Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Tracking Calories from Crossfit

crashri
crashri Posts: 19 Member
I just started cross-fit after being a runner and swimmer and all around athlete. I've only done two elements classes so far and have my last one on Friday. I have a question about tracking exercises and calorie burn from Cross-fit. Traditionally, I would use an HR monitor to track my calory burn, but that doesn't seem to work great for the strength aspect of Cross-fit. 35 minutes elements today with ...
WarmUp (3 sets)
15X Box Jumps
20 Overhead Lunges
10 Knees to Elbows
10X 35lbs Medicine Ball Slams

Elements (3 sets)
300 m row
10X 15lbs wall ball
7X 75lbs sumo deadlift with high pull
5X Pull ups

I think that was the work-out, in all honesty I was more focused on not throwing up, but I only registered 563 calories on my HR monitor and I am sure it was more than that. Is there a better way to track exercises and calorie burn that anyone can recommend?

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    seems to be spot on. maybe a little high, but it really depends on your fitness level.
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    That is higher than what MFP estimates. I just put high aerobic exercise for 50 minutes, and its something like almost 400 calories.

I havent figured out what the best average estimate is yet. I dont have a HR monitor. I wonder what most people's calorie consumption is for a typical work out....
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    I usually put 'circuit training, general' for my crossfit workouts. It seems like it might be lowballing some of them, but I don't have a HRM yet so better safe than sorry I suppose.
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    I'm actually more than happy keeping a LOW consistent number, even if it underestimates what I burn -- I just put on MFP that I do high aerobic exercise at about ~370 calories per work out. This way I keep my intake low. I'm more concerned with moderation in my intake, keeping net calories to under 1200 per day. If I thought I burned 700, I'd say, fork over the chicken drumsticks and pork out. :-P

But I do want to start logging my exact work outs to see progress, not necessarily because I care about number of calories burned.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    i wore m HRM the last 3 times to crossfit... first workout burned 350... second burned 450 (HIGHEST EVER OMG was such a hard WOD haha) and yesterday I burned 340...yesterdays WOD was 3 set of 6 overhead squats then row 500m, break 2 min x 3.... usually burn 350-450 cals would be a good guess...
    (im 5'4 132 lb and never have a really high burn)
  • crashri
    crashri Posts: 19 Member
    Clearly I am much more out of shape than my 25 lbs overweight made me believe. By contrast, I ran 5 miles this morning in 38 minutes and burned 706.
  • dlescoe
    dlescoe Posts: 1
    I usually put 'circuit training, general' for my cross fit workouts as well and that seems to be pretty accurate! Good Luck!