need advice/experience....

Options
I have PCOS and have been on Metformin for 5 months. I'm gonna get a blood test in early july, then i'm gonna go home for a 1 month holiday.

I'm thinking of temporarily stopping metformin while during my 1 month holiday and i wonder if thats okay. I know some of you will say see what the test shows, but i wont be getting my test results untill after my holiday.

I'm currently taking 500mg 3xdaily and if i stop it from mid July-August, will it affect me at all? I'm really worried about it.

I dont feel comfortable taking tablets when i go home. It will make my mom worry, and i'm scared that people will think i'm diabetic, taking weight loss tablets, i'm sick and what not. I rarely get to go home and i just don't want to ruin it with people trying to care for me by saying what alternatives i should do instead of taking drugs...T_T

I know i sound a little stupid, and i hope you guys wont judge me. I just need some advice or has anyone tried stopping metformin and going back on them again? will they have the same effect?

thank you!

Replies

• bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I don't believe metformin has much of a 'half-life' which means it won't be positively affecting your system much longer after you stop taking it. If you had side effects when you first started it, they will be the same when you go back on it. I know, personally, I had an upset stomach for a while in the beginning and would hate to go through that again. You will likely feel sluggish and possibly a bit ill when you stop too, that would stink to feel like that when you're on holiday. If it has regulated your glucose levels since you started, you will lose all of that progress when you stop for a month and then you have to start all over again and that’s not good either. And I don’t know about you, but when I’m on holiday around my family I tend to eat worse than when I’m at home on my routine, so you’ll need that extra help from the metformin too. I hate to say to hide it from your family, but if you're that worried then maybe you should do so, I really wouldn’t stop. Talk to your doctor about it though, they can give you the best advise.
  • Shyhmim
    Shyhmim Posts: 27
    Options
    I know. I will try. Yeah im sure I will eat worse with home food and what not. I asked my doc abt it, she just told me that it would delay treatment for pcos. I dont really get the whole picture. But thanks for ur reply..i am thinking of maybe taking them at a less obvious time..sigh
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    One of the best things to do for PCOS is to lose weight, but it's a huge struggle if you're not getting help controlling your glucose levels from a medication like metformin. I had PCOS when I was skinny too, but it was not as painful or as bad.

So this is a simple breakdown on how I understand PCOS. I could be a bit off, I'm not a doctor, but I've had it for a long time and I read waaaay too much:
    -The excess fat causes your body to release extra estrogen which in turn makes the cysts much larger and more frequent.
    -The insulin resistance makes it so your body has difficulty regulating it's glucose levels and causes difficulty burning excess glucose which leads to difficulty losing weight and/or easier to gain weight. Insulin burns glucose... or something like that.
    -Metformin acts kinda like insulin and makes it easier for you burn glucose, so it does not create excess weight and/or you can burn it easier to lose weight.

Maybe you can read up on the condition so you can explain it to your family right off the bat? Tell them what you have (PCOS), what contributes to it (being insulin resistant), and what you're doing to get yourself healthy (eating right, losing weight, and taking medication to regulate your glucose levels.) Maybe if you're open and clear they'll end up being a big support system for you.

I truly suggest reading up on the condition. Knowledge is power!
  • MrsGoHard
    MrsGoHard Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this because I can't tell you all how much I HATE taking my medicine when I go to visit my family for all of the same reasons. My family is also VERY unhealthy. Everyone smokes, drinks, and eats tons of salt. lol. SO I know the feeling. Please don't stop taking your metformin. I stopped taking mine during "condition denial" which lasted at least 2 months. So now I'm back to easing myself back up to 2000 mg's a day. And nothing about that feels good.
  • PrincessShay135
    Options
    When I have stopped because I cannot afford a refill or something getting back on can be hard with experiencing all of the side effects again until my body gets used to it. I would not stop unless you get your doctors ok. Just don't take it in front of anyone if you are afraid of worrying them or having to explain. I hope you have a good visit.