Tell us about yourself/your goals

Options
I will start :-)

My name is Bri and I'm completly new to this whole running thing. I am excited to get healthy and would love to eventually run a half marathong (by next year) and than a full marathon. I would of course like to get to my goal weight through this running experience for the record heres my stats:

Height: 5'7
SW: 185
CW: 176
GW:135-140

I am doing this to not only get healthy but also to give myself something to focus on besides the dang scale!!! Im nervous I will fail but owe it to myself to start and at least try. I want to change my lifestyle and get healthy for my 4year old I need to teach him healthy habits so he doesnt struggle in life later on!!

What about you?

Replies

• met42485
    met42485 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Miranda and I am also new to running. Until a few weeks ago the only way anyone would catch me running was if it was away from something I didn't think I could fight or hide from. Then I did some research, saw how running can change every aspect of your life and decided to give it a shot. My goal is to run the Boulevard Bolt, a 5k held here every Thanksgiving morning.

Stats:
    Height: 5'9"
    SW: 239
    CW: 224
    GW: 145
  • Neondragonfly
    Neondragonfly Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Neon from West London, UK.

I'm new to running and am too very nervous about failing this challenge but would like to give it a go.
    I have joined another group for a 6 weeks challenge and one of the goals is to walk/run/jog etc 90 miles by the end of the challenge. This will definitely help me along with the challenge.

My stats are:
    Height: 5ft 5ins
    Start weight: 231.2 lbs
    Current weight: 227.6 lbs
    Goal weight: 125 lbs

Thank you for starting this group, I'm ready to start. Tomorrow here I come!
    Good luck on your challenge everyone :)
  • opeay
    opeay Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm also new to running. I recently had a surgery on my foot. Before the surgery, there was no way I'd be able to run at all! A year ago, if someone said "Do you want to go for a run?" I'd laugh out loud. You know, actually out loud. Now that my foot feels so much better,I want to know if I can run. Or what I can really do. That's what got me started with the C25K. I just finished week 1 day 2, and it hasn't killed me yet! I don't have any running buddies here, in fact, most everyone I know thinks I'm nuts for running in the first place, so maybe we can be running partners instead?

Anyways, happy running!
  • Terra145
    Terra145 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My name is Terra. I just started doing some jogging over the past month and I have found it to be very motivating. I am very much enjoying watching my mile time decrease and my ability to run further and further! I too have a rough time with watching the scale, so running has been a great way for me to monitor my progress without using the scale. I started my weight loss in January, but didn't start tracking on MFP until April, so here are my January to date stats:

Height: 5'5
    SW: 235
    CW: 215
    GW:145

I am turning 30 in October and I would like to be a healthier me for my Birthday! We are also planning a big celebration next summer for our 10 year anniversary! Along with the motivation of having three boys, in which i want to teach at a younger age how to live a healthier life. I don't ever want them to struggle with weight the way I have over the past five years.

I look forward to celebrating everyones success. I downloaded the app and I am heading to the track this afternoon! =)
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Ya!! Awesome goals everyone!! Im so happy I've got so many buddies!! I cant wait to see what we all do over the next 9 weeks!! Please feel free to add me if you havnt already :-)
  • TinaA72
    TinaA72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Tina I am a working new mom and just graduated from college in May 2012. i actually ran my first 5k last October and have been running with the C25k program since...However I just restarted my training due to a lack of time between work, school, and my now 16 month old daughter. I just completed week 1 Day 2 and I realized how much I missed it! I usually just strive for time more than distance while doing the C25k Program..I figure the distance and speed will come after the endurance, form, and breathing improve. Anyway, I saw your group and would love to join..always looking for added encouragement and the thought of others going through the same program and hearing about their personal stories keeps me motivated as well. So please add me if you need someone to listen...
  • heatherambrosia
    Options
    This is great! I'm so glad to see everyone supporting each other, and the timing of finding this group is perfect!

I downloaded a c25k app from Run Double. It's a 9 week program and I'm in week 7. I'm to the point where I'm just supposed to run for 25 minutes straight, but it's difficult. I've not yet done it, but I will! My company hosts a 5k every august near atlanta, and last year I was a volunteer. And the year before that. And the year before that.

So, I'm going to DO it this year. I had gastric bypass in July of last year and was just 1 month out at the 5K last year, so this year I want to show what a difference a year can make. I hope to be able to run it all. 6 weeks ago, I would have thought that was unrealistic, but now with just 2 months left, I really think I might make it! Here are my stats, and please feel free to friend me if you want to stay connected!

Age - 31
    5'5
    SW 343
    CW 228
    GW 150
  • rudy7020
    rudy7020 Posts: 62
    Options
    I started today as well. I wish I could get the app, but I don't have that kind of phone. I just listened to music on my IPOD.

About me:

55 years old
    SW 199.9
    CW 179.2
    GW 159.0

I thought I was going to die as I'm not very athletic and don't run, but I did it! Go me.... now I have to psych myself up to do it again because it was so hard!
  • drotarthebarbarian
    drotarthebarbarian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kasey. I am a single working mother of three boys, 5, 4 & 22 months. I started with MFP in March, but pretty much ignored my weight and exercise after less than a week. I just wasn't ready. I am now. I am currently doing Tapout XT & decided today that I needed to have a concrete goal besides measurements and the scale. I WILL run the Run For the Cheetahs 5k on September 2nd.

Let's do this!

SW: 221.5
    CW: 205
    GW: 145
    34 years old
    5' 9"
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi all I'm Jasmine. Im a 26 yr old mom of 3. 2 girls and a boy. I joined mfp last July however just became active May 8th. I started the C25K program on the 14th. I am going to repeat the first week although I didnt have much of a problem. Week 2 just seems scary! I downloaded the app from active.com. love it so far!

Height:5'4"
    SW:243
    CW:231
    GW:14
  • tetracat
    tetracat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lynsey. I just started C25K on Saturday. Made it through day 1 ok, or so I thought! My calves killed me for the next two days, and now it has been over 90 degrees every day this week. Going to start again tomorrow night after it cools down some. I really want to run a 5K this fall just to show everyone that I can!

5'5.5"
    SW 195
    CW 157
    GW 135
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

Just did Day 1 today; how neat that this group is here! I used to jog when I was younger (I'm 52) but it's been over 12 years (and I was lighter then)! I've been walking briskly for a couple weeks now, so that helped, I think. My stats:

5'4"
    SW: 148.8
    CW: 147.6
    GW: 130

Good luck, everyone! Let's be sure to stretch, too!
  • amrie81
    amrie81 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Amy. I'm a 31 year old wife and mama to a 5 year boy and 21 month old girl. I used to be very athletic. I played basketball, softball, and ran track. In college I began running a lot. My husband ran cross country in high school and college so he kept me motivated when we were dating. Then we got married and that's all she wrote! Not much running anymore. We started on a huge fertility saga and all I did was pack on pounds. Now here I am 9 years later and the heaviest I've ever been in my life!! I've worked out/run on and off over the years but haven't really stayed consistent. I'm ready to get the old me back!

5'2.5"
    SW 210
    CW 207
    GW 135

I actually did the first workout yesterday (MWF schedule). My son rode his bike and I took the dog while the hubs stayed home with the girl. It was really nice to get out with my son and making sure I'm doing right by him and keeping him active as well!
  • smustakeem
    Options
    Hi Everyone:

I am new to the site and kinda sorta new to running. Well I am a former athlete (soccer player) however over the years I got caught up in life. Although a soccer player i hated solo running. With running now the "in thing" all my friends seem to be leaving me in the dust with running as I blame it all on work. At any rate a friend has been on me for a year to do at least a 5k, 10, and then work up to a half marathon next year. I finally said let me commit to a month of consistent running and then we will see. At the age of 34, I'm the heaviest i have ever been in my life its time to make some serious changes to feel good about myself all over again.

I did get out today and get my first run attempt in at least 3 weeks or so...did 2 miles by running 1 mile 3/4 and walking 1/4. Here's to more!!!

Goals: To do a 5k this fall and just be consistent with running at least 3-4 times a week. The other critical goal is to lose weight of course. Hope to learn/gain greater inspiration from you all. Thanks for the group!

5'1
    SW 165
    CW 160
    GW 120
  • KauandMe
    KauandMe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am Janet. I joined MFP in May after learning that my blood glucose level puts me in the pre-diabetes range. Research has shown that 58% lower their risk of diabetes by dropping 7% of their weight and exercising 30 minutes per day. I already wear a pedometer and usually log in enough steps (8K - 10K) but I need to up the intensity to get me in my target heart range.

I started jog/walking on the treadmill ten days ago and surprisingly, it has worked out well. I wasn't following C25K at the time; I jogged one minute, walked two minutes etc. Now I am jogging 90 seconds, walking 90 seconds and picking up the pace. I don't really see myself running a 5K (yet). I just needed some way to motivate myself and mark my progress that was non-scale related.

I also do a little biking (another way to mark my progress). I started off at 9 mph and now I'm about 13 - 15 mph.

I was a sedentary non-athletic gal so that I can bike and jog/walk at this pace amazes me....and THAT is the coolest feeling!
  • Viveyp21
    Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    hey

I used to play college softball so I used to run all the time but now that I have graduated the last thing I wanted to do is run. I work at an EMS company in dispatch so I sit for 12 hours at a time and I feel so sluggish. Not to mention I gain 60 lbs since I graduated. I am so excited to start the C25K. I start today after work. I am going to do the timed version because I wanna build my endurance back up.
  • michyneck
    michyneck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello... I'm Michele from Tampa, FL. I just started C25K on Monday. I've been working in my weight since January and added the gym in March, Currently, at this point, I thought I needed to mix it up a bit. I am not a runner... have never been a runner... and honestly i'm not sure what I got myself into. lol. I want to quit after 27-33 seconds of running. It's like my body doesn't know how to breathe and run at the same time. I want to hold my breathe until its over... clearly that wont work. Today I'm on day 3. Wish me luck. :)

Height: 5'3
    CW: 198.8
    SW: 241
    GW: 140-150... not sure yet. Continually setting little goals so I am not discouraged.
  • CJ33711
    CJ33711 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is CJ and I am very excited about running with all of you! I use to be a runner, I even ran The Disney Marathon in 2000. I stopped running about 10 years ago because of a ankle injury. Then I gained about 40 lbs and I always thought that was too heavy to start back up again. So I've been waiting to lose this weight before I began running again. Well, that's not happen too quick! Now I see all of you are doing it so I am going to give it my best shot!

I have an I-Phone so I am going to download an app. Like some of you are doing.

My Stats:

Age- 53
    5'6"
    SW- 216
    CW-203
    GW-155

Run with the wind at "our" backs!!!!!!
    CJ
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    This is great! I'm so glad to see everyone supporting each other, and the timing of finding this group is perfect!

I downloaded a c25k app from Run Double. It's a 9 week program and I'm in week 7. I'm to the point where I'm just supposed to run for 25 minutes straight, but it's difficult. I've not yet done it, but I will! My company hosts a 5k every august near atlanta, and last year I was a volunteer. And the year before that. And the year before that.

So, I'm going to DO it this year. I had gastric bypass in July of last year and was just 1 month out at the 5K last year, so this year I want to show what a difference a year can make. I hope to be able to run it all. 6 weeks ago, I would have thought that was unrealistic, but now with just 2 months left, I really think I might make it! Here are my stats, and please feel free to friend me if you want to stay connected!

Age - 31
    5'5
    SW 343
    CW 228
    GW 150
    \
    This is awesome stuff!! You can be more than a volunter lady!! Woot WOot awesome im so excited for everyone!! I have the same program as you I just did day 1 yesterday
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Hi,

My name is CJ and I am very excited about running with all of you! I use to be a runner, I even ran The Disney Marathon in 2000. I stopped running about 10 years ago because of a ankle injury. Then I gained about 40 lbs and I always thought that was too heavy to start back up again. So I've been waiting to lose this weight before I began running again. Well, that's not happen too quick! Now I see all of you are doing it so I am going to give it my best shot!

I have an I-Phone so I am going to download an app. Like some of you are doing.

My Stats:

Age- 53
    5'6"
    SW- 216
    CW-203
    GW-155

Run with the wind at "our" backs!!!!!!
    CJ

You can do this!! I love your ambition!! woot woot marathon here you come!!