Sound Advice

Options
MrsGoHard
MrsGoHard Posts: 150 Member
For the next few days, I'll be searching for a dietitian in the DC area. Of course I have PCOS, but I also have Insulin resistance. Should I see a dietitian that particularly works with PCOS'rs or type 2 diabetes, or will it not matter? I guess in short, what should I look for in a "good for my condition" dietitian? What should I look for and what (if anything) should I avoid?

Also, if any of you have seen a dietitian, or have had weight and exercise advice or practices that have been helpful and successful to you, what would you suggest?

Replies

• mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message with what my dietitian gave me. Following her simple plan, I have gotten a TOM every 30 to 33 days since March 2011
  • MrsGoHard
    Options
    I sent you a message with what my dietitian gave me. Following her simple plan, I have gotten a TOM every 30 to 33 days since March 2011

Thank you dearly! :smile:
  • laetitiaw
    laetitiaw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mistresseyor - Would you mind sharing the info with me too please? :)
  • michellevt725
    michellevt725 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Mistresseyor - Would you mind sharing the info with me too please? :)

Me too please?
  • mistresseeyore
    Options
    It's really basic. She told me that this spurs your body to use its insulin. This is what you do:

45 carb Breakfast
    30 carb Snack
    45 carb Lunch
    30 carb Snack
    45 carb Dinner
    30 carb Snack.

It works. I will also add that when I got pregnant with Alexander, PCOS carriers have a higher Gestational Diabetes factor, and they take this diet and minus 15 carbs from each of these.
  • MegSaddler
    Options
    Thats great info, thank you! I've been told by my doc when I do get PG I she wld have me on a Gestational Diabetes diet whether had it or not, but she didn't say what that would look like - so thanks again!

Wondering, do you watch your sugar and alcohol consumption too? I'm 4 months into treatment of PCOS and thats what I'm watching the most. No alcohol until my blood sugar & triglycerides are under control, no added sugars, low cal / low carb.
  • mistresseeyore
    Options
    I don't drink at all. I'm not a freak about whether people should drink, I just can't stand the smell or taste of alcohol. I don't deprive myself of anything I want, because that is the biggest way to destroy all the work you've done. In time, if you deny yourself anything you will break and eat more than what would have been easier if you had just had a little bit.
  • MegSaddler
    Options
    I normally am a drinker, but it hasn't been hard to stop. I just have to do it for the triglycerides and when its controlled then I can have it again in moderation. I cheat with sugar here and there too, bcz you're right, you'll binge if you don't give in a little to cravings. Not having it in the house has really helped so far.

My next dr appt is mid-April & Im hoping my numbers are good enough that we can TTC again. Its been my main motivation. Good to know there is wiggle room in the diet once I'm out of the woods! Thanks! :)
  • mistresseeyore
    Options
    Just remember if you drink something put it in your diary. Let's make sure we know how much we are really putting in our body. Yes, I log my coffee, creamer, and milk. Alcohol should be no different for anyone that does partake of it.
  • wongleweed
    wongleweed Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MrsGoHard
    Options
    Bump again.... great info ladies - I'm back on it. Yall know the drill.