Coming out

Options
AlexanderK1994
AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
So... yeah. This is probably my first post in this group, if I'm right.
I'm bisexual and currently in a long-distance relationship with a girl. I talk to my friends at college about us, I figure that they must find it annoying when I always go "my girlfriend this" or "my girlfriend that" :D but they accept it. I also told my sister (her question: "does that mean you're never gonna get married or have kids?" made me smile ><), my brother (he took it quite well and when I told him I want to tell mum but I'm afraid he said that parents might not be so open minded) and his wife (she went "are you mad?" in a joking way, then I joked that she's safe because I'm in a relationship already ;)).

Now my real problem.
I live with my sister, my mum and my step-dad. Quite frankly, I don't really care what my step dad thinks, he doesn't like my sister living with us because his computer hasn't got a room now. (We live in a 3 bedroom house, yea...) But I really, really want to tell my mum. My girlfriend said that I should probably wait till I don't live with her anymore and I just watched a video telling you to wait till you've got a house to return to. ... I don't know.

Any advice, anyone?

Replies

• valoriemarie627
    Options
    I didn't really have to come out or tell my parents. it all happened so fluidly. But I have heard the stories for people in the situation. You never know how someone could react. I'm not one to tell anyone to "stand down" in fact I'd really love to tell you to just tell her and see what happens because she can't tell you who to be or anything like that. But, if you do get 'cut off' you need to be taken care of still. Think of your situation. Is there anywhere you could live, eat, do you go to school. everything will get affected if the situation takes a turn for the worst. But try not to wait too long. Look for a job, house, apartment, room mates, dorm, anything you need. Maybe go ahead and take the steps of moving out completely. Then tell her. or you could get everything ready and tell her then if she doesn't freak out, you can stay living there. Idk your situation. But I've seen hard times for others...
  • AlexanderK1994
    Options
    I go to college (I believe that's high school in the US) and I'm looking for a part time job so that I can move out when I plan to. That is when I finish college. I want to go onto university in a different country. Thank you for your time. :)
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    I was made homeless for a brief time after I came out to my mum and dad in late 2001, and some truly horrifying events took place in that time. I was 15 when I came out, and at that time I thought it was kind of important to tell them. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, and if I could go back in time and only change one decision I would change that one. However, sometimes it does go well when one comes out to their parents.

My advice is to be careful. You really can't know how your mum will react. You can hope, but you can't be sure, and that's exactly why it is a good idea to make sure you have a plan in place for if it goes badly.

Good luck to you, love. :flowerforyou:
  • marieanneranaldi
    Options
    i think a mother love for her daughter is unconditional so i think yes it will hurt or there mayb be shock horror but given time i think she will think nothing off it as u are her flesh and blood so why should u be any diff gay straight or anything ur her daughter..
  • AlexanderK1994
    Options
    I was made homeless for a brief time after I came out to my mum and dad in late 2001, and some truly horrifying events took place in that time. I was 15 when I came out, and at that time I thought it was kind of important to tell them. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, and if I could go back in time and only change one decision I would change that one. However, sometimes it does go well when one comes out to their parents.

That's really horrible... Thank you for your answer, this really means a lot. Also, it's true that I don't know how my mum would react. I told my counsellor that I want to tell my mum (especially after her questions if my male friend that walked me home a couple of times is my boyfriend) and she asked me if I feel brave enough but we never considered this idea... *sighs*
    i think a mother love for her daughter is unconditional so i think yes it will hurt or there mayb be shock horror but given time i think she will think nothing off it as u are her flesh and blood so why should u be any diff gay straight or anything ur her daughter..

That's very true. But... as it is a long process, I should probably have a back up plan as it is being suggested. I'm very thankful for all your replies.
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options

I really wish I could believe this. :( Unfortunately though this isn't true in my life.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i didn't come out to my mom until i was 28 and independent, though i'd been bringing girls around for years before that so it shouldn't have been much of a surprise. it took her about 2 weeks to come around, in which time i agonized over whether i'd have her in my life or not, but she just needed her own space to work through it. if your mom is forward thinking, progressive (whatever you want to call it) and knows you well, you'll probably be ok. if your mom is more conservative, traditional, and would be utterly shocked by your coming out, you might want to hold off until you have a safe place to lay low until she comes around. it's awful to have to live in secret, but it does sound like the other members of your family are supportive and care about you. keep us informed and good luck!
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What Wendyapple is really good advice.

I'm debating when and how to come out to my dad about being trans. I'm 38 with a wife and kids and facing a difficult divorce within the next 12-18 months. I've come out to many people, even a couple this week, but I'm just not sure how to approach this with my dad.

I hope your coming out goes well!
  • AlexanderK1994
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I'd say my mum is quite traditional and she doesn't really know me. We only began living together properly nearly 5 years ago. (She divorced my dad and was living in another country.) I'd want to share everything that's happening in my life with her but for now I'm trying to satisfy that need by sharing my success in weightloss with her :)

It is the most difficult to come out to your parents, isn't it...
  • kerbear48185
    kerbear48185 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think coming out is a deeply personal endeavor that only you truly have the answer to. My only advice would be to follow your instincts. Your safety and well-being has to be your primary concern. If you feel strongly that it is something you must do - then move forward. If you have serious doubts, it may be better to wait until you feel more secure in your situation.

I came out to my parents when I was 16. They each had different reactions (my Dad was super nonchalant and not suprised, my Mom was offended initially, but got over it as I gave her no choice). However, I did not have any fears about being kicked out of the house in reaction to this news. I've been a tomboy for a long time so I don't think either of them were really that suprised.

Good luck to you in your journey and congratulations on accepting yourself for who you are. What you think about you is what matters most! :wink:

-KerBear
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Have you tried maybe mentioning the lifestyle to her?!
    Not in a way that makes it as though its apart of you life but the lifestyle in general?
    It might be easier to know how she feels about it first, yet again it could make it harder to come out to here.
    You gotta figure out if its worth it or not.

I didnt have to come out to my mom, she asked me one day on her own.
    Having a lesbian aunt in my family I guess made it kind of easier for my family to accept me for who I am.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with a similar situation. I live with mom and her husband and I really want to tell mom. Maybe she won't like it but she's a very accepting and supportive person, so I think she'll be okay with it if she gets time to get used to it. Her husband is the problem, he is very conservative. Although I'm not planning on coming out to him (unless I get a girlfriend, then he'll find out anyway), I know there's a risk that my mother will tell him. If so, he might kick me out. I just got a job and I'm working on finding my own place to live. It's not the way I want it to be, I want to just tell her but I feel like my security is more important. I don't really have a friend who can help me if this situation would occur, so...

To plan in advance is the best choice IMO, but if you feel like you have to lie to her all the time and that you're restricted because of it, maybe the best thing to do is to come out to her and hope that everything goes well. Do what feels right and whatever you do, good luck. :)
  • celtictechie
    Options
    I thought my dad was going to disown me, but he didn't. I don't recommend coming out like I did, but it made an impact. I almost want to parade him around now. Extreme right-wing conservative who firmly believed that gays could not get married and that anything that was "different" was "bad." I'm genderqueer. Female-bodied but with an extremely masculine leaning. I always dressed in guys' clothes and such, but my dad didn't think much of it. However, he was hating on trans* individuals and in a raging, crying fit I told him and I asked him how he could hate people when he's been living with one for 21 years.

Within moments, he was explaining to me that things change when it's your kid. It affects him now, and he can understand the challenges. He knows me well enough that I didn't "choose" this. He still doesn't totally understand (I came out in March) but he has been reading a lot of PFLAG resources and such to try to learn.

That is one thing I would recommend. Be sure you have resources, and don't come out like I did. It worked for me but that could have ended very badly. If you have resources to explain what you are feeling from a "scientific" standpoint, and from a way that can empathize with the shock a parent will feel, it can be very helpful and beneficial for the parent.
  • AlexanderK1994
    Options
    Thank you again for all the advice :) I think I'm going to wait until I'm safe with everything, even if I don't think she'd kick me out. But then again, we don't really know each other well. :( Ah, nothing to be done than to try to get to know each other. Thanks a lot <3
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I told my parents as they were dropping me back off at college. And I had an email in the waiting when they returned home to go into deeper discussion.

A) The distance time and space provided protection for myself, my feelings, as well as allowed them to think about the situation in a removed sense

B) Do what your head space makes you comfortable. Only you know yourself and your family :3

Best of luck.
  • Devonwood
    Devonwood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I definitely second (or third or fourth or fifth) being cautious when you tell your mother. I always thought my mom would be supportive and my dad would be the one to kick me out, but turns out it happened in reverse. At fourteen, being shipped off to my grandparents house over the summer because my mom couldn't stand the sight of me, I thought it was the end of the world. She eventually came around, but it's taken nearly six years for me to feel comfortable talking about going on date with girls, or even about social issues like gay marriage.

So definitely test the waters a bit first, and remain cautious. I would suggest waiting until you're more financially stable and independent before dropping the news.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    When I came out my mother disowned me and kicked me out of home. I ended couch-surfing for two months before being given a crappy run-down room in a woman's house by the council. I was seventeen and haven't spoken to her since (I'm nineteen, now).

Most parents are good parents who will love their children unconditionally, even if it takes them a while.

But sadly, this is not always the case.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    well here goes, i never had the talk with my parents, but during my growing up i see they knew something. i played with boys at boy games i would hear my parents whisper in the kitchen but nothing was said to me. as i grew older i thought i was different but nothing prepared me for what i was to learn , all the secrets the not understanding the wondering if i was the same as other girls. Then one day i went to my doctor, i had a lump, just a small one but wanted it checked. he didnt need to look he came straight out with it, i had a TESTICLE but even then i thought all girls may have them. I now know that i was born intersexed i had both sets of genitals and this was corrected at birth. So, i am left as ...... a camp straight man a lesbian who knows. My point is this, parents cannot always come to terms with there kids being different, mine didnt, i was the dirty secret. My father told me my mother never got over loosing the boy she should have had.but he never told me i was that boy.
  • ymug2001
    ymug2001 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I really wish I could believe this. :( Unfortunately though this isn't true in my life.

I wish my family would have supported me, but this isn't true in my life either.
  • AFreeheart
    AFreeheart Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Lots of great answers, all the way around!
    My mother asked me if I was gay when I asked her to give me a ride to (or pick me up at) a campus gay lesbian orgabization meeting in 1973. My grandmother once asked me if I was an invert ( 1920s medical term for queers).
    I've never had a conversation with my Dad about sexual orientation.
    I tried to come out to both my parents as trans in a letter in the early '90s. My mother intercepted it and hid it from my father because I also refered to him being an abuser). Coming out to my father now is moot..as I've been living in the gender role I wasn't
    assigned at birth for almost 20 yrs..
    I agree that waiting til you have living space of your own before brooching the subject is a good idea.