Timed or Distance

Options
How are you doing your C25k? I dont really know which one I should chose!!

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    How are you doing your C25k? I dont really know which one I should chose!!

I do the timed version. I'm not worried about distance so much as endurance. When my endurance is built up I'll worry about distance. :)

For me knowing that I'm done in 25-30 minutes is a huge motivator. I like countdowns... they keep me focused. :)
  • Neondragonfly
    Neondragonfly Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree with penrbrown, I'm going to do the timed version. Distance would just freak me out and then I'll probably never get started in the first place. Good luck with whichever you choose.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Timed it is :-)
  • heatherambrosia
    Options
    Yeah, I'll throw my 2 cents in for timed, too! It is very motivating to see a finite amount of time you'll have to keep going.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Timed. Definitely timed!:smile:
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    timed!
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I went for timed, think its easier to hit as a beginner :-)
  • CJ33711
    CJ33711 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Timed sounds better for me because I am a beginner again:)
    CJ
  • ALISHAWILLIAMSON
    ALISHAWILLIAMSON Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm going for timed as well. I don't have a treadmill, so all my running takes place outdoors. It's hard to track distances right now. Which brings me to another question; treadmill or outside? Is there really a difference?
  • JenniferDent_CHC
    JenniferDent_CHC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Which brings me to another question; treadmill or outside? Is there really a difference?

Yes!! If you read my intro post, you'll see that I trained for 9 weeks on a treadmill. When I eventually ran outside, I felt like I had never run a day in my life! The effort it takes to run outside is completely different than running on a treadmill.

If you never plan to run outside, that training on a treadmill is fine. I'm starting over with my running and this time all my runs will be outside.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    If you read my intro post, you'll see that I trained for 9 weeks on a treadmill. When I eventually ran outside, I felt like I had never run a day in my life! The effort it takes to run outside is completely different than running on a treadmill.

If you never plan to run outside, that training on a treadmill is fine. I'm starting over with my running and this time all my runs will be outside.

This is absolutely my experience, as well. Or, rather, I began on a treadmill, things were humming along fine. Then around week 3 I went outside for the first time, as the weather finally allowed it. It definitely seemed more challenging than on a treadmill, even though the literature says it makes no difference.

It wasn't such a big difference in my case, but it was definitely different. And more challenging.

The treadmill is "softer," you get a bit of a bounce off of it. Running outside means you are on firmer ground, your body has to absorb more of the impact. For those with knee or shin problems, this could make a difference. Good form probably matters more, as well.

If you are training for an actual 5k, make sure you run outside sometimes before race day. You may be in for a rude surprise...

--Prahasaurus
  • CJ33711
    Options
    I am having trouble downloading a c25 app., so I went out this morning and walked fast for 18 mins. It's a start:)

CJ
  • CJ33711
    Options
    Today I walked 4mph for 30 mins with a jog of 20 seconds in between:)
    CJ
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I posted a reply in another thread on the other C25K group page, but it's worth a look if you're wondering whether or not you'll be prepared to run a 5k after the 9 weeks.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/634006-when-did-you-actually-run-5k