran 3:36:33. I never really bonked or anything..it was amazing. Since I am already 35, that was a BQ for me!

I didn't know your ran Des Moines! I used to live just north of DM and have run the marathon twice (2008 and 2010). Glad to hear your times. I think it's doable as well, just gotta keep on training and pushing myself to get faster and smarter. This weekends marathon was probably the most intelligent one I've run, so at least I'm learning something as I go along. LOL!
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What nice progress! It is lovely to see when the hard work pays off. Which race is your mom thinking about in September?

I've found a couple more things to work into my schedule before my first full in October. Thinking I maybe shouldn't be screwing with the training schedule too much but hey- you gotta have fun too and I don't think I'm over doing it. But I want to build up and make sure I get to 23 as my last long one 3 weeks out from the race. Plan only goes up to 20- I'm keeping weekly mileage about the same as the plan...another 10K is just too much for me to leave on the table. For me personally if I can manage the 23 and recoup pretty good then I feel confident to finish the 26- it's my first which means I get to set a PR no matter what so taking it somewhat easy is the goal. I might feel slightly defeated if I can't finish under 5 and anything closer to 4:30 is better but I'll take injury free over anything else.
  • brandyk77
    Options
    But I want to build up and make sure I get to 23 as my last long one 3 weeks out from the race. Plan only goes up to 20- I'm keeping weekly mileage about the same as the plan...another 10K is just too much for me to leave on the table. For me personally if I can manage the 23 and recoup pretty good then I feel confident to finish the 26- it's my first which means I get to set a PR no matter what so taking it somewhat easy is the goal. I might feel slightly defeated if I can't finish under 5 and anything closer to 4:30 is better but I'll take injury free over anything else.

Just a quick question, what is the reason for the 23?
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    That's a great time! Congrats! :drinker:
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Look out BOSTON!
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    What nice progress! It is lovely to see when the hard work pays off. Which race is your mom thinking about in September?

I've found a couple more things to work into my schedule before my first full in October. Thinking I maybe shouldn't be screwing with the training schedule too much but hey- you gotta have fun too and I don't think I'm over doing it. But I want to build up and make sure I get to 23 as my last long one 3 weeks out from the race. Plan only goes up to 20- I'm keeping weekly mileage about the same as the plan...another 10K is just too much for me to leave on the table. For me personally if I can manage the 23 and recoup pretty good then I feel confident to finish the 26- it's my first which means I get to set a PR no matter what so taking it somewhat easy is the goal. I might feel slightly defeated if I can't finish under 5 and anything closer to 4:30 is better but I'll take injury free over anything else.

We're thinking of running the Fox Cities Marathon (in the appleton/oshkosh area) in late September.

I wouldn't think you'd need to run 23 miles before your first full. Actually I had never run over 20 miles in any training program for my previous 4 marathons. I did this time (did 21 once and 23 once) and I'm not sure I'd do it again....that's a lot to recover from. I think I'd just stick to the 20 milers.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. What an inspiration you are.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congrats again! BQ is in the bag for you next! :wink: